Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midnight Oil- 2017 World Tour

Yep. They broke up for a while in 2002. Peter Garret went on to be an attorney and activist(if I'm not mistaken).

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    I think that all the US dates are sold out. Do I really have it right that the band has not really toured since 2002?

Library Jon
    Peter Garrett was elected to the Australian parliament, and the band went on hiatus at that time.

I think that all the US dates are sold out. Do I really have it right that the band has not really toured since 2002?

Library Jon
    I think they underestimated their draw. The places they are playing are pretty small.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think they underestimated their draw. The places they are playing are pretty small.
    Apparently but in all fairness the band hasn't put out an album since 2002 so it's understandable they would not want to book them in really big places.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well, ranking the ones I have according to how much I like them:

1) Blue Sky Mining
    2) 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    3) Earth And Sun And Moon
    4) Redneck Wonderland
    5) Diesel And Dust
    6) Capricornia
    7) Breathe

Toughest calls are between 1 and 2, and 3 and 4.
    I just got in Red Sails In The Sunset and gave it a first listen tonight. I'd have to say the first impression was pretty underwhelming. However, it's a first impression and could change. To each their own. My new ranking, subject to change:

1) Blue Sky Mining
    2) 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    3) Earth And Sun And Moon
    4) Redneck Wonderland
    5) Diesel And Dust
    6) Capricornia
    7) Red Sails In The Sunset
    8) Breathe

Been listening to the Oils a lot since this thread started, not sure I don't like Redneck Wonderland better than Earth And Sun And Moon.

My ticket came in the mail today for the Philadelphia Keswick Theater show, so bring it on! I'm ready! 5th row.

Library Jon

I hope other cities and dates will be added on. I'd really love to see these guys in Montreal.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

My copy of the "10, 9, 8 " album came in the mail on Friday. I have been listening to it all weekend. "Outside World" and "Screaming In Blue" stand out as strong album tracks.

Library Jon

^ For me, "Short Memory" and "U.S. Forces" are the standouts on that album, but because of the lyrics, they would not have made good choices for singles in the US.

My copies of Midnight Oil's "Redneck Wonderland" and "Earth And Sun And Moon" came in the mail a few days ago and I have listened to them a few times each. They are both very good. I like the 90s metal influence on the RW album. Has anyone pursued the big new box set that they are only selling online so far? I see that it is only available in limited quantities.

Library Jon

I ordered the rarities & DVD tin. Wondering if I should order a 2nd to resell later. I expect the price to rise a good bit on the second hand market.

Now that the tour seems to have started, could those going to the shows please post their thoughts on their performance that night? I would love to know what is being sold at the merch table. Shirts? Maybe extra box sets? How much?

Library Jon

Saw them w. Hunters & Collectors in 1990. That was like forever ago. They used the H & C horn section for their set (nothing says rock n' roll like french horns). Helluva show. If there was an Ottawa date I would certainly go, but there isn't.

Saw them back around 84 or 85, they were cool but not great...

The USA tour has officially begun. Has anyone seen them yet? Any stories to be told?

Library Jon

The Philadelphia Keswick Theatre show is tonight! I will post the set list later in the week. I don't think it would really be a spoiler because it seems to be a different show every night.

Library Jon

The Philadelphia Keswick Theatre show is tonight! I will post the set list later in the week. I don't think it would really be a spoiler because it seems to be a different show every night.

Library Jon
    Looking forward to your review.

I asked someone on Twitter how Peter's voice was and he said it was tremendous.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I had the pleasure to see the Mighty Oils last Tuesday night. Excellent show! The band sounded great. Peter Garrett's voice sounded wonderful. It was a nice mixture of songs from different eras of the band's existence. The opening act called The BoyToy wasn't my taste. There were several nice shirts for sale at $30. They were also selling signed copies of the new box sets for $250.

Here is the set list:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/midnig...-7be782b8.html

Library Jon
    Last edited by Library Jon; 05-20-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Nice set list, sounds like it was a great show. Thanks for posting.

My Overflow Tank arrived a couple days ago. 4 CDs & 8 DVDs that will take some time to go through. I watched 2 of the DVDs tonight- The MTV Unplugged and the Capitol Theatre 1982. Musically great, especially the MTV one. The 2nd was great musically, but the visual aspect was a bit comical to me in light of the early 80s stage presentation.

I pre-ordered the Overflow box set through the ImportCDs website for $163 (plus $4 shipping). I got an email confirmation that it shipped on Friday. It just was not worth it to me to pay an extra $80 for a signed copy. Really looking forward to digging into this thing!

Library Jon

They must be coming back for another leg. I just bought tix to a Cleveland show in late August.

Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post
    Saw them w. Hunters & Collectors in 1990. That was like forever ago. They used the H & C horn section for their set (nothing says rock n' roll like french horns). Helluva show. If there was an Ottawa date I would certainly go, but there isn't.
    Wow. I hadn't thought about Hunters & Collectors in years! They were a great band!!!
    The Prog Corner