Page 239 of 244 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243 ... LastLast
Results 5,951 to 5,975 of 6079

Thread: The Damn I'm Old Thread - Putting Up With Being a Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My aunt had both knees replaced. One of which she messed up slipping in the Denver snow. Now she's barely mobile, unable to walk without at least a cane.
    That really sucks. I am hoping I have not done anything permanent to my situation.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    It's good to have one of those. Mine's a retired nurse, so my various surgeries, therapies, tests, treatments, and visits are now her hobby. She's really good at it.

Get better quick!
    I'm trying. Thank you for the encouragement.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Best of luck, Lou and Steve.
    Thank you, Mark. I'm getting there.
    Lou

Yeah, best of luck guys.

My hips bother me now and then. I hope to hell it is just arthritis. It feels like arthritis.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, best of luck guys.

My hips bother me now and then. I hope to hell it is just arthritis. It feels like arthritis.
    Thank you. If you ever have the hip(s) replaced, I hear the recovery is easier than with a knee. My knee was arthritic, so arthritis can be pretty damaging. Do what the doctor says is necessary.
    Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Thank you. If you ever have the hip(s) replaced, I hear the recovery is easier than with a knee. My knee was arthritic, so arthritis can be pretty damaging. Do what the doctor says is necessary.
    My wife had both of her hips done, she was up and walking right after her first and the next day with her second. You just can't pee sitting down for awhile.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, best of luck guys.

My 11 year old hip implant occasionally bothers me if I do a lot of bending over. I'll stand up, and there's a sharp pain shooting up my spine. I have to just stand for a few seconds waiting for it to subside. Before I can take my first step.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Posted this photo over at the Martin Fan FB page. Created quite the $#itstorm!

IMG_4454.jpg
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

^ Shouldn't that be in the woodworking thread?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Fucking cluster headaches back for third lifetime round, first at age 45, then like a decade later, and now back as I approach 65. Seeing my PCP today...anybody recommend a particular medication? (BTW weed seems to trigger, not ameliorate the headaches. Fortunately I have no love of alcohol (last thing I need is a depressant) as that is an immediate trigger. Can't read, listen to music, watch TV during these events...or smoke any weed...

Turning 66 on Monday. I decided to work until at least July of 2025 at this point.
    No sense retiring now, need my shoulder to recover in order to be able to do things.
    Wife 62 which complicates things.

I am going to try make it through December although I could retire in August when wife turns 65. However, 40 years of clinical social work has me pretty burnt out and my deteriorating memory is not helping me professionally (or personally for that matter...)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm a policy manager with the federal government. I'm pretty fixated on retirement. I'm 62 and have 2 years and 11 months to retire (not tha I'm counting!!). My wife has a thriving practice as a registered psychotherapist and is almost 60 years old. She isn't going to retire when she's 65 but instead work half time. i had a meeting this week with a financial advisor with specializes in retirement planning. I don't have to pay him because I have investments with Sunlife. I went over my household assets with him this week and he is going to crunch the numbers and tell me what to expect in retirement next week. I'm really grateful and think I'm likely fine to keep my current lifestyle but not 100 percent sure.
    I'm 100 percent sure I'll love retirement and can hardly wait the 2 year 11 months (lol)! I'm envious of folks on this thread that have already retired.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^^ My aunt retired from the Federal Government. She's living a very comfortable retirement....apart form her bad knees.

I’ll soon be retired as long as my whole work career! Retired 19 years now and it’s the Best Job I ever had! (Retired at 45)

What did I do? I ran the engine room of a container ship but we never took a bridge down! Yes….it was a stressful dangerous career.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I'm almost 63 and still no retirement in sight. We're both essentially working part time making decent money with our own business. Almost semi-retirement. As long as I still have and like my clients, I'll keep going. I wouldn't mind being busier, but we have a good retirement plan, have owned our house outright for nearly 20 years, almost all of the kids' schooling is paid off and cash flow is good.

Yet, I find myself continually reminding others how good we have it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've been retired since August '21. I'm living my best life. Concerts and breweries and beer festivals. Life is awesome.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've been retired since August '21. I'm living my best life. Concerts and breweries and beer festivals. Life is awesome.
    sities.
    Retired at the end of 2020 and that is my life too (plus quite a bit of travel). I absolutely love it and do not miss the pressure and stress of my job at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Fucking cluster headaches back for third lifetime round, first at age 45, then like a decade later, and now back as I approach 65. Seeing my PCP today...anybody recommend a particular medication? (BTW weed seems to trigger, not ameliorate the headaches. Fortunately I have no love of alcohol (last thing I need is a depressant) as that is an immediate trigger. Can't read, listen to music, watch TV during these events...or smoke any weed...
    I have had problems with cluster headaches on the right side of my head since my mid 20’s. Like you they have kind of come and gone over the years, but I had a significant uptick when I had to have some dental implants on the same side of my face about 10 years ago. For me, the one drug that really works is Zolmitriptan. In fact, I can usually take a half of one and it will have an impact on the headache. The only bad thing about it is the drug makes you groggy and drowsy. Not a problem if it is at night and you are going to bed, but during the day it makes me feel like I want to lay down and take a nap. It does work for me though.

