Thread: Are YES Remixes of classic albums worth buying again?

Are YES Remixes of classic albums worth buying again?

I own the standard original CD versions of all of YES' studio recordings. However, over the last few years, newer remixed versions have been released. To be blunt, are these new versions worth buying their albums all over again?

Library Jon

Ember
    If you have a very good surround-sound system that can play the lossless (Blu-ray) 5.1 mixes without significant audio compromise, then IMO these releases are revelatory. They offer an opportunity to get inside the music and hear it with clarity and detail that may exceed what was available during the original sessions.

I can't say if this is something you might enjoy.

The new stereo mixes are also pretty spiffy, but I can't say they alone are worth a re-investment. Personally, I prefer them to what was previously available, but it's the multichannel that's the main event.

theres one group of sessions in particular -- I think its the 2009 Warner Japan remasters, that I really liked and was a drastically noticeable improvement coming straight from the originals (like you)

edit: I have heard that these are just MIJ versions of the Rhino remasters, but I never heard those so I dont know
    Last edited by klothos; 01-09-2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Rhino relation (?)

I bought all of the classic Yes vinyl back in the day ( ending with Tormato ).
    Later I bought a Yesyears box for cd copies of songs.
    I missed the sequencing of the original albums ( and the missing stuff ) so I have bought CTTE, Relayer, and Tales Wilson mix blu-rays.
    I have been very happy with the purchases. Both the stereo and 5.1. Some of the filler stuff is......completist.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I think they can be worth it for the extras. I've found the new stereo mixes to be inferior to the originals.

If your goal is just the original mixes which are included as a bonus on the Blu-rays, you can download the hi-res transfers at HDtracks for less.

If you enjoy surround, it's not like there are any other options in most cases.

No.

The surround-sound mixes sound terrible no matter what the caliber of system you are using, because music in 5.1 is inherently terrible.

I suppose we are referring to the SW mixes right? I was wondering that myself. I've heard that Tales is really good. I don't mind buying most of them again though. You can never have too many copies of Yes.