Page 110 of 186 FirstFirst ... 1060100106107108109110111112113114120160 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 4631

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Hmm. Someone on facebook posted that TS is back in the studio, working. Anyone know if that’s really true?

EDIT: Here's the exact message by some bloke named "Robin Webley", whoever that is:

Tim Smith is back in the studio. Can't begin to explain how happy I am for the fact that A) I'm going to hear his music (no matter how small an input) B) that he has recovered enough to do so. Tim you are the man . I'm so pleased you can do what you were put here to do. And thanks to the pondies who funded your recovery .

EDIT 2: Ah, now I know! It's in reference to the official press release, which unequivocally states:

Following Tim Smith’s accident in 2008 and subsequent health issues ever since, no new material has been released since 2007. Smith, however, was able to return to his studio in 2015 to supervise the additional recording and painstaking process necessary to complete this lost masterpiece (i.e. On the Dry Land).
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 08-29-2016 at 05:26 AM.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Hmm. Someone on facebook posted that TS is back in the studio, working. Anyone know if that’s really true?

EDIT: Here's the exact message by some bloke named "Robin Webley", whoever that is:

Tim Smith is back in the studio .
    Can't begin to explain how happy I am for the fact that A) I'm going to hear his music (no matter how small an input)
    B) that he has recovered enough to do so.
    Tim you are the man . I'm so pleased you can do what you were put here to do. And thanks to the pondies who funded your recovery .
    Robin Webley is a good guy

"Smith, however, was able to return to his studio in 2015 to supervise the additional recording and painstaking process necessary to complete this lost masterpiece."

https://organthing.com/2016/08/26/or...ous-new-album/

^^

You beat me to it by a second! Awesome, thanks.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

I posted another link from the same "Organ thing" on the Sea Nymphs thread, it's great, find it!

Something I was wondering, and thought could be fun, is what everyone's favorite bands/artists are (or were, if Cardiacs have since taken that spot).

All of our tastes seem potentially rather diverse, and yet we all like Tim Smith and his various musical morphologies, so it makes me really curious. Maybe a Top 5, if you folks are game for it?

I'll even go out on a limb and play first.

1) Genesis
    2) Steely Dan
    3) The Beatles
    4) Yes
    5) Cardiacs

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Something I was wondering, and thought could be fun, is what everyone's favorite bands/artists are (or were, if Cardiacs have since taken that spot).

All of our tastes seem potentially rather diverse, and yet we all like Tim Smith and his various musical morphologies, so it makes me really curious. Maybe a Top 5, if you folks are game for it?

1) Genesis
    2) Steely Dan
    3) The Beatles
    4) Yes
    5) Cardiacs
    Hmmm...

1) Zappa
    1) Cardiacs (Yup... I cant decide but lately I'd have Cardiacs squarely in #1)
    3) Egg
    4) Gentle Giant
    5) Henry Cow

Man...that is HARD. I'd have Mats/Morgan Band in that top 5 from time to time too.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Univers Zero
    Mike Oldfield
    King Crimson
    Henry Cow
    Thinking Plague
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

1) Genesis
    2) Steely Dan
    3) The Beatles
    4) Yes
    5) Cardiacs
    Oh boy - nearly impossible - and I am just going to list my fav's in some random order (as numbering them would make it even more impossible):

Cardiacs (are they listed here first for a reason....hmmmm?)
    FZ
    Hatfield and the North
    Bob Drake
    Tull

I apologize for excluding the Cow, Marcoeur, Magma, KC, Genesis, Anglagard, Necromonkey, Waits, Beardfish, Health, Egg, Soft Machine, PFM, GG, Can, This Heat, Sleepytime, and a few others.

-Now - if I have to cheat and go with orchestral composers:

Ives
    Mahler
    Sibelius
    Ligeti
    Ravel

It literally pains me to the point of bleeding leaving out other dudes such as Messiaen, Stravinsky, Bartok, Shostakovich, Bach, RVW, Debussy, Morricone, Dowland, Varese, Partch, Webern, Schoenberg, etc but there 'ya go.

Nice idea, man
    Last edited by chalkpie; 08-30-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Oh boy - nearly impossible - and I am just going to list my fav's in some random order (as numbering them would make it even more impossible):

Cardiacs (are they listed here first for a reason....hmmmm?)
    FZ
    Hatfield and the North
    Bob Drake
    Tull

I apologize for excluding the Cow, Marcoeur, Magma, KC, Genesis, Anglagard, Necromonkey, Beardfish, Health, Egg, Soft Machine, PFM, GG, Can, This Heat, Sleepytime, and a few others.

-Now - if I have to cheat and go with orchestral composers:

Ives
    Mahler
    Sibelius
    Ligeti
    Ravel

It literally pains me to the point of bleeding leaving out other dudes such as Messiaen, Stravinsky, Bartok, Shostakovich, Bach, Debussy, Dowland, Varese, Partch, Webern, Schoenberg, etc but there 'ya go.

Nice idea, man
    My apologies list - haha - King Crimson, Cheer-Accident, Soft Machine, Hatfield & the North, National Health, Magma, Thinking Plague, The Muffins -.... ahhhhhh!

