Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters Us + Them Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Agreed. Doyle is great, but his SRV influenced style was like drowning the tune in Texas Pete's hot sauce. Not appropriate. Though I found his style at odds with the DSOTM and WWYH tracks moreso than the Animals one.
    Personally, I thought Doyle Bramhall II sounded fantastic with Waters. Given the fact that Gilmour has a very bluesy tone to his playing to begin with, I thought Doyle fit in just perfectly, and I liked his vintage guitar tones a lot better than Gilmour's high tech, 80's, EMG pickup and refrigerator sized effects rack driven tone, as heard on the Delicate Sound Of Thunder and Pulse live albums. That 80's sound worked for the newer material, but somehow, I kept wishing to hear Money, Comfortably Numb being played with passive pickups (like he used up until the mid 80's, and began using again in the 21st century when he started playing his black Strat again) and just a few pedals.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It said something different each night of the tour, I believe. In Cleveland, it said something like "VOTE! Don't be lead to the slaughter".
    Interesting, in NYC it said F*ck Bush (without the asterisk). I guess he figured NYC could take it.

I lived in Austin in 94-95, saw DB I in concert once, gained an appreciation for DB II. I love his playing, but it freaks me out watching him play a right handed guitar, flipped over, not re-strung for a lefty. That In The Flesh DVD is fantastic.

Very much looking forward to experiencing the US & Them show in NC in July. Hope they keep that setlist, should be amazing.

Edit: I was mistaken, just watched this video with all of the cool guitar parts from Dogs, and it's obviously not a right-handed Strat played upside down, looks like some kind of hybrid, with cut out for a lefty, but tuning pegs under the headstock, and strung as if he flipped a righty. Anyway, love this video, think he's a monster player, no matter how unorthodox.

Last edited by Gerhard; 05-24-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Hopefully he plays the full version of Pigs.. as I recall he's done an abridged version during one of his 80's tour.. Setlist looks fine to me..
    It's the complete version, with all of the anti-Trump rhetoric on the big screen for your viewing pleasure.

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    I think I'll just wait until tomorrow night and experience it then.

I'm looking forward to the new album. Im a sucker for old Floyd, so a bit of a nod backward is just fine by me. A little of it sounds rehashed, but I dig that sound a lot, so I say bring it! And I like what I've heard from Bramhall, I like his feel a lot more than Kilminster and at least he just plays the guitar without all the annoying"rock star" hair tossing and dramatics!

Folks keep mentioning Bramhall vs. Kilminster.. Anyone here have an issue with G.E. Smith's playing on the last tour?

The first time I heard of Snowy White and actually saw him play live with Pink Floyd, was back in 1977. He was in fact the first non-Floyd member ever to step on stage and play along side David Gilmour and Waters. Snowy is a veteran now but he is an alumni of the original classic Floyd sounds and sure knows well where to add textures, melodic rhythm notes and lead as well. Snowy has been a valuable player since the Animals and original Wall shows 80-81 through the RW tours 99-2013. His signature guitar is a 1957 Gibson Les Paul classic Gold Top, in fact his only guitar that was auctioned off for $93,750 in 2015. Bramhall, Kilminster and G.E. Smith are great axemen but they don't come from the Gilmour school of Master guitarists pedigree like Snowy who says he is now retired. Check him out and his vintage Les Paul:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/archiv...r-auction.html

The eons are closing
    No AtD songs, no MudShark.
    Animals tuneage is awesome but too much of the classics.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    No AtD songs, no MudShark.
    Animals tuneage is awesome but too much of the classics.
    Really surprised that there is no ATD songs. A bunch of them would still fit the narrative. Even The Powers That Be and Who Needs Information from Radio KAOS would work too.

It was interesting to see many people walking out after Pigs. Great song but the "in your face" anti-Trump rhetoric was unnecessary IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    It was interesting to see many people walking out after Pigs. Great song but the "in your face" anti-Trump rhetoric was unnecessary IMO.

All I can say is BYE!
    Most attendees of a Waters concert are or should be aware of the hyper political slant of his shows. Its not like he started this behavior with Trump. Being surprised by the anti Trump pig shows a lack of awareness in what Waters is about ,mirrored by the lack of awareness that shaped their political loyalties. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    All I can say is BYE!
    Most attendees of a Waters concert are or should be aware of the hyper political slant of his shows. Its not like he started this behavior with Trump. Being surprised by the anti Trump pig shows a lack of awareness in what Waters is about ,mirrored by the lack of awareness that shaped their political loyalties. IMO.
    Exactly. You know precisely what you're getting with Roger. Ridiculous waste of a ticket.

Well we knew it was coming so no surprises there. My biggest bitch was the dim stage lighting. Couldn't see the band very well so your gaze is constantly going to the big screen, which doesn't have lots of band shots.

all the fans that walked out of the todd show got there and were so excited...

Is Roger Manning on the tour??

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Well we knew it was coming so no surprises there. My biggest bitch was the dim stage lighting. Couldn't see the band very well so your gaze is constantly going to the big screen, which doesn't have lots of band shots.
    Makes it more difficult to see that they're lip-syncing/miming
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Makes it more difficult to see that they're lip-syncing/miming
    You couldn't tell that Roger wasn't actually yelling "F*ck that tangerine *sshole!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You couldn't tell that Roger wasn't actually yelling "F*ck that tangerine *sshole!"
    You do know he is most often compared with an orangutan colorwise? Though never refered to as highly evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    You do know he is most often compared with an orangutan colorwise?
    I've never seen that. He's much more orange.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've never seen that. He's much more orange.

Kind of looks like a minstrel show where they didn't have black grease paint, so they used orange. Note the rings around the eyes and mouth.

I saw no one walking out of the Bay Area shows this week after Pigs (and I was looking for that). Sure Roger throws in his political take but to narrow in on Trump specifically, it's hard to argue his take. The Donald is a walking contradiction, a complete hypocrite. It's hard to believe this guy got away with calling Ted Cruz "Lying Ted" or Hillary "Crooked Hillary"... I'm a fan neither but he could teach a class on lying and crookedness!

Now to the original question... go see this show. The visuals are amazing, the sound is extraordinary, the band is superb as is the setlist.

Roger Waters "US + THEM" concert, San Antonio, July 1 2017-

2. More. Months. 4 me...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm going a week from Thursday 24th row center at American Airlines arena in Miami!. If it really impresses me enough and his political nonsense doesn't get to me to much I'll go again to one of the New York shows in September.