Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PROG Magazine- Anyone still buying it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Yes Sean, the outer sleeve has gone by the wayside. They were always ripped open and rummaged through over here, so I'm not particularly missing it.
    The Atom Heart Mother cover issue was the first to drop the outer sleeve. I was hoping that would mean a drop in the cover price, but no dice. I've read plenty of good features in it over the years, but it's too expensive for what it is - but presumably that's what's keeping it going. It obviously won't be selling as much as the cheaper likes of Mojo and Uncut.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    The Atom Heart Mother cover issue was the first to drop the outer sleeve. I was hoping that would mean a drop in the cover price, but no dice.
    Apparently it was to prevent a price increase. My only concern is potential damage to the magazine. Often, the outer sleeve would bear the brunt of any rough shipping from the UK to Canada, and the magazine itself was fine.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    They must have had a dozen copies of that one when I checked my local B&N on Saturday. Seemed like this was a restock, too; I can't believe they'd sell that many. But that one's been out for a while. I've been looking for the next one with the Atom Heart Mother cover, and as a certified Tales freak, now I want this new issue, too.
    The Atom Heart Mother issue is the latest. I'm not sure what you mean by Tales. If you mean the topographic variety I don't think that has been on the cover(at least not lately).

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    My issue (pun intended) is that the magazine's cover story seems to be a revolving group of Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis and Opeth, with a Camel and King Crimson thrown in from time to time. I guess that's what sells.

Another way to subscribe is to subscribe to Team Rock, which enables you to browse all of the articles (including back issues) from Prog, Classic Rock and Metal Hammer. And, I believe the monthly sub is cheaper than a monthly/yearly sub to the e-edition of Prog.
    Yeah, I wish they would dig a little deeper with who they put on the cover but I get it. They want the big names on there because that's what gets peoples attention and it's what sells. I remember it seemed like only one other person besides me bought the magazine near where I live and only maybe two others bought the one with Marillion. However, the latest with the Floyd sold out of the first ten in just a few days. Lot's of people seem to buy this magazine besides just the hardcore prog fans. There's also different levels of prog fans if that makes any sense. Still, imo, they should put bands like Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Riverside or Big Big Train on the cover. I wouldn't expect them to go deeper than that though. I agree it does get boring seeing the same old bands on the cover though.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    The Atom Heart Mother issue is the latest. I'm not sure what you mean by Tales. If you mean the topographic variety I don't think that has been on the cover(at least not lately).
    See the first post in the thread.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

whenever i am in the UK, yes (far too seldom). copies rarely make their way to germany and i don't like subscriptions. PROG had a promotional desk at ArcTanGent in august (the also curated one of the stages) and gave away some past issues for free … which is how i finally got hold of the chris squire memorial issue from july 2015. colour me one happy camper!

has to be physical copies for me … i loathe digital reading during leisure times, got enough of that going on at work …

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    My issue (pun intended) is that the magazine's cover story seems to be a revolving group of Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis and Opeth, with a Camel and King Crimson thrown in from time to time. I guess that's what sells.
    That's a caracteristic of their mother mag Classic Rock as well (pat artistes)... And TBH, while some of it makes entertaining reads, the sheer repetition of those articles over the years have filled my cup of tea over the brim.

The Atom Heart Mother cover issue was the first to drop the outer sleeve. I was hoping that would mean a drop in the cover price, but no dice. I've read plenty of good features in it over the years, but it's too expensive for what it is - but presumably that's what's keeping it going.
    Way overpriced in Belgium (especially compared to other music mags, CR included), but I think it's Waterstone that takes a huge margin as well.
    Renate/Rarebird tells me it's four to five euros cheaper in her neck of the woods, but that won't make me do the stopover in Den Haag or Rotterdam every w-e or month)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Apparently it was to prevent a price increase. My only concern is potential damage to the magazine. Often, the outer sleeve would bear the brunt of any rough shipping from the UK to Canada, and the magazine itself was fine.
    Well, TBH, I also thought that it was an obstacle placed for leafers to check inf the mag contents was indeed worthy of buying... I won't miss the sleeves, the cost will not go down

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    has to be physical copies for me … i loathe digital reading during leisure times, got enough of that going on at work …
    Yup, I won't subscribe to any mag... I judge issue by issiue whether I find it worthy of buying

And nope to digital mags... I spend enough time on the screen readi ng already as it is.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've been a loyal subscriber for most of those 7 years, and bought every issue from the start. I don't always get equal satisfaction out of every issue, but any periodical publication is like that.

On the negative side: I find some of its quirks a bit annoying, such as some facile letters from readers, Rick Wakeman's column usually prattling about nothing, news stories being out of date because of their own desperation to put every bit of gossip on their website/facebook feed, reviews that can sometimes be sycophantic puffery without barely mentioning the actual music (for example, the recent review of Marillion's FEAR, which didn't discuss the music much at all, but sucked-up to the band big-time - more an advert or press release than a review, in my view). The fairly narrow range of cover/main feature subjects is understandable, and I can't really blame them for that. All professionally produced music magazines that you can buy from newsagents or supermarkets are always going to do that, irrespective of genre.

