Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull - "Stand Up: The Elevated Edition (2CD & DVD Deluxe Set) due in November

Jethro Tull - "Stand Up: The Elevated Edition (2CD & DVD Deluxe Set) due in November

Jethro Tull - "Stand Up: The Elevated Edition (2CD & DVD Deluxe Set) due in November;

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...t/#more-125713

Nice! I'm very excited for this one, Stand Up is my favorite Tull album by far.

Ian sure enjoys relieving me of my $, that's for sure.

I wish this would be released on vinyl.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

So is this going to render my Mobile Fidelity gold disc version w/pop-up sleeve useless?

I'd like to hear the Stockholm concert! The fold out version I have ....released years ago features the Carnegie Hall show and that is outstanding. I don't know if I should buy this a second time just to hear Wilson's remix and an unreleased concert. Although Steve Wilson is great at remixing, I'll probably save my money for something else.

It will be mine, just like all the others.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

There are some progressive rock albums that mean so much to me i reflexively buy just about every new edition and remaster.Stand Up is one of those albums.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Probably my least favourite 70s Tull album, but still a good un.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Probably my least favourite 70s Tull album, but still a good un.
    1969, actually.

I have a UK vinyl rip of this album that really raised the value on this album for me considerably. I always thought it was pretty good-to-great, but after buying both the old CD version and the remaster, the vinyl rip just demonstrated that this album really doesn't sound like ass, actually quite opposite, and made it 'pop' for me. Its quite a jump from its predecessor in many ways, but ultimately I like Stand Up and Benefit about equally these days. "Reasons for Waiting" and "Look into the Sun" always seem to make an appearance on any Tull compilation I make for people.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Ian sure enjoys relieving me of my $, that's for sure.
    I'll pass on this one, because I bought the previous two CD+DVD version a few years back

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    So is this going to render my Mobile Fidelity gold disc version w/pop-up sleeve useless?
    Actually this is pop-down version

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    There are some progressive rock albums that mean so much to me i reflexively buy just about every new edition and remaster.Stand Up is one of those albums.
    Well I did get rid of the first CD version when I bought the remastered Mini-Lp with the bonus, than I stupidly indulgedin the one I cited just above (I get no mileage out of it)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I have a UK vinyl rip of this album that really raised the value on this album for me considerably. I always thought it was pretty good-to-great, but after buying both the old CD version and the remaster, the vinyl rip just demonstrated that this album really doesn't sound like ass, actually quite opposite, and made it 'pop' for me. Its quite a jump from its predecessor in many ways, but ultimately I like Stand Up and Benefit about equally these days. "Reasons for Waiting" and "Look into the Sun" always seem to make an appearance on any Tull compilation I make for people.

I have the original UK vinyl since I'm six years-old.... Well I accaparated/swiped it from my dad and put in next to my first bought with my own money album COTC) when I was 11
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This makes Stand Up right again, as I never understood why the "collectors" version from 2010 had the Carnegie bonus disc. Anyway, it's one of my fav Tull albums, if not of all time.

BTW, Stockholm is brilliant, iconic, what music was about in 1969. Too bad they don't have the entire show, or the WDR Swing In documentary or Royal Albert Hall 1969 video - all available on Youtube.

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

JETHRO TULL
    Konserthuset
    Stockholm, Sweden
    January 9, 1969 LATE SHOW

PLEASE NOTE : the songs "To Be Sad Is a Mad Way to Be" and "Back to the Family" officially released on the 25th Anniversary set are from the EARLY SHOW.

SETLIST
    01.Intro + tuning-up
    02.My Sunday Feeling
    03.Martin's Tune
    04.To Be Sad Is a Mad Way to Be
    05.Back to the Family
    06.Dharma For One
    07.Nothing Is Easy
    08.Song For Jeffrey

TOTAL TIME 1:05:04

THE BAND:
    Ian Anderson - vocals, flute
    Martin Barre - electric guitar
    Glenn Cornick - basx
    Clive Bunker - drums
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Interesting. For the past few years I have worked my way chronologically into Tull's back catalogue (and have reached Too old... so far), and Stand Up is clearly one of my favorites. Freshness, diversity, energy. The songs have a straightforward quality that contrasts with later material, but they have their own subtlety. I absolutely love Look Into The Sun.

"Reasons for Waiting" and "Look into the Sun"
    Back when I became a Tull fanatic along with a childhood buddy of mine, these exact two tunes were the pivotal objective of our interest - simply due to the fact that they were easy to learn how to play on acoustic guitar and furthermore because they seemed to catch a very peculiar atmosphere of the "foggy 1969" spirit. We used to bring our instruments into the woods nearby his house and sit on a cliff while jamming these songs, overlooking the forest valley and the Nordåsvatnet inlet (see below). We were 17-year olds and just beginning to see the truly valuable sides of grownup lives, not knowing what shitty fates awaited us just yet. Well, awaited him anyway. I still relive tremendous sentiment on just thinking of those melodies and lyrics, and I pretty much love the album as a whole.

j1.jpg
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Great post Richard. Beautiful photo too.

Its quite a jump from its predecessor in many ways, but ultimately I like Stand Up and Benefit about equally these days.
    Same here. For me Tull never got any better than those two albums. I'll have to buy this one I guess (again).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Yay! Collect 'em all!
    Love the pop-up. Feels right at home.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

The cardboard 'popup' was also recreated in the 3-disc reissue from 2010.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Could the Carnegie Hall show now be part of a redoing of benefit to fit the rest of the series?

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

I've always been less than convinced by their 1973-6 work which often seems to get heavy praise on here- I find a lot of it too 'precious' for my personal taste. Anderson likes to do this 'we were actually making fun of concept albums' thing...well if that's the case, he stretched the joke out for several years, and few jokes are that funny.

However, I think Stand Up is one of the best albums they ever made. In the UK it was their highest charting album. Couple that with all the hit singles of that period and they were one of the most popular rock groups at the time. They became big pretty quickly.

I think This Was is also a terrific album, but this is something else entirely.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-05-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I've always been less than convinced by their 1973-6 work which often seems to get heavy praise on here- I find a lot of it too 'precious' for my personal taste. However, I think Stand Up is one of the best albums they ever made. In the UK it was their highest charting album. Couple that with all the hit singles of that period and they were one of the most popular rock groups at the time. They became big pretty quickly.

I think This Was is also a terrific album, but this is something else entirely.

Totally agree... Despite a weaker Benefit (a transition album after two fantastic albums >> yes, I love This Was)), Tull was on top of its game until and included TAAB.

However, Anderson went one too far with APP, and to a lesser extent WC, but was unable correct the balance with MitG (some excellent stuff on it) and Too Old.... They only found a good balance with SFTW and HH afterwards
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Benefit and Stand Up and TAAB are my 3 most favourite tull albums.

Anderson likes to do this 'we were actually making fun of concept albums' thing...well if that's the case, he stretched the joke out for several years, and few jokes are that funny.
    Agreed completely. "Having fun" with concept albums, sure; "making fun" of them? No way. That's IA not wanting to own what he did. If it was a parody, then why do an earnest sequel 40 years later?

I've always been less than convinced by their 1973-6 work which often seems to get heavy praise on here- I find a lot of it too 'precious' for my personal taste.
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by precious?