Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Fusion of the more Jazzy variety

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    apologies, i tried to describe it as best i could but i guess i am not the best at terminology, hence why i used youtube examples
    no intent of promoting my music in this thread! i have it in my signature but i do that on all the forums i post on.

keep the suggestions coming regardless, it appears this is the kind of fusion most people had imagined on reading the title anyway!
    you don't owe any apologies, especially to me. I was only making an observation, just don't hire me to write a speech for you. all this genre defining is for the birds anyways. sure, it helps to call it something but I'm not picky about labels. if it smells like shit, then it usually is. you most certainly did have some good suggestions and look forward to more. thanx

cheers
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Solution - (Chappaqua Cordon Bleu/1975)

Camembert - Schnörgl Attahk (2011) full album
    Bon Lozaga - Controlled Chaos (Traces Of Chaos/2015)
    Ian Carr - Belladonna (1972) full album
    FP Ensemble - Urban Methods (Ayexit/2014)

O-U - Habanerege (O-U/2003)

i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    Solution - (Chappaqua Cordon Bleu/1975)

I love this song. A couple years ago I bought the Mythology collection that combined all of their albums across 3 discs (I believe), and it was money well-spent. There's some great music on there, and captures a very specific kind of mood. Feels like perfect winter time music.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I love this song. A couple years ago I bought the Mythology collection that combined all of their albums across 3 discs (I believe), and it was money well-spent. There's some great music on there, and captures a very specific kind of mood. Feels like perfect winter time music.
    Mythology is a great set indeed. it's 4 albums with bonus tracks. Chappaqua is an awesome tune. used to play the crap outta that one and Grasshopper
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    Fabrice Martinez Chut ! - Rebirth (Rebirth/2016)...I've gotta pimp this again because it's a fantastic album released earlier this year. it's very much jazzy with an undercurrent of RIO and Avant throughout. it's got a distinct Zeuhlish flavor as well. I can definitely hear it but it's been said before that I have no clue what Zeuhl is. that's cool, we can't all be Christian Vander. regardless, Rebirth will likely be a top 10 for me this year. judge for yourself.
    Well ya sold at least one copy for them - and I even braved Amazon.fr to get it. Awesome stuff! Thanks man.

some amazing suggestions here! of what i've had a chance to listen to so far, the more modern sounding stuff like Troyka, Naked Truth, Tryezz are records I will definitely look more into i've a lot more of these suggestions to check out too... keep em coming!

BadBadNotGood are an amazing example of modern jazz fusion influenced by hip hop.
    I just saw them last night on TV and couldn't stop watching them. The keyboardist is amazing.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Well ya sold at least one copy for them - and I even braved Amazon.fr to get it. Awesome stuff! Thanks man.
    you're very welcome sir!
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Banned
    Awesome new band Elysian Feel from New Orleans.

This band will make it.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 11-21-2016 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Don't know the Mythology collection, but I have another one with all their albums more or less combined on 3 discs, including a live album. The songs on that album are left of the other albums.

Mehliana

I don't see a lot of talk of this jazzier side of fusion much in prog circles, but I definitely feel it belongs. Any other suggestions of this kind?
    I've put Taming the dragon on my wishlist.

Mean Old Men - Take # 1 Speed (Birds Of Beauty/2007)

Acuna · Hoff · Mathisen - Grande Castelar (Barxeta/2012)
    AutorYno - Poznan (Cosmopolitan Traffic/2013)
    Jazzmob - Area 54 (Infernal Machine/2006)
    Tom Schuman - Designated Planets (Designated Planets/2013)
    Prart Group - Tuk Tuk (5th Avenue/2005)
    Carlo Fimian - Bezu (Alter Ego/2014)

The Trio of Stridence - As Falls Wichita, so Falls Wichita Falls (Auditur Periculosum/2013)

i.ain't.dead.irock

almost none of the Youtube links you have been posting work outside the US proggosaurus at least not in Ireland.

digging a lot of the suggestions i have been able to listen to, though i would definitely categorise the majority of them as classic fusion, or at least classically styled, rather than modern. granted, it is is a very small percentage of the posted suggestions i have actually been able to listen to!

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but has anyone here heard In My Room by Jacob Collier? If not, definitely check it out! It's jazzy and funky, but also incorporates some heavy electronic beats and even South American music (among many other styles). He plays all the instruments (and there are many), as well as handles all the vocals, and he's only 21 years old.

Listen to "Down The Line", or "Woke Up Today". The latter actually reminds me of early Level 42 a little bit, especially with the falsetto.

I'm a fan of Jacob. Amazing talent, and unique music. Not sure it's really fusion of the more jazzy variety, though....I'd compare him to, say, Dirty Loops. Definitely a jazz and fusion influence, but I hear both of these artists as having a strong "pop" identity.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I know i've posted other tunes from this album, but i don't think i posted this tune.From 1976,Joe Chambers-New Morning;the tune is Rock Pile.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

almost none of the Youtube links you have been posting work outside the US proggosaurus at least not in Ireland.

digging a lot of the suggestions i have been able to listen to, though i would definitely categorise the majority of them as classic fusion, or at least classically styled, rather than modern. granted, it is is a very small percentage of the posted suggestions i have actually been able to listen to!
    This might help:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Your-Country-in-YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9HazKWpklQ

digging a lot of the suggestions i have been able to listen to, though i would definitely categorize the majority of them as classic fusion, or at least classically styled, rather than modern. granted, it is is a very small percentage of the posted suggestions i have actually been able to listen to!
    here's some newer ones

edit:the full album video for Mr. Bongoe is terribly distracting so I replaced it with just one song. it's a great album though with some choice tunes. from Mexico, this sextet cites Snarky Puppy, Robert Glasper, King Crimson and Tribal Tech among their influences and I definitely recommend them. full album link

Mr. Bongoe - Ebsemidim (Mr. Bongoe/2016)

4 Level Interchange - The Closer (The Closer/2016)
    Fat-Suit - Messiah Complex (Atlas/2016)
    The Brian Estlin Confluence - Spin Cycle (The Brian Estlin Confluence/2016)
    Last edited by proggosaurus; 11-23-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I know i've posted other tunes from this album, but i don't think i posted this tune.From 1976,Joe Chambers-New Morning;the tune is Rock Pile.

Great album Walt!

70s fusion is the best!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

this one is for my pop...RIP

i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Antonio Sánchez - Channels of Energy
    very nice. thanx for posting
    i.ain't.dead.irock

a little bit of everything here

Impuls - Kdo jinemu jamu kopa (Impuls/2008 RM & Mini Jazz Klub 7/1978)

The Hideous Sun Demons - Elevation (The Hideous Sun Demons/2004) heavy/fusion
    Glass - Overture (Illuminations/2005) symph/fusion
    Venegoni & Co - Sarabanda (1979) full album
    Bergendy - Fagypont fölött miénk a világ (1976) full album
    Spheroe - Hep Deliler Bisi Bulur (Primadonna/1978)
    Fago.Sepia - L' âme sűre ruse mal (2006) full EP math rock/fusion
    Dig Trio - Sanguessuga (Dig Trio/2003)

The Deserts Of Träun - The Desert of Träun (Part III:The Lilac Moon/2003) Avant-garde/Experimental/Jazz Fusion/Metal

i.ain't.dead.irock