On the plus side: I'm supporting a genre that I adore that once upon a time was so frowned upon it was embarrassing to admit liking it. Despite the naysayers on this board, PROG has really changed this attitude very considerably in the UK, and not only regarding the old classic stuff. Some of the writers - like Sid Smith - are really excellent (knowledgable, erudite). Some others not so much, but it doesn't upset me too much. The magazine does a lot of enthusiastic advocacy for a wide range of new stuff too, and a lot of that has filtered into my collection and listening (from Panic Room to Knifeworld, from Anathema to Southern Empire, from Echolyn to Beardfish). Not only that, but I've felt more motivated to check out some of the older 'classic' generation artists that I'd never bothered getting around to. For example, their very well-written feature on the Canterbury scene got me to listen to Soft Machine. I've also started listening to Mahavishnu since reading the magazine.

Now of course I might have tried some of these new and older artists without the magazine's influence, and just picking up bits and pieces from the internet (like this board). But I don't really think so.

Is the magazine perfect and consistently readable? No, not really.

Do I still buy and read it? Absolutely!

I still subscribe the Prog magazine. It has its flaws but I mostly enjoy it. I almost never listen cd that is included.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Print edition is too expensive, but I recently bought an online subscription on iTunes, which is very cheap. Really enjoy the magazine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    On the negative side: I find some of its quirks a bit annoying, such as some facile letters from readers, Rick Wakeman's column usually prattling about nothing, news stories being out of date because of their own desperation to put every bit of gossip on their website/facebook feed, reviews that can sometimes be sycophantic puffery without barely mentioning the actual music ...
    You forgot that lamentable Prog Boy cartoon, which seems to assume we are all aged about seven!

Quote Originally Posted by Orcopian View Post
    I still read it and have a subscription to both prog and classic rock. There is a comforting old school feeling of having a regular physical magazine to leaf through, more satisfying than surfing the web. There is always enough in prog to satisfy me, even if I'm not too interested in the prog metal and post rock side of things. I enjoy some of the regular articles like the 'famous' prog fans - this month it's pub landlord comedian al Murray. I'm glad prog magazine exists.
    I try and pick up Classic Rock too, one of my school friends is a writer / editor on that one, and although much of the music is a bit too mainstream rock for me, I feel I need to add my financial support to his cause!

The Atom Heart Mother cover issue was the first to drop the outer sleeve. I was hoping that would mean a drop in the cover price, but no dice. I've read plenty of good features in it over the years, but it's too expensive for what it is - but presumably that's what's keeping it going. It obviously won't be selling as much as the cheaper likes of Mojo and Uncut.
    Yeah, way too pricey for me as well. Plus, everything is just so great! Not one of these bands suck! They're all great!

Sad to hear that the Blues mag has stopped, though. I get the Classic Rock version, even though I'm sick to death of classic rock.

Other than the weekly Radio Times, it's the only magazine I buy. I get little value out of the interviews and articles, but they were never my favourite stretching back to the NME, Melody Maker, Sounds and Record Mirror days from the mid-70's. Puff-pieces. The CD is hit-and-miss (and I agree it has too much thundering and the mastering is dynamically compressed), but I've had a few good introductions to bands I'd ignored or never heard of. Like the weekly music papers in olden days, I'm soon devouring the reviews of upcoming or recent releases, and the modest concert review section. In the Prog world, this magazine and DPRP's reviews/weekend suggestions are my main source of news, apart from here and SH.

I have greatly backed off on buying the magazine. I feel bad though, I want to support the genre and the idea of having a mainstream magazine. But, it rarely holds my interest or informs me, since the internet is so immediate for reviews and news.

I never listen to the paid-for CDs included. The prog awards are a big turn-off.

Love it. Been a subscriber for a few years now. Great stuff inside. And yeah, they need the heavy hitters (Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Opeth, Marillion) on the cover or else no one buys it.
    The Prog Corner

I continue to buy every issue from the newsstand (currently B&N). I've saved all of them and only missed one way back when. Not a perfect publication but still an enjoyable read to this day.

I've got a few issues but cannot justify the £7.99 a month for a magazine (even with CD). As someone said, too much prog metal that I haven't heard (or want too) but otherwise they wouldn't be able to fill a monthly mag.

Interesting. I've never read and never bought it. From what I'm reading here, it doesn't sound like there is any pressing reason for me to start.

I buy it occasionally, I seldom learn anything new and its rather expensive.

When I do buy it I usually then pass it on to freinds who like Prog but not 'fanatical', they certainly wouldn't buy it!

The one's I have kept [both Classic Rock & Prog] are those that have been those ' Exclusive special editions', i.e Rick Wakeman's re-recorded Journey, Alice Cooper's W2MN, Slash and Def Leppard. There may be others?

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Interesting. I've never read and never bought it. From what I'm reading here, it doesn't sound like there is any pressing reason for me to start.
    Except that it's awesome...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    See the first post in the thread.
    That doesn't tell me anything. It's either an old issue or it's one that is still in the planning stages. The most recent issue at my bookstore is the Atom Heart Mother issue. I don't need to say that again do I?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    That doesn't tell me anything. It's either an old issue or it's one that is still in the planning stages. The most recent issue at my bookstore is the Atom Heart Mother issue. I don't need to say that again do I?
    It's neither of those things, it's the current issue. The Atom Heart Mother issue is last month's. Subscribers get these way before bookstores stock their shelves with them..
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It's neither of those things, it's the current issue. The Atom Heart Mother issue is last month's. Subscribers get these way before bookstores stock their shelves with them..
    Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.