Composers --- Bartok! Ligeti, Penderecki, Varese, Ravel
    Last edited by Phlakaton; 08-30-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    My apologies list - haha - King Crimson, Soft Machine, Hatfield & the North, National Health, Magma, Thinking Plague, The Muffins -.... ahhhhhh!

Composers --- Bartok! Ligeti, Penderecki, Varese, Ravel
    That's a pretty nice 'apologies list' you have there - better than some 'proper lists'

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Univers Zero
    Mike Oldfield
    King Crimson
    Henry Cow
    Thinking Plague
    Apologies to Hatfield, Sleepytime, Vezhlivy Otkaz, Guapo, Knifeworld, The Future Kings Of England, Leonard Cohen, Black Sabbath, National Health, Roy Harper, Samla Mammas Manna
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

1) Pink Floyd
    2) Johannes Schmoelling
    3) King Crimson
    4) Ulver
    5) (Reserved for revolving door of awesomeness...this week it is SubRosa)
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Apologies to Hatfield, Sleepytime, Vezhlivy Otkaz, Guapo, Knifeworld, The Future Kings Of England, Leonard Cohen, Black Sabbath, National Health, Roy Harper, Samla Mammas Manna
    That newest Knifeworld... pheeeww! A real good 'un!

(gonna exclude Cardiacs from this list, cuz what's the point)

1) Susumu Hirasawa
    2) Underworld
    3) Autechre
    4) Yellow Magic Orchestra
    5) Echolyn
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Other than youknowwho:

Ween
    Mr Bungle
    Kate Bush
    Robert Wyatt
    Broadcast

summat like that.

Sad to be leaving outs: XTC, Foetus, Melvins, Magma, NoMeansNo, Fugazi, Ruins, Neu!, Už Jsme Doma, Zappa, Beefheart, Steve Reich, Aphex Twin, Swans, Joy Division, Miles Davis, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Scott Walker, Stars In Battledress, NSRO, Morricone, Bjork, Henry Cow, Sparks, Faust, Boredoms... yes this has become a 'kin list. I'm probably the least prog person here.

Composers: Messiaen, Bartok, Vaughan Williams, Shostakovich, Sibelius.

Oh yeah. If I get 6 then Ween is definitely on that list
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Crimson
    VdGG/PH
    FZ
    Faith No More
    Dylan? I could see Cardiacs/Tim Smith jump in there once I've finished collecting everything.

Nice to see Bungle make a list.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

VDGG/PH
    Bartok
    KC
    Debussy
    Aranis

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Other than youknowwho:

Ween
    Mr Bungle
    Kate Bush
    Robert Wyatt
    Broadcast

summat like that.

Sad to be leaving outs: XTC, Foetus, Melvins, Magma, NoMeansNo, Fugazi, Ruins, Neu!, Už Jsme Doma, Zappa, Beefheart, Steve Reich, Aphex Twin, Swans, Joy Division, Miles Davis, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Scott Walker, Stars In Battledress, NSRO, Morricone, Bjork, Henry Cow, Sparks, Faust, Boredoms... yes this has become a 'kin list. I'm probably the least prog person here.

Composers: Messiaen, Bartok, Vaughan Williams, Shostakovich, Sibelius.
    "I'm probably the least prog person here." .... possibly not.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
    Pixies
    Husker Du
    REM
    Neil Young

Starting another Cardiacs jag after a quiet couple of months. Preparing myself for the new Sea Nymphs.

So difficult to identify a favourite track as there's so many, but Buds & Spawn retains its place at the top of the tree. It gets me every single time, particularly the second half of that song. I'm surprised it doesn't get more love on this thread, it encapsulates everything that's wonderful about Cardiacs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    Starting another Cardiacs jag after a quiet couple of months. Preparing myself for the new Sea Nymphs.

So difficult to identify a favourite track as there's so many, but Buds & Spawn retains its place at the top of the tree. It gets me every single time, particularly the second half of that song. I'm surprised it doesn't get more love on this thread, it encapsulates everything that's wonderful about Cardiacs.
    Buds & Spawns is always killer live but I have to admit that it is one of my least favorite tracks on 'on land'. Says more about the absurd high quality of the rest of that album though...

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Buds & Spawns is always killer live but I have to admit that it is one of my least favorite tracks on 'on land'. Says more about the absurd high quality of the rest of that album though...
    That's funny - I do love the tune - but that is one Cardiacs tune that almost leaves me aurally exhausted by the end. Its like an intense blast of energy on an already pretty hyped-up ride.

I know what you mean, it is an exhausting track ... one of many. Maybe it is because it's towards the end of OLaitS and you're in need of some respite. It's just one of them tunes that gets me emotionally when they crank it up towards the end. I recall Kavus mentioning (i think, forgive me if i'm wrong) that it was exhausting to play too.

That might actually be my favorite track on OLaitS! Probably said it before, but when I listen to it (especially the latter half) it reminds me of what Syd Barrett might've been doing in the 80's had he kept at music and stayed uber-wild & whimsical.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com