Thread: Ritchie Blackmore

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    (...) Besides, Blackmore better than Page? Major LOL.
    (...)
    This is not a topic Blackmore Vs Page, this is a topic about that that Blackmore was, back in the day, more progressive guitarist than blues-rock oriented Page. For example - when and where Page was recorded something like Blackmore' solo at Rainbow's Stargazer where he used Phrygian dominant scale?
    Last edited by Svetonio; 08-19-2016 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    This is not a topic Blackmore Vs Page, this is a topic about that that Blackmore was, back in the day, more progressive guitarist than blues-rock oriented Page. For example - when and where Page was recorded something like Blackmore' solo at Rainbow's Stargazer where he used Phrygian dominant scale?
    You need to grow up. No other way to say it. If anything Rainbow or Blackmore's Night EVER did compares favorably to anything Zeppelin did when it was at its height, I will roadie for Ace Frehley.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Pretty funny statement..., reminds me of Junior High school, when we would argue whether Page was better than Tony Iommi.

Pagey used lots of scales/modes in LZ. Ever heard The Rain Song?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Pagey used lots of scales/modes in LZ. Ever heard The Rain Song?
    The story goes that when they were putting Achilles Last Stand together, there was a bit where Page had intended to solo, and John Paul Jones said something like, "There's no scale that will go over that chord sequence you've got", and Page simply told him something like, "Trust me, I've got it planned out". So yeah, he definitely used unconventional scales and such.

The thing I find mind boggling about something like The Rain Song is, it's an unusual guitar tuning (DGCGCD, on the studio version, EADADE on the live version). Now, I wonder if Page had the piece in his head, and developed the tuning to make it playable, or did he come up with the tuning first and noodle around and come up with the piece as we know it.

The Zeppelin tab book that came out in the early 90s with the boxset, gave the tabs to "Rain Song" in standard tuning and was virtually impossible to play. I came up with a similar tuning to the first one you mentioned(strummed open stringed it sounds like the final chord of the song)and I figured out the notes instead of the tabs,and it all fell into place.

I would guess that Page was probably just foolng around with the tuning and slowly developed the music. Beautiful song and very fun to play.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    (...) Ever heard The Rain Song?

I heard The Rain Song live at Knebworth Festival in England, 1979, where John Paul Jones played that Yamaha GX-1 instead of Mellotron. The Rain Song is a great Rock ballad which have nothing to do with Prog. The use of 'tron (or a synth) and a guitar noodling doesn't make - in itself - a song to be prog. For example, The Who's Quadrophenia is full of synths / orchestration like LZ never did but it's not a prog album.
    On other side, Rainbow's Stargazer is a prog metal song that was recorded a lot of years before the genre was established.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 08-20-2016 at 01:24 AM.