Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What current prog artists make "epic concept" albums today?

Salem Hill for the win.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

My band, Project Nightscape, just released a 58 minute, 13-track concept album, To Sin Against Our Mercies. The album features Grammy-nominated guitarist, Tony Gaglio, and musical contributions from Vinny Appice (Black Sabbath, Dio), Tobin Sprout (Guided by Voices) and Pete Trewavas (Marillion), among others. It tells the story of an itinerant doctor in 19th century Ireland who comes upon a blind boy who can seemingly communicate with the dead. The story ties into a larger mythos under the Nightscape banner, including a film, three books, a comic book and more. The CD will be available from CD Baby and others starting this weekend. In the meantime, you can preview and purchase the digital version on Bandcamp: https://projectnightscape.bandcamp.com/releases. I suggest you start with the last mini-epic track, "Starlost."

echolyn mei, if one song can be considered to be a concept.

Banned
    AeoS Memories Of A Dead Man (2016)

Bandcamp link

a0453648204_16.jpg

AeoS started to write „Memories Of A Dead Man“ back in 2008. It was the first song written by them and was released as „Memories Of A Dead Man - Part III“ on their first demo record in 2010.
    Finally, after 8 years the band brought the story to an end and finished the three piece conceptional album. Influenced by movies like Memento, tragedys like Hamlet and progressive music from the last 3 decades as well as modern metal, AeoS brings this story to life and into your imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    echolyn mei, if one song can be considered to be a concept.
    And if you want to include a 14-year old album on a list of "albums today". Its hard to believe that was 14 years ago.

Neal Morse

I am going to get the Project Nightscape disc- thanks for mentioning it.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Motorpsycho & Ståle Storløkken - The Death Defying Unicorn (not from 2016 though, but from 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I am going to get the Project Nightscape disc- thanks for mentioning it.
    Thanks for your support! You can order the CD now from the series website: www.nightscapeseries.com. Just let me know if you'd like a signed copy. I'd be happy to accommodate. And if you provide your email, I'd be happy to throw in a digital copy of the Nightscape comic book or a PDF of the latest novel

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have thought of Glass Hammer because I actually own several of those! I recommended some of the PE standards you all mentioned to my friend such as Transatlantic and Phideaux. I also told him to check out Dave Kerzner particularly if he is looking for the Floyd sound.

Nathan Mahl Heretik Vol I, ll and lll
    Nemo from france
    Darwin's Radio

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Project Nightscape View Post
    My band, Project Nightscape, just released a 58 minute, 13-track concept album, To Sin Against Our Mercies. The album features Grammy-nominated guitarist, Tony Gaglio, and musical contributions from Vinny Appice (Black Sabbath, Dio), Tobin Sprout (Guided by Voices) and Pete Trewavas (Marillion), among others. It tells the story of an itinerant doctor in 19th century Ireland who comes upon a blind boy who can seemingly communicate with the dead. The story ties into a larger mythos under the Nightscape banner, including a film, three books, a comic book and more. The CD will be available from CD Baby and others starting this weekend. In the meantime, you can preview and purchase the digital version on Bandcamp: https://projectnightscape.bandcamp.com/releases. I suggest you start with the last mini-epic track, "Starlost."
    Interesting! Where can we view the film? Is Trewavas part of it?

Ah, it's a narrative film that received a VOD release back in 2012. It's still available via iTunes and Amazon Instant. It can also be ordered from the Nightscape series website. Note that the concept album is now available on CD from Bandcamp and CD Baby. It can also be previewed via streaming services like Spotify and Pandora (though the first track on Spotify requires fixing; somehow the service substituted a transition for the actual song).

Cheers!