Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Jon Anderson live Yes albums

a yesshows box in the style of progeny would be great cause you would get three different tours represented. I know there were extra songs from those shows on word is live so seems like they probably have the full shows somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    a yesshows box in the style of progeny would be great cause you would get three different tours represented. I know there were extra songs from those shows on word is live so seems like they probably have the full shows somewhere.
    Not exactly. The Word Is Live featured extra tracks from the following shows:

Detroit 1976
    Oakland 1978
    Inglewood 1978
    Chicago 1979

Inglewood '78 and Chicago '79 are simply straight radio broadcast bootlegs. Detroit and Oakland, however, are from the collection of multitracks used for YesShows. Oakland wasn't actually used on YesShows, the only track released at the time was Roundabout on the Classic Yes bonus single. Speaking of that particular release, is it just the Atlantic 1994 remaster of was the original also ridiculously sped up? It would make sense if they sped it up to make it fit on the single.

[YesShows is my favourite Yes album of all time!!! ]

Mine too but part of that might be because of the part of their career it mostly covers(the 73-78 era). I like Yessongs too though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    At the Yes Q&A session on CTTE Steve or someone said, I think, that they might have enough tapes for something like Progeny for another tour -- the Drama tour possibly? Although they also said we were all crazy for listening to all the shows on Progeny!

Anyone remember better than me?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    I like both bands, both Yes and ARW, but I haven't been happy at all with some of the things ARW's management seems to be pulling. I hope it doesn't stop releases from happening. Hope you're wrong Henry, but since you're "in the know", you're probably right
    I've heard nothing to suggest that might be the case. I am merely speculating. There are definitely possible archival projects in various stages of development. I presume they go more smoothly when all stakeholders are on talking terms, and slower when they're not.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    At the Yes Q&A session on CTTE Steve or someone said, I think, that they might have enough tapes for something like Progeny for another tour -- the Drama tour possibly? Although they also said we were all crazy for listening to all the shows on Progeny!

drama seems unlikely given that they had to resort to fairly low quality bootleg to get the track on the word is yes. not that they couldn't have discovered something I would love it if they did!

The eons are closing
    Long Beach '77 (best CTTE ever! IMO)
    Wembley '78,
    Quebec '79 and
    Any full well balanced Moraz show.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Imo, both Genesis and Yes need more official live albums. I think Genesis fares worse but really neither band are in the league of King Crimson or even Rush when it comes to archival live releases(or live releases in general).

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post

Inglewood '78 and Chicago '79 are simply straight radio broadcast bootlegs. Detroit and Oakland, however, are from the collection of multitracks used for YesShows.
    Pretty obvious The Word Is Live didn't use many multi-tracks, yes. Some of the late 70s stuff is very dry-sounding. I remember wondering if 'Future Times/Rejoice' was the studio version! And the Drama era material sounds like a tape in less than optimum condition.

That set has a lot of good things but other than the first disc which is all 1970-1, it doesn't play well as a complete listen IMHO. It's the same as Yesshows, somewhat piecemeal in terms of track selection.

I think some might be assuming that the FM broadcasts like Quebec, Roosevelt Stadium etc. have multi-track masters. It's more likely these were done on-the-fly purely for live broadcast IMHO. (Obviously Wembley is different.)

Well, yes, that box with pretty much identical set-lists on each show is not really for me, particularly with a band like Yes where there wasn't a significant amount of improvisation. But Progeny set an interesting precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    That seems to be the general consensus...which makes me glad I didn't buy any of the other post-Anderson live albums. I'm a big Yes fan, but "In the Present" was a disappointment with its slow tempos and sloppy performances. I wasn't expecting much - the only reason I bought it was because I had a Best Buy rewards coupon that was about to expire - but even with low expectations it was pretty underwhelming.
    I've only seen bits from this DVD release and remember the quality of the filming was excellent.. Having seen the band on two sperate tours with Oliver / Benoit lineup they certainly had their moments particularly Benoit's vocals.. but otherwise I thought it was a fair representation of Yes.. Might have to pickup this release at some point

It was the Union tour he mentioned as a possibility - saying they had 6 or so shows to work with possibly

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    The idea behind Progeny isn't necessarily to listen to all seven shows in a row. It just means when you are in the mood for a show from 1972 you now have seven great sounding choices, each of which has its own individual charms. I've been looking to get more YesWest live material myself. That is the era of the band that is most poorly served by the official live releases IMHO.

