Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not Dead Yet: The Memoir by Phil Collins

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Oh Phil, I don't know why you started this whole thing RE; Paul McCartney. And now by still going on about it, it's dragging it out even more and causing yet more headlines. It's quite sad to me to see how personally someone as talented as Phil takes these things.

What's weird is that this was certainly not the first time they met. They actually recorded a track together called 'Angry' with Pete Townshend, back in the mid 80s! McCartney at that point was being produced by Collins'/Genesis producer Hugh Padgham (another relationship which didn't run very smoothly!).
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-29-2016 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    What's weird is that this was certainly not the first time they met. They actually recorded a track together called 'Angry' with Pete Townshend, back in the mid 80s!
    Were they definitely in the studio together for that?

^Yes. I am sure there was a photo of the three of them in the studio...from memory, in the MTV mini-documentary about the making of that album (Press To Play).

Yes, Phil talks about recording that track in the book.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I am still waiting for his book to arrive at the library. Also the Springsteen book.

Oh Phil, I don't know why you started this whole thing RE; Paul McCartney. And now by still going on about it, it's dragging it out even more and causing yet more headlines. It's quite sad to me to see how personally someone as talented as Phil takes these things.

What's weird is that this was certainly not the first time they met. They actually recorded a track together called 'Angry' with Pete Townshend, back in the mid 80s! McCartney at that point was being produced by Collins'/Genesis producer Hugh Padgham (another relationship which didn't run very smoothly!).
    OK I wasn't there, but Macca's comment does sound faintly condescending. I can imagine Lennon saying it.

It was his 'Heather Mills' period, lest we forget. But it happened nearly 15 years ago. Oddly I remember an interview circa 2007-ish where he called out McCartney for 'wrong musical choices'...and he didn't mention this then, when presumably it would have been rawer:

https://www.genesisfan.net/phil-coll...lams-mccartney

You have all these interviews, like the one below, where he's always apologising for his success and I find that very sad. But then being a 'punching bag' for so long will do that to people.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...annoying-i-was

On a more positive level, his comeback has been fairly well received...maybe the tide is turning.
    Last edited by JJ88; 10-29-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    The parts about his recent (2012-13) decent into alcoholism are pretty horrendous.

Man, you weren't kidding. I finished the book last night and that was pretty harrowing. I knew it had been bad, but I didn't realize it was that bad. It takes a brave man to put that story out there with 100% honesty.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just finished the book over the weekend and really enjoyed it. As others have mentioned I had no clue about the major alcohol problems that surfaced in his mid 50’s. He lays it out there going into a lot of detail of what happened. I had no clue. His various marriage problems also were interesting to read. Although he does not seem to have had nearly the wild life with women as many of his rock star peers (I just read Carmen Appice’s book recently……jesh, he got around), but he seemed to have a problem with completely falling head over heels for certain women whether he was married or not. He seems to carry a lot of guilt regarding his failed marriages, and the way he was not around for his older kids. I found it very cool that he still seems to be close friends with all of his Genesis bandmates including Peter Gabriel whom he seems much fonder of than the press often alludes too. It sounds like he had full intentions of touring The Lamb back when the 5 of them re-convened in the mid 00’s, but really too bad it did not happen. Anyway, I really enjoyed the book and feel like I have a bit more of an insight into what makes him tick.

We all know Phil is a sensitive soul, I can see why he did it.

Decent book. I'm turned off about how he handles family issues - and over and over like he never learns his lesson. He said his old man was pretty much not a supporting type and I think that must have contributed to how he was later in life - but fame and fortune really messed him up. Dunno... when your family is calling for you - I dont care how 'important' the obligations are (yes - easier said than done I suppose) but come on man - you go to family - screw 'Genesis' or 'Disney' Oh well... lots of interesting bits and pieces all through it. Worth reading for sure.

I got the book from the library a few days ago and have skimmed it. The Live Aid chapter is hilarious. Not sure if there's much here about Genesis that I didn't already know, but I will look at it some more.

Banned
    I finished the audio book some time ago. I agree with what's been said pretty much. It seemed to portray a very insecure and selfish fellow on some levels and there wasn't as much as I would have liked about the pre-pop Genesis in depth and not much introspection on moving from innovative music that created it's own world into pop dogshit written expressly to make money (he all but admits this). Still it was very enjoyable, revealing and worth the time and money. Amazing how the adoration of millions and accumulated riches doesn't seem to make some folks any happier or secure. Anyway I still respect him for his immense talent including his vocal ability, amazing drum chops and showmanship. I think he did his best to give an honest account and what was important to him.

... and as far as the negative stuff, who knows until you walked in another man's shoes. If I had access to all the drugs and girls I wanted as a young man it probably would have been a total disaster... but I'm still willing to take that risk.

Just finished the hard-cover edition. It was great fun at times, it brought back lovely musical memories of the seventies, it gives a good view on his troubles with women and marriage (after all, it's an autobiography, so it can't be about music alone) and shows some frightening things about his health-issues.
    I've always respected Phil Collins, although I didn't enjoy the music he made later in his lifetime. Funny, after reading this stuff I'm even a bit curious about his later albums.

wishing Phil Collins good health.... he would only ruin death.

How much of the book is about the music? I have read a handful of musician autobiographies and they all seem to have a similar timeline: innocent childhood to struggling artist to the bottle/needle to rehab. The good books take a least a few pages here and there to tell us about the music. Even Keith Richards surprisingly remembered to do that occasionally in his book.

I'd say a lot of the book is about the music. When you think about it, Phil was a virtual slave to his musical impulses, which is why he almost never turned down any offer to play with someone, which in turn is why he was so ubiquitous throughout the 80's. It's a really good book. I've listened to it twice through now and am glad I did as there are a few places, namely some of the parts dealing with his friendship and musical journeys with Eric Clapton, where I must've totally zoned out and not heard everything!

Yeah, there's quite a bit about the music I'd say. And he doesn't shy away from the early days either.

I especially liked when he revealed that the drumming in the "Apocalypse in 9/8" section of Supper's Ready was 100% spontaneous. What appeared on the record was the 1st take.

He also said of Brand X that it was a fun diversion for him, and that he especially thought the first 2 records were the best. The part of that relationship that he didn't think so highly of was the fact that the other guys were such party animals. It seems that they were pretty non-stop and full-on in that regard.

He even mentioned he sang Star of Sirius on Voyage of the Acolyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I especially liked when he revealed that the drumming in the "Apocalypse in 9/8" section of Supper's Ready was 100% spontaneous. What appeared on the record was the 1st take.

He also said of Brand X that it was a fun diversion for him, and that he especially thought the first 2 records were the best. The part of that relationship that he didn't think so highly of was the fact that the other guys were such party animals. It seems that they were pretty non-stop and full-on in that regard.
    Didn't Goodsall end up with some pretty major drug issues? I am actually kind of new to Brand X and don't know all the history.

Got this one for Christmas.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally