Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Gaga Halftime

Regarding the Grammy performance, Lars stated-""I mean he (Hetfield) was livid. I mean, he's aged really well and he's a pretty chill guy, but the first five or 10 minutes in that dressing room was not a lot of fun." http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gramm...cid=spartanntp
    ***Ultimately, Ulrich thinks the group gave a solid performance, adding, "We fought through it, and, you know, with the fire and Gaga in my lap for a minute at one point, it was just keep going, keep going. keep going. So we just fought through it, and a lot of people said it at least made for great television."
    Ulrich added, "In 35 years we've had a few mishaps," noting one experience where his platform didn't properly rise, adding, "I spent 15 minutes playing two or three songs under the stage."***
    Sh*t happens. It's how you hold yourself together while it happens that those witnessing it will remember. I defo enjoyed their collaboration even with the mic problem. The dancers, yeah, well, whatever. This was the Grammy's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    What's even lamer was earlier in the pre-ceremonies, Megadeth wins best metal album and while they walk to the stage 'Master of Puppets' plays. Yay Grammy's!
    At least they didn't play "Songs From The Wood" or "Aqualung".
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    At awards shows some of the audience "fans" are often put there by the event. I thought that was common knowledge. Maybe since I'm from Southern California I'm just used to the open calls that are often advertised for participants. Still, the same is done when events are held in New York and Florida. I don't see anything wrong with it. There's often a mix of actual fans and paid participants. Same thing happens in many music videos.
    And at some concerts, even. I recall the SF debut of Counting Crows--my band opened for them. Their label bussed in a bevy of beauties to swell the "audience." Welcome to the Biz.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I finally watched the video and got about halfway through. Those dancers are so un-metal, it's embarrassing.

I always felt she had a great voice; but I was never a Metallica fan. I do think she's trying a bit too hard in this particular performance. It is what it is. Seems perfectly fitting for the joke they call the Grammy Awards.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I do think she's trying a bit too hard in this particular performance.
    I was impressed, overall, but also agree with this. It was a little forced.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I was impressed, overall, but also agree with this. It was a little forced.
    Well, to be fair, we haven't seen her rock out with many hard rock/metal songs before, so we don't know how to gauge it based off of that.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It seems that Metallica has become the pop culture poster band for metal, the way Aerosmith was the poster band for Hard Rock in the nineties.

I tuned in long enough to see the dancers and then tuned out. What could have been a cool Two Worlds Collide moment, turned into yet another cringe inducing moment on the Grammys. They could fuck up a wet dream.

They could fuck up a wet dream.
    They did even worse in the 70s. But yeah, always been at least 15 years out of touch
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I suppose the dancers didn't bother me like it seems to have with others. Mötley Crüe and other bands have had dancers on their tours and it has never bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I suppose the dancers didn't bother me like it seems to have with others. Mötley Crüe and other bands have had dancers on their tours and it has never bothered me.
    I'd be disappointed if Motley Crue didn't have dancers.

But they're not Metallica.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

For those of you who need some dancer-free Metallica

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    For those of you who need some dancer-free Metallica
    I need Metallica free Metallica
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd be disappointed if Motley Crue didn't have dancers.

But they're not Metallica.
    They're not even Let's Active.

Live in the pouring rain, Citi Field, Flushing, NY- https://www.pscp.tv/w/1BRJjyyewqVGw
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973