Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand X What To Buy?

Brand X What To Buy?

I was very impressed with Brand X at Progtoberfest this weekend. I do not own any of their stuff. If I was going to purchase an album what would you all recommend? Are any of their live albums worth getting?

Unorthodox Behavior and Moroccan Roll

^^^^^^^Run don't walk.
    The other albums contain some good songs, but some really cringe worthy stuff too.
    Those two defined the sound and are awesome.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Livestock is a killer Live Record and Product is awesome too.

Get Masques.
    Their best imo
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    You can't go wrong with any of them, but my favorites are Livestock and Unorthodox Behaviour.

I'm a Brand X slappy so I say get them all. However in all reality not all Brand X albums are created equal so I say start with Moroccan Roll, Unorthodox Behaviour, Livestock and Masques. If your hunger and/or curiosity persists, buy the rest. I will die saying anything with Percy Jones on it is worth owning.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I'm a Brand X slappy so I say get them all. However in all reality not all Brand X albums are created equal so I say start with Moroccan Roll, Unorthodox Behaviour, Livestock and Masques. If your hunger and/or curiosity persists, buy the rest. I will die saying anything with Percy Jones on it is worth owning.
    I'm with you. After buying FrippWire's suggestions, move on to Product, Do They Hurt?, Is There Anything About?, X Communication, Manifest Destiny, Missing Period.
    Then pick up some more live releases. Life may be good now, but owning their entire catalog will make it that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinister View Post
    This compilation is fantastic value, and presents the tracks in the same order as the original first five studio releases and one live album, plus a BBC session thrown in. The mastering is good. Whatever you do, avoid the Japanese releases of each album. Expensive and dynamically compressed.

The band got no $$$$$$$$ from the box set.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Get Masques.
    Their best imo
    Ditto for me. I only have the first three studio albums and this is by far my favorite. I love a lot of material on Unorthodox and MR, but I often find myself getting a little bored at times on those albums as well. Not so on Masques.

I'd still say you should probably try all these albums, plus Livestock (and album I should probably revisit), and if you really dig them move on to Product and Do They Hurt.

Bill

Nuclear Burn is the way to go. Plenty of there best material on there to keep you busy.

another vote for nuclear burn easy way to get the bulk of their original releases (shoulda been a 5 disc set with their last vinyl releases and a few missing B-sides but still great)

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Is there anything from the core albums that can be bought that will deliver any $$$$$$$$ to the band? If not, then that's irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    These albums were in the cut out bins 30 years ago, so the band is unlikely to get their cut no matter how the albums are released. From what I read, they received poor legal advice and signed deals that screwed them over. But the 4 disc box is selling for under 6 dollars from British vendors at Amazon. At that price, I can't believe anyone is making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    This! ^^^

I also like Product a lot, and Percy's "Tunnels" stuff. Also John Goodsall's "Fire Merchants".

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    These albums were in the cut out bins 30 years ago, s
    Yep, that's where I first found them.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

https://www.amazon.com/X-Communicati.../dp/B01ESZYHQK It seems their 90s release, X-Communication is getting a reissue, with lousy artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Is there anything from the core albums that can be bought that will deliver any $$$$$$$$ to the band? If not, then that's irrelevant.
    plus he already went to a show by them so he has given them money in the new way of bands getting money.

Unorthodox Behaviour, Moroccan Roll, Livestock, Product and perhaps Masques

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Wow- PE is always a tough crowd! If you like Brand X... there really isnt' anywhere you can go wrong. I'm not sure what one of my favorite contributors referred to as "cringeworthy", (unless you refer to sound quality). but there isn't much I don't like. I saw them in 77 at the Cellar Door, and recently at Havana in New Hope. Though different shows they still came through admirably. They were the band that sold me on "Fusion", and never turned back. IMHO of course.

Unorthodox Behaviour, Livestock, Moroccan Roll.