Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand X What To Buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    I'm not sure what one of my favorite contributors referred to as "cringeworthy", (unless you refer to sound quality). but there isn't much I don't like.
    I was referring to Soho and Don't make waves. I prefer the instrumentals, in almost all cases.
    I exaggerate. It is all top notch material.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

You can usually find nice copies in the dollar bins of used record stores. I probably have 4 copies of all their albums on vinyl. I'll buy another copy just for the value and give them away later to friends who I know will appreciate them.

John Goodsall has said that they never saw any royalties from Hit & Run and Tony Smith.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Stickleback View Post
    John Goodsall has said that they never saw any royalties from Hit & Run and Tony Smith.
    I saw Percy Jones years ago with Tunnels and he told me the same thing. A real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
    I saw Percy Jones years ago with Tunnels and he told me the same thing. A real shame.
    I completely forgot Jones was with Tunnels. When I was watching the Chicago performance I kept thinking I had seen him before, but I knew I had never seen Brand X.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    This! ^^^

I also like Product a lot, and Percy's "Tunnels" stuff. Also John Goodsall's "Fire Merchants".
    No doubt! Both Fire Merchants albums are essential IMO.

Tunnels has some good moments, Percy is a monster, but I'm not crazy about the guitarist.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Tunnels has some good moments, Percy is a monster, but I'm not crazy about the guitarist.
    If you like Tunnles with no guitar, try Natural Selection. It's a very different sound for the band, and I like that it focuses just on the three players rather than having all the guests that imo only serve to confuse the core sound of the band. I had all the Tunnels stuff at one point, this is the only album I kept, and I love it. I had one of the Fire Merchants albums too, but that didn't hold my fancy either. I don't recall much about it now.

Inspired by this thread, and some encouraging from my EO drummer, I decided to buy Product and Do They Hurt, albums I've heard bits and pieces of, but never owned. They're on order and I'll report back when I've had a chance to listen to them.

Bill

Do They Hurt has some great moments.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Do They Hurt has some great moments.
    True !

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I'm with you. After buying FrippWire's suggestions, move on to Product, Do They Hurt?, Is There Anything About?, X Communication, Manifest Destiny, Missing Period.
    Then pick up some more live releases. Life may be good now, but owning their entire catalog will make it that much better.
    I agree with this. Endorse. Second. Whatevs.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    In 1998, Brand X put out a compilation/anthology release called "The X-Files".

In 2000, The X-Files TV show had an episode entitled "Brand X".

The Trilogy set contains a fine live-CD with a recording from 1979 (plus X-Communication and Manifest Destiny).

brand x.jpg

https://buckyballmusic.squarespace.c...rand-x-trilogy
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tr...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    The Trilogy set contains a fine live-CD with a recording from 1979 (plus X-Communication and Manifest Destiny).

brand x.jpg

https://buckyballmusic.squarespace.c...rand-x-trilogy
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tr...ign-mpt=uo%3D4
    thanks for pointing out that was back in stock been looking for one for awhile (I am cursed with always wanting the most complete release so never got those two albums for that reason)!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Dude, don't you know you never buy Brand X? You get reamed if you buy Brand X and not the product the commercial is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Don't get me started on Tunnels. Twinkle Ding-Dong music at it's best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Dude, don't you know you never buy Brand X? You get reamed if you buy Brand X and not the product the commercial is about.

Don't get me started on Tunnels. Twinkle Ding-Dong music at it's best.
    I have to agree that although they were amazing musicians the actual performance at NEARfest left me a bit cold.

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    Unorthodox Behavior and Moroccan Roll
    those two

Livestock and Missing period (archive pre-debut album) are also worthy, but not as essential (IMHO)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have to agree that although they were amazing musicians the actual performance at NEARfest left me a bit cold.
    Totally agree, the NF performance was a mess. But as I said above, Natural Selection is something of a different beast. I just gave it a fresh listen tonight. Since the Brand X show Tuesday, I've played Unorthodox Behavior and Moroccan Roll, and tonight the Tunnels. Of the three, the Tunnels album was by far the most consistently compelling for me. I actually liked Moroccan Roll better than I had remembered, which was nice. But tonight I was totally digging the Tunnels.

So I'd say at least give that album a shot. If it's not to your taste, the OK. But I think that particular album is different from the earlier stuff.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Yep, that's where I first found them.
    Me too.

great band. I enjoy all of their releases. Moroccan Roll, Masques, Unorthodox Behavior, Product, Do They Hurt, are my favorites in that order.

Very much related (= featuring a lot of Brand X-members), although not as strong over all is Wilding/Bonus' Pleasure Signals:

In the related vein Marscape by Jack Lancaster & Robin Lumley is considered a pre/missing Brand X album with many of the same musicians and a similar vibe.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Livestock is a killer Live Record and Product is awesome too.
    Yeah I was going to add Livestock to the list myself.. I had the first 4 or 5 albums on vinyl back in the day and enjoyed each of them.. Do they hurt.. Masque..

So Product arrived a few days ago and I've given it two spins. I must say, pretty good album. I was expecting it to be a lot more poppy and a lot more of a jumble given that it's different combinations of players. But while a bit more streamlined than the earlier stuff, there's very little overtly poppy stuff (Soho leaning most in that direction), and the album has a surprisingly consistent sound. In fact if anything this albums seems a bit more 'focused" to me than their earlier albums. That might be a turnoff to some, but I actually like it. Percy sounds particularly good throughout, very clear and punchy tone. I'm definitely glad I took a shot on this, I really enjoy it.

Do They Hurt is still shipping, I'm hoping that one exceeds my expectations as well.

Bill