Page 79 of 185 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

chalkpie

chalkpie

chalkpie

Re Victory Egg -what's interesting about that cut is that it relies almost entirely on his vocal presentation, and it's the cut that made realize he's actually a very good vocalist.

Went to my friend Mohadev Egg Helmet's house this weekend and watched All That Glitters Is A Maresnest DVD- getting thoroughly drunk and watching this sucker is quite an experience. A murky and rippin' brain raping. Tim's hair and grin was putting the hurt on me real good. My drive home at 1am was sort of scary. Fantastic document though. Slowly - this band is making its way into me. Taking it slow. I cant digest more than one album a month... at least a month. Ha.

Oh yea... meant to ask - did they perform anything from Guns live? I havent really dug to see and I figured you guys would know right quick.

The Isreali cover band Gilliam is fun! The arrangements are mindful. I like the extended stop/start part of RES, and the fact that they added on the semi accapela coda.

This Cardiac veteran of over 25 years appreciation and also justified laudation is at once envious of all you new fishies in the shark infested pond now discovering Cardiacs for the first time and as pleased as a little man in a little house for all of you, or as pleased as a big metal fish with red fire coming out its gills made of hard metal.

I understand the feeling. As a longtime prog fan, to find a band this good at this late stage of the game, is a great gift. I'm a little blissed out!

chalkpie
    They're not as good as The Eagles or Dream Theater, but they'll do in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    They're not as good as The Eagles or Dream Theater, but they'll do in a pinch.
    YOU BOY! Stop that right now! Or I'll send you to the Headmaster for a sound thrashing!

Son of a... damn all you people. I hear Cardiacs in my head all the time now. I am compelled to play something from them every day at work. Upside --- people wont come near my office when I have them on. WIN.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Son of a... damn all you people. I hear Cardiacs in my head all the time now. I am compelled to play something from them every day at work. Upside --- people wont come near my office when I have them on. WIN.
    Another one goes down. I'm waiting for the "greatest band of all time" post from you, man......its just a matter of time. I wasn't expecting it either and then one day my fingers were just typing against my better judgment - I had no control. Just buy it all and enjoy brother!

chalkpie
    I hear Cardiacs in my head all the time now.
    There it is. Tim's melodies are just incredible - they stay with you for days, months, they haunt you, they find you in your dreams, they visit you in the least expecting moments, etc etc. The bloke has an insane gift for that.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    There it is. Tim's melodies are just incredible - they stay with you for days, months, they haunt you, they find you in your dreams, they visit you in the least expecting moments, etc etc. The bloke has an insane gift for that.
    It really made me laugh last night --- I was in the middle of yelling at my teenage son about something - and Cameras popped into my head. WTF! You're right - those melodies are sneaky sick and wicked.

The Duck and Roger The Horse Holy shit! Love. IT.

chalkpie
    The Duck and Roger The Horse Holy shit! Love. IT.
    Yeah - that's quite an ambitious piece to say the least. They also had some gall opening with that tune during live shows.

Went through the same thing this past summer after taking the plunge with On Land And In The Sea, and have not looked back since. Think I went a solid two months where I listened to at least something by Cardiacs every day.

Welcome to the asylum.

Went to my friend Mohadev Egg Helmet's house this weekend and watched All That Glitters Is A Maresnest DVD- getting thoroughly drunk and watching this sucker is quite an experience. A murky and rippin' brain raping. Tim's hair and grin was putting the hurt on me real good. My drive home at 1am was sort of scary. Fantastic document though. Slowly - this band is making its way into me. Taking it slow. I cant digest more than one album a month... at least a month. Ha.
    I think seeing that DVD (before it was a DVD and I had to watch a bootlegged VHS copy) is what pushed me into fandom. It was just so .... Crazy. And that opening version of The Duck And Roger The Horse!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Duck and Roger the Horse was the second thing I heard by them after RES. Totally blew my mind. Played it about 28 times a day for a couple of weeks. The thing is just under 4 minutes and yet EPIC. Now I'm afraid of wearing it out, so I'll only listen to it when playing the album in it's entirety. But when I was listening to it as cited above, I would have told you it was the greatest thing I'd ever heard in my life. Goes absolutely nowhere you'd expect it to go for it's entire playing time.
    See? I was just about to listen to Lamb Lies Down, but I've just been talked by you and myself into playing that cut before I do...
    Last edited by arthurfrayn; 11-09-2015 at 10:14 PM.

Right now, the 3 cuts I listen to quite regularly are In a City Lining, I'm Eating in Bed & The Breakfast Line.
    I Listened to Disc 2 of Sing To God this afternoon. I find one disc of that is usually enough. The whole thing is exhausting. Just too rich.
    Last edited by arthurfrayn; 11-11-2015 at 10:51 PM.

Sing to God is the best double album ever, by far. No filler.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpybunker View Post
    That is the next one... I played half the first disc last night in bed. Yup... no wonder I dont sleep the whole night - I get leg jerks and I tend to punch myself in the face. Residual angst and jitters. lol. Today I'll be hitting disc 1 and placing myself into a straight jacket of goodness. I'm am so delighted I kept trying to get this band into my head... it paid off. Now I'm reveling in the melodies that wont quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpybunker View Post
    One of my least favorite of their works. Heresie, I know...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I think seeing that DVD (before it was a DVD and I had to watch a bootlegged VHS copy) is what pushed me into fandom. It was just so .... Crazy. And that opening version of The Duck And Roger The Horse!
    That friggin guitar solo-shredding blowout around 2:30 or so... sick man. Sick.