^^^^^^^^^^
    I justhad my first root canal two weeks ago due to abcess(crown tomorrow)...coincidence?

PCP put me on a five day "burst" of Predisone plus rx for Imitrix which seems to give me relief but they also gave me only 9 pills?
    Last edited by rickawakeman; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:11 AM.

My wife and I were ready for grocery shopping on Sunday. I couldn't find my wallet and drove to restaurants I frequented on the weekend (and parking lots) I searched for about 4 hours in the house, car, driveway. I had all my credit cards (3), bank card, license and health card and a bunch of others. It kinda ruined my Sunday. I keep checking my balance at my bank on my app. Nothing. I was just hoping someone would turn it in and held steady so I held off cancelling anything. A nearby Shopping mall (I was never at) called (the security department) and they found my wallet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All credit cards but someone took $20 (couldn't care a less).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^^ I had an incident BC (Before Covid). I was waiting for the crossing signal, to get to the bus stop on the other side of the street. I looked down and saw a wallet lying on the ground. I picked it up, and started weighing my options. I could call the police non-emergency number, and sit around waiting an hour or more to turn in the wallet. Then it dawned on me to look at the address on the ID. I realized the owner lived in the townhouse complex just behind the strip mall. So I hoofed it over there, knocked on the guys door, and handed him his wallet. Here's the kicker: I just came out of the record store in the strip mall I just mentioned. I intended to simply hop on the bus going North, but I had to pee really bad. So I crossed the street to the Fry's/Kroger to use their restroom, and buy a couple of items. It was on my way back I found the wallet. But for the fact my bladder was full, I never would've been there to find the wallet at all.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ I had an incident BC (Before Covid). I was waiting for the crossing signal, to get to the bus stop on the other side of the street. I looked down and saw a wallet lying on the ground. I picked it up, and started weighing my options. I could call the police non-emergency number, and sit around waiting an hour or more to turn in the wallet. Then it dawned on me to look at the address on the ID. I realized the owner lived in the townhouse complex just behind the strip mall. So I hoofed it over there, knocked on the guys door, and handed him his wallet. Here's the kicker: I just came out of the record store in the strip mall I just mentioned. I intended to simply hop on the bus going North, but I had to pee really bad. So I crossed the street to the Fry's/Kroger to use their restroom, and buy a couple of items. It was on my way back I found the wallet. But for the fact my bladder was full, I never would've been there to find the wallet at all.
    Congratulations on being honest. Not everyone is but I am hopeful given that someone took the time to go to security at the mall and return all my cards in my wallet. They could have easily used the tap feature on my visa and spend like crazy. I think most people are honest.

Yesterday morning I got up and started a load of wash then I saw a pair of pants on the floor I wanted to wear last night so I took out the belt and put them in the wash. I got dressed to go out and couldn't find my wallet on my desk, which is where I put it every night with my comb. I thought maybe I did something I have never done and left it in my pants and put it in the wash. I stopped the machine and found my pants but no wallet in the pocket so I restarted the machine. Went downstairs looked everywhere and tore apart my desk again and no wallet. Then I thought maybe it came out of my pocket in the wash so I checked the pants again and found my comb in a pocket. I proceed to empty the machine and found a totally drenched wallet in the bottom of the machine. I went downstairs an proceeded to separate and lay out all the money and folded papers with phone numbers and email addresses along with my SS card and Medicare card. The wallet was already pretty much shot but them and belts are pretty much something that has to be almost dust before getting a new one. This is something I have never done before, I must have been really tired when I went to bed.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Yesterday morning I got up and started a load of wash then I saw a pair of pants on the floor I wanted to wear last night so I took out the belt and put them in the wash. I got dressed to go out and couldn't find my wallet on my desk, which is where I put it every night with my comb. I thought maybe I did something I have never done and left it in my pants and put it in the wash. I stopped the machine and found my pants but no wallet in the pocket so I restarted the machine. Went downstairs looked everywhere and tore apart my desk again and no wallet. Then I thought maybe it came out of my pocket in the wash so I checked the pants again and found my comb in a pocket. I proceed to empty the machine and found a totally drenched wallet in the bottom of the machine. I went downstairs an proceeded to separate and lay out all the money and folded papers with phone numbers and email addresses along with my SS card and Medicare card. The wallet was already pretty much shot but them and belts are pretty much something that has to be almost dust before getting a new one. This is something I have never done before, I must have been really tired when I went to bed.
    I would never carry my SS card in my wallet. That's a recipe for identity theft. At a minimum, that's a card I don't want to lose.