Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rick Derringer - Beyond the one hit wonder...

Do you mean Richard Zehringer from the McCoys that did "Hang On Sloopy"?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Another great post from Enid.

The pancake was for a pretty short period, as I'm sure you know. Some of the promo photos of him during those years gave him some regrets. It's my understanding that he yielded to the promoters, so I don't think it was his idea to appear so feminine in some of them. That being said, some photo shoots with the Edgar Winter Group were intentionally made to look like females. I guess it was kinda interesting at the time. But, in retrospect, it was questionable judgment, to say the least. And, granted, his Spring Fever cover didn't help matters:

Rick doesn't get much credit for his songwriting. Genius? No. But, he could come up with some really great songs, "Still Alive and Well," being one example. And he was a prolific producer and session musician. He put out some great blues albums several years ago. Hardly a spec of soul, mind you, but really good playing. And he can play country licks as well as anyone.

Thanks for posting this!

He also played the vicious slide guitar on Steely Dan's Show Biz Kids and the solo on Chain Lightning.

Trivia note - First time I went to see Robin Trower (in Glasgow) John Miles opened for him and his opening song was Rock n Roll Hoochie Koo - great version too.

Always loved Rick's playing. A monster. Labor Day at Sausalito Art Festival: Edgar Winter, Todd Rundgren, The Zombies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk