Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake Marillion Bandcamp Account!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Fake Marillion Bandcamp Account!

I wanted to start a separate thread about this because I thought it was such a fascinating thing to see, and I guess it's still unraveling.

Someone posted on the Marillion F.E.A.R. thread that the album was available for download on Bandcamp even though the release date was pushed back to Sept. 23rd.

https://marillionband.bandcamp.com/album/f-e-a-r

I took a look and figured that someone Bandcamp had mistakenly threw it up for download, not knowing the release date was changed (I really don't know how Bandcamp works, not having a band - don't know if the bands post releases themselves or if Bandcamp does it). Anyway, I immediately purchased the download and downloaded the FLAC files and the MP3s, then I emailed Lucy Jordache to let her know, thinking this was a mistake on Bandcamp's part. (I did think the $4.90 download price was pretty low.) Lucy emailed me back and said someone was trying to make money off of them, they were aware of it and were handling the situation. I have no doubt that heads will roll! The files posted are probably the leaked MP3 files, and they were probably bogusly converted to FLAC format.

But this is pretty alarming that someone can falsify this and collect payments for fraudulently posted music. I've already sent a message to Bandcamp asking for a refund.

It will be pretty interesting to see what happens - I'm curious to see what Bandcamp has to say in response to my message.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I wanted to start a separate thread about this because I thought it was such a fascinating thing to see, and I guess it's still unraveling.

Someone posted on the Marillion F.E.A.R. thread that the album was available for download on Bandcamp even though the release date was pushed back to Sept. 23rd.

I'm the one who posted the link on the Marillion forum after seing it posted here in the FEAR thread. I couldn't imagine it wasn't legit until I saw your updates.

Jefferson James
    Welcome to the digital age, what a horrible situation for Marillion and their fans -- like it's not hard enough already. I'm interested in the Bandcamp reaction as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Welcome to the digital age, what a horrible situation for Marillion and their fans -- like it's not hard enough already. I'm interested in the Bandcamp reaction as well.
    Maybe Marillion could start a Kickstarter campaign to try to sort the whole thing out?

// Mattias

Old man of prog
    Wow I just bought it in WAV and it's obviously a boot. Tinny, clipping, dropouts, etc. I just sent "Marillion" a nasty email on "their" bandcamp account.

I'm gonna listen to it once and then delete.

I want my first real listen to be in 24/96 after I figure out how to rip the damn bluray.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I want my first real listen to be in 24/96 after I figure out how to rip the damn bluray.
    So, it gets a little complicated, but I've found the best way to do this involves two programs: MakeMKV and WinFF. The former allows you to rip the Blu-Ray into .mkv files, and the latter allows you to convert those .mkv files to audio files. There may be an easier way, but I've yet to discover it.

I should fall over in my chair right now. Dirt dive?

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    I should fall over in my chair right now. Dirt dive?
    Hi Bob! Nice to know who you are now after ProgDay! But I don't quite get the above - maybe it's just me.

Jed

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

I took a look and figured that someone Bandcamp had mistakenly threw it up for download, not knowing the release date was changed (I really don't know how Bandcamp works, not having a band - don't know if the bands post releases themselves or if Bandcamp does it). Anyway, I immediately purchased the download and downloaded the FLAC files and the MP3s, then I emailed Lucy Jordache to let her know, thinking this was a mistake on Bandcamp's part. (I did think the $4.90 download price was pretty low.) Lucy emailed me back and said someone was trying to make money off of them, they were aware of it and were handling the situation. I have no doubt that heads will roll! The files posted are probably the leaked MP3 files, and they were probably bogusly converted to FLAC format.

But this is pretty alarming that someone can falsify this and collect payments for fraudulently posted music. I've already sent a message to Bandcamp asking for a refund.

It will be pretty interesting to see what happens - I'm curious to see what Bandcamp has to say in response to my message.
    Marillion now knows...stand by...

I will quote Marillion shortly....

@Progradar illegal. Not us. Please don't share this

@Progradar @ProgRockMelanie if you got it from band camp it's not legal and you have given money to a stealing scumbag

Quote Originally Posted by melanieshiffman View Post
    Marillion now knows...stand by..
    As I said above I exchanged emails with Lucy about it earlier today and she was already aware of it, and said it was an unauthorized person trying to sell the album - and a bum version at that!

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by soundchaser93 View Post
    So, it gets a little complicated, but I've found the best way to do this involves two programs: MakeMKV and WinFF. The former allows you to rip the Blu-Ray into .mkv files, and the latter allows you to convert those .mkv files to audio files. There may be an easier way, but I've yet to discover it.
    I'm a mac user and I use DVD Audio Extractor to rip DVD-A's and I "kind of" ripped the bluray of the new Chicago Box Set with an external bluray player and a trial version of MakeMKV but it wasn't very intuitive. Was supposed to be 24/96 but for some reason only gave me 24/48 and no song ID's

Quote Originally Posted by melanieshiffman View Post
    @Progradar @ProgRockMelanie if you got it from band camp it's not legal and you have given money to a stealing scumbag
    Are @Progradar and @ProgRockMelanie both Twitter things? I've never used Twitter - I hope they send out an email! As I said I sent a message to Bandcamp about this asking for a refund - I think whoever did this is going to have to be confronted by Bandcamp - that's where it's going to get interesting.

Yes Twitter

I'm a mac user and I use DVD Audio Extractor to rip DVD-A's and I "kind of" ripped the bluray of the new Chicago Box Set with an external bluray player and a trial version of MakeMKV but it wasn't very intuitive. Was supposed to be 24/96 but for some reason only gave me 24/48 and no song ID's
    I've used MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor to rip Blu-rays for many years (on Windows). I even use them to rip 5.1 FLACs as well as hires stereo (including 24/96). I've never had a problem (occasionally MakeMKV falls a bit behind the latest Blu-ray crypto version but the next release has always caught up). I always input the album and track titles manually though. (I do use my own custom software for playback and cataloging so that could be masking any issues you may be encountering with playback.)

/waiting for Bandcamp to have a page for an artist named The Beatles

Sounds like Marillion needs to talk to their solicitor about going after Bandcamp and the individual account holder. Both are accountable.

It still seems to be up as of now (Monday morning EDT). Wonder what Bandcamp's usual time frame is for taking things down (and/or preventing them being re-uploaded)? Don't know how common it is for them, but I hope they can at least do better than Grooveshark.

I just bought it in WAV and it's obviously a boot. Tinny, clipping, dropouts, etc. ... I want my first real listen to be in 24/96 after I figure out how to rip the damn bluray.
    Not to be too snarky, but then, why not just wait until you actually get the Blu-ray and rip it?

Old man of prog
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    It still seems to be up as of now (Monday morning EDT). Wonder what Bandcamp's usual time frame is for taking things down (and/or preventing them being re-uploaded)? Don't know how common it is for them, but I hope they can at least do better than Grooveshark.

Not to be too snarky, but then, why not just wait until you actually get the Blu-ray and rip it?

Just listened once then deleted. Temptation was too great.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    It still seems to be up as of now (Monday morning EDT).

Uhh, because he didn't know it was fraudulent?

Apparently it's down now, and Marillion has got an OFFICIAL Bandcamp page.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a reply from Bandcamp about my message asking for a refund. If they don't reply I'm going to send another message asking if their policy is to allow fraudulent pages, and it's the responsibility of their customers to detect and steer clear of them.

I don't think they're used to communicating directly with customers, so this may take a while.

Temptation was too great.
    That I can understand.