Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bob Seger's Back Catalog Has Disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not sure that we would consider Petty a heartland singer here in the midwest since he was from Florida, but he courts a similar audience. Petty never did much for me though, and I would rate the other 3 that you mention higher.
    Well, Wikipedia says Petty most definitely performs "Heartland Rock", whatever the frell that is. I liked Petty becuase he used a lot of electric 12 string on his early records. I don't really know the first couple records, but I actually rather liked Damn The Torpedoes, Hard Promises, Long After Dark, and Southern Accents. There was a good concert film from the Southern Accents tour, called Pack Up The Plantation, which I thought was really good. I like around Full Moon Fever, he sort of lost me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Anything West of the Hudson River is Heartland.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    While I'm well aware you said that in jest, actually it's perfect testimony for why I'm so f*****g happy that I don't live there anymore.

The famous New Yorker Magazine map reflects perfectly the skewed, clueless perception of all the urban cowboys & cowgirls of what the rest of the country is about. You need look no further than recent elections and the resultant shock waves that are still cresting.

And remember, I'm a liberal Jew born & raised in Sodom.

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Amen, baby!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not sure that we would consider Petty a heartland singer here in the midwest since he was from Florida, but he courts a similar audience. Petty never did much for me though, and I would rate the other 3 that you mention higher.
    Well Springsteen is from Joysy, ain't he? not really Heartland either

that puts Bruuuuce in Heartland then
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Seger
    Mellencamp
    SDpringsteen
    Tom Petty
    I don't care for any of these. Clearly, I'm in the wrong thread.

Seger is okay. I saw him once in the mid-80s, after hearing for years about what a great showman he is. The guy was a cardboard cutout. Very boring.

Never liked Mellencamp. The guy has a tough time carrying notes.

Never bought into Springsteen's blue collar act.

Petty seems like a cool guy with whom I could hang out, but I never cared for his music.

These guys all have talent, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

BTW, Long Island is Heartland too.

BTW, Long Island is Heartland too.
    As long as Theresa Caputo, the LI Medium is around, no it's not.

Besides, that means that Westchester County, as well as Fort Lee, Clifton, Hoboken and all of the other northern NJ towns are also entrenched in the heartland.
    Last edited by progeezer; 04-02-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    As long as Theresa Caputo, the LI Medium is around, no it's not.

Besides, that means that Westchester County, as well as Fort Lee, Clifton, Hoboken and all of the other northern NJ towns, as well as Westchester County are also entrenched in the heartland.
    Those Jersey towns yes, and some of Westchester but not where I am.

Those Jersey towns yes, and some of Westchester but not where I am.
    OK, I'll clarify....Westchester County all the way northeast to Greenwich, CT.

My wife worked as governess/nanny in Greenwich in the late 70s. Apparently her neighborhood was all Wall St types and some guys would had retired from "family" businesses. They had an exceptionally low crime rate due to the fact that you just don't burgle a house if you weren't sure that instead of the cops, the owner would call Vinnie and Sal.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    OK, I'll clarify....Westchester County all the way northeast to Greenwich, CT.
    You can have all of CT. I'm in Williamsburg-on-the-Hudson!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Seger is okay. I saw him once in the mid-80s, after hearing for years about what a great showman he is. The guy was a cardboard cutout. Very boring.

Petty seems like a cool guy with whom I could hang out, but I never cared for his music.

yeah, of those four I named, Seger is the one I like better, and Bruuuuuce is the one that bugs me most (too much airplay, still nowadays)

But I'm definitely not in that type of music.... I own nothing by them for the last three decades.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Somebody mentioned "Her Strut" as a tough song. I'll always remeber that as the entrance music for WCW manager/valet "Woman". She hung out with Kevin Sullivan and the Steiners, even the Four Horsemem. Her big mistake was hookng up with Chris Benoit.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Benoit

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I like jJohn Melloncamps hits. Jack And Dianne is a great song.
    Never been much of a John CougerCamp Mellonhead fan...!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    the author really looked-I found this like within two minutes on ebay and only that long because i had to scroll past a bunch of other old stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Seger-Sm...cAAOSwepJXYM5f
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

All of those artists have songs that are amongst the all time classics. They also have songs that I never want to hear again. Which songs are which? That's personal taste.

I have a soft spot for Bob Seger. His band, the Bob Seger System, was the first band I saw perform They were the opening act for BTO in 1975 in Sydney, Nova Scotia. They meant nothing to me at the time, as it was my first concert and I was there for the headliner. I didn't understand the concept of an opening band.

The name 'Bob Seger' definitely rang a bell a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    All of those artists have songs that are amongst the all time classics. They also have songs that I never want to hear again. Which songs are which? That's personal taste.

I have a soft spot for Bob Seger. His band, the Bob Seger System, was the first band I saw perform They were the opening act for BTO in 1975 in Sydney, Nova Scotia. They meant nothing to me at the time, as it was my first concert and I was there for the headliner. I didn't understand the concept of an opening band.

The name 'Bob Seger' definitely rang a bell a few years later.
    That wouldn't have been the Bob Seger System. That was probably the Silver Bullet Band.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

That wouldn't have been the Bob Seger System. That was probably the Silver Bullet Band.
    Yes, by then they were the Silver Bullet Band and were huge everywhere. At the time, it was hard to believe it was the same guy.

Yes, by then they were the Silver Bullet Band and were huge everywhere. At the time, it was hard to believe it was the same guy.
    I think you missed my point. In 1975, it was the Silver Bullet Band, not the Bob Seger System, that you saw.

I think you missed my point. In 1975, it was the Silver Bullet Band, not the Bob Seger System, that you saw.
    I definitely remember them announced as the Bob Seger System. I may be shaky on the year. It does seem like it would have to be 1975, though it's so long ago I couldn't say for sure.

Edit: You are right on the name. They would have to be the Silver Bullet Band by the time I saw them (false memory syndrome). But, see them I did. I was so focused on BTO, my favorite band of the time, that I didn't take in much of Seger's performance. To this day, I'm not a huge fan. He's got a few songs I really like.
    Last edited by Mike D; 04-10-2017 at 12:29 PM.

I definitely remember them announced as the Bob Seger System. I may be shaky on the year. It does seem like it would have to be 1975, though it's so long ago I couldn't say for sure.

Edit: You are right on the name. They would have to be the Silver Bullet Band by the time I saw them (false memory syndrome). But, see them I did. I was so focused on BTO, my favorite band of the time, that I didn't take in much of Seger's performance. To this day, I'm not a huge fan. He's got a few songs I really like.
    Understood. It wouldn't be the first time a band was wrongly announced by a local promoter or venue.

Jefferson James
    If I ever hitchhike across the USA I'm wearing a blindfold for 2,500 of those miles so as to blot out the midwest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    the author really looked-I found this like within two minutes on ebay and only that long because i had to scroll past a bunch of other old stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Seger-Sm...cAAOSwepJXYM5f
    I was able to find one or two easily too. Things might have changed some since he wrote it, but there were some I couldn't find at a reasonable price. Not that I wanted any, I was just checking as I guess you were.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    If I ever hitchhike across the USA I'm wearing a blindfold for 2,500 of those miles so as to blot out the midwest.
    And here I was going to save a beer for you...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart