Results 5,851 to 5,875 of 5969

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    At least we don't see her applying it to her taint
    But it is mentioned. Sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    At least we don't see her applying it to her taint
    She gonna smell better longer man.

At the end of one of her Lume commercials, she asks, "Why didn't someone think of this sooner?" I scream at the TV, "Because it's not necessary!!!!"
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I almost always record TV on my PVR and skip through commercials.
    Same here, except remove the word 'almost'. I can't believe anyone in this day and age would waste their precious, dwindling time watching commercials. This comes in particularly handy with a show like Jeopardy, where I can skip the enormous heaps of commercials and the 'meet the contestants' segment, and just have nice 15 minute episodes of pure trivia. Or back when I used to watch SNL and I could skip the opening political sketch, the two straight minutes of audience shrieking before the guest could begin their monologue, the mass commercials, and the almost always terrible musical guests. Just sketches and news segment. 45 minute show.

The only shows I watch live now are commercial-free ones... HBO, for example. Commercials are for the birds.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    At the end of one of her Lume commercials, she asks, "Why didn't someone think of this sooner?" I scream at the TV, "Because it's not necessary!!!!"
    This is why I stopped watching TV last year. My wife didn't like me talking back to the commercials, and neither did I.
    Many are such borderline scams, or probably just not shut down yet. The goal seems to be that the "grey area" between legit legal and complete scam. That's where the money is, or at least the biggest margins.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I almost always record TV on my PVR and skip through commercials.
    Yep - same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Not really. The ones that I find terminal are the Medicare Advantage commercials. I mute the sound.
    On the rare occasions I'm watching live TV, the mute button is hit the moment the commercials start. It's been a house rule for decades. So - I've actually heard ... almost no commercials.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Yep -
    On the rare occasions I'm watching live TV, the mute button is hit the moment the commercials start. .
    Same here. I'm holding the remote all the time. And now a terminally long block of commercials. I hit the mute button so fast your head will spin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Hilarious. I'd probably yell at her and say..."It's been thought of before."!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Burger King are the ones I mute, I hate their bloody songs trying to squash words 8n to fit.
    OH MY GOD! Preach it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Is anyone else fed up with seeing the Consumer Cellular commercial, this thing is everywhere.
    Lol, I guess I was wrong about not being fed up that much with the Consumer Cellular ads. Not sure what I was thinking. That has to be one of the longest TV commercials ever. It's gotta be 2 minutes long. That is an eternity on free TV. Hell yes I'm sick of it. I even change the channel.....AND THERE IT IS AGAIN!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Same here, except remove the word 'almost'. I can't believe anyone in this day and age would waste their precious, dwindling time watching commercials. This comes in particularly handy with a show like Jeopardy, where I can skip the enormous heaps of commercials and the 'meet the contestants' segment, and just have nice 15 minute episodes of pure trivia. Or back when I used to watch SNL and I could skip the opening political sketch, the two straight minutes of audience shrieking before the guest could begin their monologue, the mass commercials, and the almost always terrible musical guests. Just sketches and news segment. 45 minute show.

The only shows I watch live now are commercial-free ones... HBO, for example. Commercials are for the birds.
    When my parents got a Fire TV, with the ability to pause and fast forward over the air TV programs, I couldn't convince them of what a benefit that is. They'd rather just sit there with the TV muted.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Damn it. I just heard that Black Country Communion is playing at a club in Ft. Lauderdale tomorrow night. I know the club but at my age (66) do I really want to make a 60 mile round trip on a Sunday night, when I have to get up at 4am, and it's St. Paddy. Nah, I'll have to pass. 15-20 years ago I'm there with bells on.

Lol, I guess I was wrong about not being fed up that much with the Consumer Cellular ads. Not sure what I was thinking. That has to be one of the longest TV commercials ever. It's gotta be 2 minutes long. That is an eternity on free TV. Hell yes I'm sick of it. I even change the channel.....AND THERE IT IS AGAIN!!!!!
    I must have seen it come on at least ten times today.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Pretty much any commercial that breaks out into song.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Pretty much any commercial that breaks out into song.
    Or people dancing like idiots around the kitchen and bedroom. Happy people, just dancing and shaking their asses for whatever product is being pushed. Hey, my doctor told me I've lowered my A1C, ....starts dancing like a fool.....

Commercials are routinely muted in my home as well, and it makes it difficult to watch a sporting event at someone else's home without twitching when they don't. Another alternative I use is to have another event on the channel A/B button and flip when a commercial comes on to the "primary" broadcast. Golf is ideal, as there are generally fewer commercial breaks in a live golf broadcast, and I enjoy watching golf anyway.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    With soccer you can get a full 45 minutes with no commercials then bounce to something else during halftime then another 45 uninterrupted.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Or people dancing like idiots around the kitchen and bedroom. Happy people, just dancing and shaking their asses for whatever product is being pushed. Hey, my doctor told me I've lowered my A1C, ....starts dancing like a fool.....
    Indeed. I was going to mention "dance," but it's a given. You won't have dance without song. But, even those without the dance drive me nuts. It seems to be a trend.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

With soccer you can get a full 45 minutes with no commercials then bounce to something else during halftime then another 45 uninterrupted.
    Same with rugby (Union).

The USA Formula 1 broadcasts are always commercial free, for the full 2+ hours of the event. They have limited commercials during practice sessions and between the qualifying rounds, but since I always watch recordings of those events a few hours after they've happened, I can skip through them.

I'm a marketing person's worst nightmare - I don't believe I've actually watched and heard a full commercial in the past decade - other then during the Superbowl. (Ironically, my wife was a marketing professional before we had kids )
    Regards,

Duncan

They all have the interstitial ads and little cute crawlers that are always onscreen.
    No escape.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I have the same irritating issues with AM Radio. The endless commercials that shove the phone numbers at you over and over. Call 1-888- blah blah blah, over and over and over and ........

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Yeah, but then you have to watch soccer which is worse than commercials.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Yeah, but then you have to watch soccer which is worse than commercials.
    LMAO...

It's a great sport, but I'd watch golf, girls softball, bowling, hockey before I'd watch soccer.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The beautiful game, no sarcasm, no irony.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The beautiful game, no sarcasm, no irony.
    Like with most sports, people get wrapped up in the drama side stuff rather than the contest at hand.
    There are few sports that focus on the teamwork, athleticism, and endurance more than soccer.
    Oh, and it's international, and you don't have to watch just the Premier League.

Oh, and extra points if you get the prog references in the video.
    Last edited by markwoll; 03-17-2024 at 04:28 PM.
    -- Aristotle