Lyon is the only one of the post Anderson live albums that I ever play, mainly for the two Drama tracks. It is a pretty nice sounding recording that definitely makes me think Oliver Wakeman got a raw deal as you can hear what he is doing really well on it and his performances are excellent IMHO.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    It was the Union tour he mentioned as a possibility - saying they had 6 or so shows to work with possibly
    Oh, right. Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    The idea behind Progeny isn't necessarily to listen to all seven shows in a row. It just means when you are in the mood for a show from 1972 you now have seven great sounding choices, each of which has its own individual charms. I've been looking to get more YesWest live material myself. That is the era of the band that is most poorly served by the official live releases IMHO.

Lyon is the only one of the post Anderson live albums that I ever play, mainly for the two Drama tracks. It is a pretty nice sounding recording that definitely makes me think Oliver Wakeman got a raw deal as you can hear what he is doing really well on it and his performances are excellent IMHO.
    That reminds me: Howe also said he thought they should do some of the Keys Studio stuff live.

I've not heard a post-Anderson live album that I've liked in any way. And not because of the vocalists. The band is generally sloppy, earlier ones had songs played at way too slow tempos, and while they subsequently corrected that they sound loose and lacking in cohesion.

Sad, but to my ears anyway, true....
    John Kelman
    Senior Contributor, All About Jazz since 2004
    Freelance writer/photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post

well ARW should have no complaints with that given it is the tour they claim to be trying to emulate.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I've only seen bits from this DVD release and remember the quality of the filming was excellent.. Having seen the band on two sperate tours with Oliver / Benoit lineup they certainly had their moments particularly Benoit's vocals.. but otherwise I thought it was a fair representation of Yes.. Might have to pickup this release at some point
    The visual aspect might be what makes the difference. I've only heard the CD version.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    The visual aspect might be what makes the difference. I've only heard the CD version.
    unfortunately the DVD included only includes roundabout and machine messiah in full from the show along with some other clips and interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    unfortunately the DVD included only includes roundabout and machine messiah in full from the show along with some other clips and interviews.
    Guess I figured the whole show was filmed.. Bummer.. I have plenty of ROIO's from that tour

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    I've heard nothing to suggest that might be the case. I am merely speculating. There are definitely possible archival projects in various stages of development. I presume they go more smoothly when all stakeholders are on talking terms, and slower when they're not.

Henry
    Thanks Henry, let's hope everything works out with both camps

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Guess I figured the whole show was filmed.. Bummer.. I have plenty of ROIO's from that tour
    The whole show was filmed and was meant to be released in 3D, but that never happened.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I feel the same with Rush- don't understand the demand for all these late-period shows of them playing material note-for-note.
    Because it's not note for note? ( At least since about 1994 on....And I know I'm not exactly talking King Crimson here either.)

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    I've not heard a post-Anderson live album that I've liked in any way. And not because of the vocalists. The band is generally sloppy, earlier ones had songs played at way too slow tempos, and while they subsequently corrected that they sound loose and lacking in cohesion.

Sad, but to my ears anyway, true....
    I share that view. Not really to Anderson not being there but due to the sloppy and slowness of the performances.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I feel the same with Rush- don't understand the demand for all these late-period shows of them playing material note-for-note.
    Can we take that to mean you wouldn't have gone and seen Rush live on one of the late-period tours?

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    The whole show was filmed and was meant to be released in 3D, but that never happened.

Henry
    Hmm..here's a thought..release it!