Page 231 of 243 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235241 ... LastLast
Results 5,751 to 5,775 of 6052

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

About a decade ago I shattered my ankle and ended up getting surgery near midnight. In the morning my bladder was ready to burst. The damn nurses wanted me to piss in a bedpan but I wasn't in shape to pull that off. I insisted that they just go ahead and put in a catheter. And then one of the nurses said as the bag filled up, "oh wow, you REALLY had to pee". Yeah, no kidding. It still pisses me off.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I had a real “Git Off My Lawn” experience today! A County Tax Assessor came to my door. Asked questions about my home and was especially interested in home improvements before 1996. (The year they went digital) He also wanted to go into my backyard to take photos of my view. I answered his questions truthfully but denied him access to my backyard. He said photos of my view could potentially Lower my Taxes!?! I asked him if I look like a turnip farmer who just fell off the truck! I should have heeded my own advice…..never answer the front door!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I am on the third day of a Prednisone regimen to relieve tendinitis inflammation in my right foot and hopefully to temper some of the inflamed aches in a few other areas. So far, results are minimal, this shit makes me very thirsty, and packs a nasty headache. Bonus: they x-rayed my foot beforehand and though it showed no current stress fractures, it looks like I have broken bones in my foot before. WTF? Another strange bonus, the last couple mornings I've had morning wood that could cut a diamond.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Tee Em Eye

You know you're a Boomer when you're the only one at the pub who pays cash, and people look at you like you're a dinosaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Another strange bonus, the last couple mornings I've had morning wood that could cut a diamond.
    Don't roll over too quickly!

LOL!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    You know you're a Boomer when you're the only one at the pub who pays cash, and people look at you like you're a dinosaur.
    Some of the breweries I've been to lately charge a fee if you use a card. They're actively trying to incentivize using cash, because they have to pay fees to the credit card companies.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Some of the breweries I've been to lately charge a fee if you use a card. They're actively trying to incentivize using cash, because they have to pay fees to the credit card companies.
    When we were in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan back in September almost every place we went had signs up saying that a 4% upcharge for paying with credit cards rather than cash. Not something I have seen around the area I live, but we saw it all over the U.P.

4 weeks post major shoulder surgery and bicep tendinosis. Have been off work and will remain so for at least another two weeks. Shoulder surgery a lot longer recovery than knee or hip replacement. Still in padded sling for at least two weeks. Pain no real problem at this point but not allowed to do anything with right arm. This has reawakened my desire to lose 40 lbs. (225 to 185) Inactivity making me feel like a slug. Retirement will be anywhere from Oct 2024 to Oct 2025. Wife has no health insurance and is 62.

No injury just accumulation of years. If I can't be active, I might as well keep working. Full recovery if it happens will probably be over a year.

On a positive note, I have discovered about 20 bands that I now enjoy.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Our local Diner is cash only. Always catches my daughter out.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Our local Diner is cash only. Always catches my daughter out.
    The local park has an ice cream stand that takes no cash.

For an ice cream cone.

I get it. They want to protect the people working there from being robbed. But still...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Over the last decade or so, whenever I've handed cash to a cashier, I see them kind of pause for a moment while they try to compute this unexpected turn of events. Usually they've already proceeded with handing me the card reader. Some of them genuinely struggle with the math, too. I find it sad.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The local park has an ice cream stand that takes no cash.

For an ice cream cone.

I get it. They want to protect the people working there from being robbed. But still...
    There is one of those Sweet Tea shops at the mall that doesn't take cash........but they have a tip jar full o coins?!?!?!?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Over the last decade or so, whenever I've handed cash to a cashier, I see them kind of pause for a moment while they try to compute this unexpected turn of events. Usually they've already proceeded with handing me the card reader. Some of them genuinely struggle with the math, too. I find it sad.
    Want to have some fun? Next time you're at the deli counter of the supermarket and a high-school-age kid is taking orders, ask for a third of a pound of something. The puzzled looks you'll get.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

There's a local business who restores old and vintage audio equipment. They give a considerable discount for paying cash. Many local used record stores will spontaneously apply a bulk discount when I tell them I'm paying cash.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    It is sad, considering how easy it is to count out change, once you know how. Maybe no one is teaching these kids basic math. I know that doesn't apply to all young people, just the ones that hate their job and have lost interest in doing it right. There are some smart people out there, but they're all stuck in jobs they are way overqualified for, because that's the only kind of job there is anymore.

I was really hungry one afternoon, having skipped breakfast and lunch, and more importantly coffee, so I went in McDonalds. They have decent coffee, IIRC. Weirdly, there was no one at the cashiers' counter. They had put up partitions since last I was there, making it difficult to see in the kitchen to see if anyone was working at all. Their annoying flip-screen wall menu was gone. Just a sign saying "order at kiosk." I looked behind me at the kiosk. The one I could see from where I was standing said it was closed. I imagine, had I not been running short on patience by then, that I could have found another one that was functional. The kiosk, as they call it, was a vertical touch screen. I didn't know how it worked and of course there was no one there to tell me. I suppose this was McDonalds' solution to not having enough staff. Seems to me, with COVID still going around, the last thing you'd want is to have all customers using the same touch screen that probably didn't get wiped clean or disinfected until the end of shift. Never the biggest fan of McDonalds' food, or the "fuck you" vibe I got from no human contact, I walked out. If I'd ordered something, considering there was no cashier, would cash even be an option?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I've gone into McDonald's a couple times and that kiosk situation is a mess. A couple times I have placed an order and picked the option to pay at the counter. Guess what? Both times I was handed my food by some underpaid, overworked kid who didn't now or care that I needed to be rang up.

There definitely are a couple generations now that can't make change in their heads. If they meet a guy like me who figures in advance the right amount to pay to avoid getting a lot of ones or change, it really messes their internal programming to such a degree they can no longer function.

One thing I'm finding less use for is pennies. Quarters, dimes, nickels still serve a purpose....vending machines.

People are suprised I don't have a cellphone, while I'm an avid computer-user.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    One thing I'm finding less use for is pennies. Quarters, dimes, nickels still serve a purpose....vending machines.
    Canada stopped issuing pennies about five years ago. They were a total hassle.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Canada stopped issuing pennies about five years ago. They were a total hassle.
    I have a friend who collects coins. He never gets rid of his pennies. There are some in circulation that might be rare and worth something.

I only get morning wood in my dreams....

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I thought I was the last one.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA)
    I thought I was the last one.
    Welcome to the club.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Welcome to the club.
    I'm only a social member of the club. I still use a "dumb" flip phone. I have no idea how to use a "smart" phone.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.