Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Miller Band Flies High in Ryman Return (Review and Pics)

Steve Miller Band Flies High in Ryman Return (Review and Pics)

And, this is in the Main Forum because ...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Steve Miller is considered one of the founder's of progressive rock, that's why!

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/musi...-songs-7606735

Well, I don't know about that, but the article does call him a "rock god."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, I don't know about that, but the article does call him a "rock god."
    Which is not the same as a "Prog God," which can only be conferred by a magazine at a proper awards ceremony.

Steve Miller a founder of Prog-Rock? Really? You gotta love the internets.

Just before this "founder of progressive rock" headed out on tour, he was sued for backing out of buying a $6.7 million mansion in Dutchess County at the last minute and leaving the owner in a lurch. Miller says he couldn't get a mortgage. The seller says Miller is worth $40 million and didn't need to worry about a mortgage.

http://www.realtor.com/news/celebrit...-6-7m-mansion/

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

Steve Miller a founder of Prog-Rock? Really? You gotta love the internets.
    zzzzzaaakkly! I learn something new everyday because.......... Internet

this isn't an exact science... one man's PROG is another man's GROP

Quote Originally Posted by lwpmedia View Post
    this isn't an exact science...
    No, but it is shameless promotion.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Learn how to do your filing correctly. Ding dong! Miller is about as prog as my ass.

Actually, less...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Steve Miller a founder of Prog-Rock? Really?
    Well, he did use a Mellotron in '68, so there's that! Maybe he's a founder of proto-Prog?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Well, he did use a Mellotron in '68, so there's that! Maybe he's a founder of proto-Prog?
    Plus, in 1970 while at a record store, he picked up that first King Crimson album, and looked at both sides of the cover.

i was considering going to this show because of Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives, Steve Miller was an added bonus, sounds like i missed i great show.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    i was considering going to this show because of Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives.
    These guys are badass cool. Put Junior Brown on the bill and you've got a redneck Woodstock.

These guys are badass cool. Put Junior Brown on the bill and you've got a redneck Woodstock.
    Junior Brown is great! I saw him open for Bob Dylan several years ago and he was a total hoot.

There's actually about as much or even somewhat more of that wonderful "prog" on the first three/four Miller records by 1967-69 than on those Asia ones in the early 80s, but hey.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Junior Brown is great! I saw him open for Bob Dylan several years ago and he was a total hoot.
    Big fan of Junior, i saw him a few years back with Los Straightjackets opening. When i pulled up to park my car behind the bar he and his boys were just getting out of there rented van putting on their cowboy hats, it was cool as hell.

Steve Miller.

There's music I find more annoying, but offhand I can't think of what. It's like having maple syrup poured in your ear, and I like it about as much as I'd like having maple syrup poured in my ear. The music is blues-rock with no balls, just maple syrup, and the lyrics are clearly bad by intention, but so bad they aren't even funny. I suppose I find Jimmy Buffet as annoying, but a lot of that is his drunken aging-frat-bro fans, and he's said to be a fairly nice guy personally, even if his music's cheesy.

The first four or five Steve Miller albums were great, but certainly not prog. Psychedelic rock. It does fall in the category of good music, which is all
    that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    The first four or five Steve Miller albums were great.
    The first four, for me.

The first four, for me.
    Sailor is outright magnificent - and also one of the most intelligently constructed US West Coast psych albums from that year (1968).

People are rather obviously coloured by Miller's later merits (which beyond Your Saving Grace were admittedly pretty bad from a strictly musical point of view, except for parts of Fly Like an Eagle). The man's early releases (especially when Boz Scaggs and Ben Sidran were his sidemen) were both creative, thoughtful and artistically heartfelt.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Sailor is outright magnificent - and also one of the most intelligently constructed US West Coast psych albums from that year (1968).

The man's early releases (especially when Boz Scaggs and Ben Sidran were his sidemen) were both creative, thoughtful and artistically heartfelt.
    With talents like that in the Steve Miller Band, I suppose it could have been, in a sense, like the J. Geils Band - where the band's namesake was not the bandleader, and the name was an accident of history.

^ John, the initial name of the band (on producer/manager David Rubinson's insistance) was actually The Steve Miller Blues Band. However, the first SMB album, Children of the Future, contains little blues - and what's there sounds as if it's almost from an alien planet of sorts. Sailor rests somewhere between musique-concréte-laden acid ambience, dreamy psychedelic pop, energetic rock'n'roll and bastardian blues-rock, quite on the heels of another such-named act, Paul Butterfield's.

When I tell people I'm "sort of" a Journey fan, I often hurry to emphasize the fact that I really fancy their first two records - at which point the average Jounrey fan would frown and the semi-uninitiated wouldn't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Children of the Future, contains little blues - and what's there sounds as if it's almost from an alien planet of sorts.
    Here's hoping the "alien planet" that birthed "Key To the Highway" has long since been incinerated by the space gods of good taste.