Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Leon Russell

RIP Leon Russell

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

2016 continues to be the worst year since 1968.

RIP Leon!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Just saw this.

At his best he was stellar and seminal as US singer-songwriter. He was up there with Browne, Dr. John, Zevon, Chapin, Nilsson and Newman.

A huge loss for popular music.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Wow, didn't see this coming. Sad.

Writer of several bona fide standards- 'Superstar', 'A Song For You', 'This Masquerade', 'Delta Lady' etc.

RIP.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Was not expecting this. What a loss! Rest in peace, Leon.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Another gut punch. What a completely effed-up year this has been.

If you saw the Cameron Crowe doc "The Union" with Leon and Elton from 2011, Leon appeared very fragile even then.

Going now to spin Leon's triple-live album "Leon Live". Rest In Peace.

Sorry to hear this. I love those first three albums he recorded in the early 70s. And the 1979 video with JJ Cale.

What a loss.

Not only such a brilliant songwriter but what a fantastic arranger. The guy arranged so much of the music coming out of LA in the late 60s.

Saw him play live back around 2010 at a live outdoor blues concert. He still had good chops, but was fragile on stage using a cane. Good voice still. RIP

Wow. Just within days of losing Leonard. RIP.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    And to think, his first claim to fame was as a Playboy.

I have the shelter people album somewhere with Marc Benno. Wasn't leon one of the wrecking crew with Glen Campbell and Carol Kaye?
    Still alive and well...

One of the great live performers in rock. I would point to Mad Dogs and Englishmen, and the stellar "Jumpin' Jack Flash/Youngblood" Medley on the Concert for Bangladesh.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    And to think, his first claim to fame was as a Playboy.
    This is pretty mindblowing if you concentrate on Leon’s keys, and not Gary’s voice:

Ooh, that celeste!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Very late becoming a fan of Leon Russell. I had heard of him but never checked him out until he and Elton John did The Union in 2010. His playing is instantly different and very enjoyable. I have gotten a couple of his albums and wonder how I could have missed this guy for all of these years. Then I found out that he is on a ton of tracks by other artists. We've lost another giant. RIP, Leon

NP - In the Hands of Angels
    Last edited by Tangram; 11-13-2016 at 11:53 PM.

The soundtrack to my teenage years is dying....
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

I was disappointed that he was elected to the R&R HOF only as a session man. Yes, his session work is legendary. But, his songwriting is more significant, IMO. He is a member of the Songwriters HOF, however.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^Why are you surprised? Those guys are behind on everything....especially acts who became famous from the 70s onwards.

He was still actively touring I believe. Sad to hear this. RIP Leon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Why are you surprised? Those guys are behind on everything....especially acts who became famous from the 70s onwards.
    Surprised? I'm not surprised at all. I guess I shouldn't be disappointed, either, since they have set such low expectations.

Eric Clapton posted a message on FaceBook stating that playing with Leon in Delaney and Bonnie broadened his understanding of the Blues and Country music. I would state that "Blues Power" was very directly influenced by Leon, and probably a lot more on Derek & The Dominos.

RIP Leon...sad to hear this.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Eric Clapton posted a message on FaceBook stating that playing with Leon in Delaney and Bonnie broadened his understanding of the Blues and Country music. I would state that "Blues Power" was very directly influenced by Leon, and probably a lot more on Derek & The Dominos.
    Leon co-wrote "Blues Power."