Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2112 40th Anniversary 'Deluxe' reissue!

Vandette also did a great job Mastering tracks from Rush in Rio for the compilation "Working Men". Much better than the original mastering made by Adam Ayam (who also destroyed the audio of Clockwork Angels Live Blu-ray with Peart massively buried by abusive compression) for the album in 2003.

Rush in Rio have all sort of recording issues like rudimentary mobile truck recording equipament rented in Rio and no soundcheck. With all this problems, Vandette obtained great achievement improving the audio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETR2daBm6Tw

Had a chance to listen to the "new" tracks on apple music. IMHO, there's nothing much to write home about in this package. The Wilson "Twilight Zone" cover is nothing special, and the dark voice overlayed at the end is just silly. The most interesting add is the 2112 advertisement.
    Last edited by Score2112; 12-22-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Rush has some other anniversaries next year.... remixes? packages? vintage footage?
    Hemispheres- 40th
    Signals- 35th
    Hold Your Fire- 30th

Given that I already have the 2012 CD/Blu-Ray of 2112, I have little use for this new edition. Luckily, you can cherry pick covers that might be of interest from iTunes. I gladly snagged the SW track. It'll fit nicely alongside the other covers from throughout his career. Perhaps not revelatory but the arrangement is interesting (agree, could do without that "voice" but it does give it more of a PTree vibe).

Don't need the live material but I understand why some may want it. Agree though, the inclusion of a bunch of covers is lazy, just as it was for the Elton John GYBR reissue. Hope two of these does not a trend make.

Surprisingly (to me), the best cover song is Alice In Chains doing "Tears". I've never cared much for that song, but this is a pretty solid version IMO!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I couldn't help buying it. 2112 was one of my first concerts so nostalgia took over.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-24-2016 at 04:34 PM.

I bought it because I'm a Rush slappy and have to have everything but I consider the cover versions to be penalty tracks.

A neat surprise in that Capitol Theater show is the use of the Taurus foot pedals before they appeared on the Farewell to Kings album for the first time -- Taurus pedals on LAKESIDE PARK!!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    This footage in the R40 box is a inferior copy, bad audio and video.

The master tape is from the Wolfgang's Music Vault and seems that they used it now in the new 2112 box. They also now isolated the bass frequency in the side right and the guitars on the side left to create a fake stereo from the mono source, the result is bad for me, because the voice is more loud at the left side also, so it results unbalanced.

I previously remastered this footage of Wolfgang's masters in 2013 before they released their videos archive on Youtube, and after they officially did it, they takedown my video, but you can see the result of that remastering in the video below

https://vid.me/56sP
    I feel much better about having to buy this again now and will compare it with the R40 version. I have several bootleg copies that I can compare as well (The first one that still has the watermark on it I can finally toss.). At least it seems like they took the best available out there for this. I always figured Wolfgang was the same as the versions I already had.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Rush has some other anniversaries next year.... remixes? packages? vintage footage?
    Hemispheres- 40th
    Signals- 35th
    Hold Your Fire- 30th
    As much as I'd love for something like this to happen, it's not very likely.
    Mercury/Polygram/Universal/Def Jam (what have you) at this point is only interested in re-releasing Moving Pictures and 2112 as those are the top two selling Rush albums.

Any other updated reissues to date have been part of a catalog-wide campaign which was most recently done a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    A neat surprise in that Capitol Theater show is the use of the Taurus foot pedals before they appeared on the Farewell to Kings album for the first time -- Taurus pedals on LAKESIDE PARK!!!
    Always loved that myself!