Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FEATURED CD: The Sea Nymphs - s/t

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Yes, I can see potential for something like this or Spratleys Japs to succeed with someone who finds regular Cardiacs too hyper.
    Even Tim's solo album 'Extra SpecialOceanLandWorld' could be a nice easy pathway compared to the normal Cardiacs end. Lighter and sort of airier.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Absolutely. BTW, Sterbus posted a story on the other Sea Nymphs thread about how they were smuggled into the BBC to do a radio session, which wouldn’t have happened had those in charge known that they were dealing with three Cardiacs members.
    and its super duper! Lillywhite's is awesome on that.

The ONE question i'd like to ask Tim if i saw him would be: are those real cats on Lilly Whites Party or humans making cat noises.

It's lovely stuff that song, feels like being back in the womb.

I played some of this album for someone once and they said it sounded like new age music. Now there's something to get upset about!

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Fair question. Largely it's this: the Cardiacs are/were a great band but their fandom can have the effect of turning people off trying them. Over-praise (to the level of hype) and obscure "in-crowd" references exclude rather than invite. At least that's how it was for me - and over the years I've heard others make similar observations.
    Not necessarily the over praising or even the in-crowd jokes, but I've definitely felt an inner circle smugness from some folks (not you, Frank; you genuinely seem like a good person) in some of the threads I travel in and have posted less and less over the years (though I think I've got three or four posts in this one, so I guess I'm still fairly active). But I do hesitate to post when I think about what someone else might post in response. As a result, PE has become less a community for me and more of a resource.

Not complaining, but Oreb's got a point. Sorry to derail further. And thanks to everyone who does encourage openly and honestly one to explore new music (like Frank and Notallwhowander Ian and the other Ian and I think there's another Ian, too).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Cheers all. Even Chalkpie.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Oreb's got a point.
    Perhaps, but that is irrelevant here.

The title of this thread is “FEATURED CD: The Sea Nymphs - s/t”

Not: “Overpraise: Overrated, underrated or just about right?”

Not: “Cardiacs’ fans: Are they brainwashed cultists? (And is Jim Smith actually Jim Jones?)”

Nor: “To chalkpie, 100deaf et al: Your excessive praise is misguided and harmful for Cardiacs, a band I actually like, but whose music I choose NOT to discuss, despite the thread’s subject.”

Up until post #14, we were discussing the music of the Sea Nymphs. Staring with post #15, the thrust of the discussion was changed. When some people took umbrage at post #15, it was defended as a “dissenting opinion”.

Dissent is valuable in any discourse, but here the putative “dissent” wasn’t germane to the present subject. If the thread’s theme is of no interest, no one is forcing anyone to participate. Perhaps creating a separate thread to debate the “other issue” would be a better alternative.

Sorry to further derail and no offense to Oreb. As you were…
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 08-31-2016 at 04:25 AM.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

back to the music!

Anyone else hears a bit of 'I am the walrus' in 'a thousand strokes" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Cheers all. Even Chalkpie.
    Cheers man. Let's put this petty shit behind us and celebrate this amazing music instead of turning it into a pissing contest. Look, it happens, and I think we are all passionate, and a few bumps on the road shouldn't take the car into the ditch. Do we all argue with our wives sometimes? Why is this any different? Fuck it, life's too short.

Please stick around man and I think you'll find the folks on these threads are some of the nicest, most open-minded on PE (at least in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    back to the music!

I'll report back on those findings, sir. But off the top of me cranium, I never picked up on that.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    back to the music!

Hmmm, I just checked it out and am not making the connection. That doesn't mean that its not there though. Is it the "chorus" part which they all sing in that 'Sea shanty' style or is it another section? Do you have a specific track time? Love that tune so much btw. Are those recorders btw?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Hmmm, I just checked it out and am not making the connection. That doesn't mean that its not there though. Is it the "chorus" part which they all sing in that 'Sea shanty' style or is it another section? Do you have a specific track time? Love that tune so much btw. Are those recorders btw?
    Yesh the Chorus bit. I always get a Walrus vibe there. Might just be some weird malfunction in the dark parts of my brain. I dunno.