Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mew - Visuals (2017)

Mew - Visuals (2017)

New album "Visuals" drops on April 28th.

New song below "Carry Me to Safety" reminds me of +/-. Quite dreamy. Excited!

https://mewsite.com/blog/2017/1/24/new-album-visuals

1. Nothingness And No Regrets
    2. The Wake Of Your Life
    3. Candy Pieces All Smeared Out
    4. In A Better Place
    5. Ay Ay Ay
    6. Learn Our Crystals
    7. Twist Quest
    8. Shoulders
    9. 85 Videos
    10. Zanzibar
    11. Carry Me To Safety

1st song and last track on the album "Carry Me to Safety"

Wow, so soon after +-, very cool
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Great news. +/- continues to get better with each listen and I expect this one will as well. New track sounds good, I think it'll be able to hold it's own with other Mew album closers.

Good band.
    The Prog Corner

Great news! Incredible that it's so soon after +- also, considering the long gap between that and No More Stories.

Very jazzed for this one.

yeah, the short gap between this and +/- makes me wonder if they wrote a lot of this music during that 6+ year gap.

Also unclear whose playing the Guitars as Bo Madsen left the band right before their tour in 2015. Maybe it's the guy who they had fill-in on that tour, Mads Wegner?

They even released a new track last year titled "Count to Ten" for the "Transformers: Roll Out" (Video Game Soundtrack)

They apparently wrote much of the album while on + - tour. I had tickets to that and then had to miss it, so I'm glad to see they'll be doing another world tour this year.

yeah, that tour was great, hopefully you'll be able to catch them on their next tour.

Mads I guess played some of the guitars

"85 Videos"

loving this new track "Twist Quest." The use of horns namely.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    loving this new track "Twist Quest." The use of horns namely.

Me too! Love the bridge especially. Thanks for posting!

Weird, I found Twist Quest the weakest of the three so far... maybe I'm missing something clever though (often the case with these guys).

That said I've already pre-ordered this.

just heard this record.

"Candy Pieces All Smeared Out" may catch some people off guard.

just heard this record.

"Candy Pieces All Smeared Out" may catch some people off guard.
    Interesting... I'm intrigued.

I realize one listen is not enough to really judge, but how did you rate it compared to +- and No More Stories?

Yeah, Twist Quest is my least favorite of my three thus far, but still pretty good.

Wish Mew could have enough stateside success to justify more widespread US touring.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Interesting... I'm intrigued.

I realize one listen is not enough to really judge, but how did you rate it compared to +- and No More Stories?
    hmm, at this point it's not as good as any of their what I think of as their "peak" period of Frengers/Kites/Stories

it's naturally, most similar to +-, but it's maybe a little more varied with jazz elements and like I mentioned, that track "Candy Pieces All Smeared Out" being, kind of un-Mew like, at least the 1st couple of minutes.

I dunno, I wonder if this album may be like No More Stories in that I'm not sure there's a huge standout track or two, but it may come across as better than the sum of its parts, like NMS.

hmm, at this point it's not as good as any of their what I think of as their "peak" period of Frengers/Kites/Stories

it's naturally, most similar to +-, but it's maybe a little more varied with jazz elements and like I mentioned, that track "Candy Pieces All Smeared Out" being, kind of un-Mew like, at least the 1st couple of minutes.

I dunno, I wonder if this album may be like No More Stories in that I'm not sure there's a huge standout track or two, but it may come across as better than the sum of its parts, like NMS.
    Thanks for the feedback. No More Stories was my favorite by them, followed closely by Kites. It took some time, but +- grew on me and I really like it now.

Very much looking forward to hearing the new one and seeing where they went with it. I thought we'd have to wait another 6 years to hear from Mew.

It's nice to have such a short time gap between the two most recent albums. Very much looking forward to hearing Visuals in it's entirety, but from what I've heard so far it definitely sounds like it has the most in common with +-, which I rate behind Kites/NMS. I have a particular dislike for the track 'The Night Believer' on +-; it strays far to close to common mediocre pop for my liking. Kites is the standout masterpiece for me, and the album that most influenced my band.

Speaking of +-, anyone here ever listen to the actual band +/-? Their album 'You Are Here' was a nice piece of work.

released today. Thoughts?

I'm curious about the Japanese bonus tracks now.

North American Tour just got announced. St.Paul August 13th for me.

https://twitter.com/mew/status/857972675150356481

Aug 3 New York, NY
    Aug 4 Brooklyn, NY
    Aug 5 Wsshington, DC
    Aug 7 Philadelphia, PA
    Aug 8 Boston, MA
    Aug 10 Toronto, ON
    Aug 11 Detroit, MI
    Aug 12 Chicago, IL
    Aug 13 St.Paul, MN
    Aug 15 Denver, CO
    Aug 16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 18 Vancouver, BC
    Aug 19 Seattle, WA
    Aug 20 Portland, OR
    Aug 22 San Francisco, CA
    Aug 24 San Diego, CA
    Aug 25 Santa Ana, CA
    Aug 26 Los Angeles, CA

I'll likely be down for the 9:30 club show. Looks like tickets go onsale around 5/11.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Would love to catch these guys, as I've never seen them in concert. Maybe I could swing a flight to Philly...

Haven't heard Visuals yet, but the vinyl is winging its way to my doorstep this afternoon and I'll give it a proper spin after work.

Well, my brother and I listened to my vinyl copy this evening after work. I brought a bottle of Glenmorangie Bacalta scotch over to his house and we had some of it while we listened to the new record. Overall a very enjoyable time, and something we don't get to do very often anymore so it was kinda special.

Gotta say, I very much enjoyed Visuals on first listen. I can hear similarities to +-, but it's still got quite a few differences. It'll take time to fully absorb, that's for sure. I really liked the songs Learn Our Crystals (very cool!), and Candy Pieces All Smeared Out (reminiscent of And The Glass-Handed Kites). This one seems more keyboard-heavy than +-, which is interesting. I think I've accepted that they will never make another No More Stories, which was my favorite. But that's okay; makes that album all the more special really.

Actually, I'm with you on just about all of it: first listen I'm liking Visuals maybe even slightly more than +-, more keyboards, and No More Stories is still their high watermark for me

Except, it was just a few swigs of Baileys, not scotch

^^^ Baileys, that's not bad either.

Giving the songs a few more listens today has (of course) further revealed some really great stuff going on. Absolutely love Learn Our Crystals, with its almost calypso-like rhythm patterns and then that totally out-of-left-field outro that really just elevates the song to a whole other level.

I think Visuals is a great companion to +-. Both are basically pop albums, and share a similar overall sound perhaps, but they each go in some different directions lyrically and with the arrangements. Like the sax break in Twist Quest, or the slightly unsettling "what's wrong with his eyes?" lyric in Ay Ay Ay.

But there definitely seem to be more keyboards this time around, which is always fine in my book.

No one else is talking about this one?

After spending some more time with it, I'm enjoying it even more actually. It has also caused me to reevaluate +- by revisiting it in the last week or so, and they really compliment each other well I think. They're evolving a bit, which is not a bad thing at all. And they still sound like Mew, so I'm happy.