Thread: White Willow new album announcement

White Willow new album announcement

You've probably seen this floating around but I thought I'd post it here anyway - straight from the press release:

"Norwegian eclectic prog troupe WHITE WILLOW will release their seventh full-length album, Future Hopes, this Winter, through their longtime label home, Laser’s Edge.

Future Hopes, their first album since 2011’s well-received Terminal Twilight sees WHITE WILLOW exploring some of the most “progressive” territory the band has ever ventured into, with several very lengthy tracks and more instrumental stretching out than they are usually known for. The album features a heavy use of synthesizers, including the unique textures of the Yamaha CS80, the famed Blade Runner synth; the movie, and Vangelis’ music for it, was one of the influences on the album.

Offers founding WHTE WILLOW guitarist Jacob Holm-Lupo, “Future Hopes is loosely tied together by a science fiction concept, a ‘love among the ruins’ story.” Delving deeper into the creation of the album he continues, “Future Hopes is our seventh album, and a sequel of sorts to our two other conceptual albums, Terminal Twilight and Storm Season. We’re extremely excited and impatient to share the music, which features both our new singer, Venke Knutson — a well-known artist in her own right here in Norway with several Top 10 hits to her credit — as well as guest appearances by guitar wizard Hedvig Mollestad (Hedvig Mollestad Trio) and world-renowned clarinetist David Krakauer. Returning from the Terminal Twilight line-up are Mattias Olsson (Necromonkey, ex-Änglagård), Ellen Andrea Wang (PIxel, Manu Katché Group), Lars Fredrik Frøislie (Wobbler) and Ketil Einarsen (Kaukasus, ex-Jaga Jazzist).”

Musically the album follows logically from the previous one, but with a bit more instrumental stretching out, especially thanks to Hedvig’s guitar, and the modern production approach of the record. Future Hopes was mixed by the highly respected Norwegian engineer Christian Engfelt, known for his work on the Elephant9/Reine Fiske album, Atlantis and the Todd Rundgren/Lindstrøm collaboration, Runddans, with several of his productions having been Grammy-nominated and/or won in Norway. The record was mastered by Grammy Award-winning audiophile legend Bob Katz, and completed with a specially commissioned painting by Roger Dean.

Laser’s Edge will release Future Hopes on CD, LP, and all digital platforms in the first quarter of 2017; a final release date will be issued alongside the cover art, track listing, and much more in the coming days.

Formed in Oslo in 1992/93, WHITE WILLOW has built a reputation over the years as a diverse, subtle, progressively-focused group, their albums always critically acclaimed and revered as influential. They were a part of the original revival of progressive rock in Scandinavia that also included Änglagård, Anekdoten, and Landberk, and original Änglagård drummer Mattias Olsson is the drummer of WHITE WILLOW. Fusing influences from 1970s prog rock and folk rock, hard rock, electronica, and even some pop influences, with each album they explore new territories. A common thread throughout all the albums though, is the use of female vocals and the employment of huge arsenals of vintage keyboards and synthesizers, notably mellotrons, chamberlins, moogs, solinas, prophets, and more. Among the bands/artists admired by WHITE WILLOW are Genesis, Blue Öyster Cult, King Crimson, Fairport Convention, Nick Drake, Joni Mitchell and Norwegian bands ranging from Høst to Darkthrone."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    That's good news. Thank you, Jacob.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar

Don
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I haven't been to PE in over a week, but just saw your thread. Jacob, you know I've always been a big fan of WW, so I'm excited and will patiently await the release of Future Hopes. Auto-buy of course.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Cool!

Glad to see Roger Dean's artwork expanding once more. Maybe he's getting tired of doing YES covers for a group that's not really YES?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    That's a really nice Dean cover!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Jacob, I assume you spoke with Dean before, during, and after, eh? Must have been interesting.

He is one artist who has never lost it. Not every piece is a complete winner, but he still hits it out of the park pretty often, and this is one of those times, IMO.

Hi all - the album is out today! I guess you all have your favorite vendors where you know you can get it.
    Itunes link here: https://itunes.apple.com/no/album/fu...s/id1208234512

Yup, I had quite a lot of contact with Roger, talked to him on the phone a lot and discussed imagery and lyrics - and vikings! He loves Scandinavian history and vikings He is an incredibly warm and nice guy.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Congratulations on the album release Jacob! The artwork, as noted, is really very nice. I'm looking forward the music most importantly.

Jefferson James
    Congrats, the title track sounds great! All I have is an Opium Cartel CD but I'm considering picking this up (checks PayPal account).

I managed to buy a new copy on Amazon from a U.S. seller who ships to Canada. The price, with shipping, was only $22 Canadian. A great deal and I'm looking forward to hearing it!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-31-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Not to be too snotty, but since it's so rare for prog to crack any kinds of charts these days I thought I would mention that Future Hopes climbed straight into the Norwegian iTunes album charts, so far peaking at 6 in the rock charts, behind Mastodon but ahead of Coldplay (didn't know they were rock ...) and at 24 in the all genres album chart.

Orcopian
    Had this about a week and really enjoying it, this band consistently put out really high quality work.
    Aside from the excellent performances and music it also sounds great with the usual excellent production and a dynamic sound. Looking at the liner notes Jacob uses the cs80v emulation a lot so it is chock full of those fantastic fat sounds you will instantly recognise. The drumming and vocals in particular are excellent and there a quite a few nice guitar solos on the longer tracks. All in all a really excellent cd I would recommend very highly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    Not to be too snotty, but since it's so rare for prog to crack any kinds of charts these days I thought I would mention that Future Hopes climbed straight into the Norwegian iTunes album charts, so far peaking at 6 in the rock charts, behind Mastodon but ahead of Coldplay (didn't know they were rock ...) and at 24 in the all genres album chart.
    That's because you live in a country where preconceived notions & expectations don't cloud judgement so much.

I knew there was something I forgot to do. Will remedy that tonight.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I've listened to the album a few times now. I'm completely impressed, complex yet accessible, melodic, the female vocals blends very well.

The production is immaculate. Dean's artwork, blends seamlessly with the music.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 04-15-2017 at 02:03 PM.

You NEVER disappoint me, Jacob. This is worth the wait.

I am really enjoying this album, modern progressive music, that stands repeat listening. I was pleased to find it up on eMusic so grabbed a download from my monthly subscription, but the high quality and the Dean artwork make this one I think I need to add to the physical collection too, nice work from all players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Jacob I listened last night and wow another awesome effort as I knew it would be. Now if you could only get back to touring in America. Was nearfest the last gig here? Necro monkey will be here in June playing a small gig in Los Angeles and I'm going to ask Mattias about that possibility.

Thanks for encouraging words from you all.

White Willow hasn't been a concert-playing band for 10 years now, so I think it's unlikely that there will be any touring, unless something very, very special comes along. The logistics of gathering all these extremely busy musicians for anything, even a single photo shoot, is always a nightmare so I think touring is far beyond our scope. Also, I'm really a studio rat, not much of a stage person. That said, we certainly enjoyed our two trips to the US back in the day!