Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me catch up on Dream Theater...

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Not sure I understand your point- I was genuinely curious and asking in a spirit of friendly inquiry. If I was in any way offensive I would of course apologise, but I don't see how what I wrote could be construed in that fashion.
    Not sure what your point is either..

You were asked a question and then never answered.

This lead me to believe that our posts chased you away again since my original post is the reason why you stay a way from this site...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by DTFan View Post
    It's weird, the first leg didn't sell great. I was assuming they would quietly put it to rest and move on. Instead, they've doubled down, extended the tour, and seem to be playing smaller places. Business wise I really don't get it. Personally I'm thrilled, it's one of my favorite DT CDs and I can't wait to see it live again. I was able to get (almost) front row tickets weeks into sales though
    I was a little surprised there was a second US leg too since there wasn't one on the previous two tours.

The US first leg though wasn't all that long and I just figured since they have a larger fanbase overseas that's where they would spend most of their time on the road.

Just based on the online feedback it seems a lot of fans are skipping this tour because they don't like the new album and that's all they will be hearing.

I think it's great they are doing that myself even though I'm really let down by the lyrics. I can't pass up the opportunity.

Well, a few stray thoughts after the fact...

*I don't know if the band has changed or I have, but the cheesy moments definitely seemed cheesier than ever. This was obviously meant as a (self-consciously?) pretentious epic opera, so they really went all out with the grand themes and big overtures etc. I sense the hand of Jordan particularly heavily there. It was sort of similar to the way his keyboard is mocked up like a rotating hoverpod; fun in a nerdy way, but somehow annoyingly so for my tastes.

*The high point came when they just dropped the videos, Mike started some catchy 4/4 groove and John P stepped out for a nice straight-ahead wanky solo. The nicest moments overall were the songs that felt like they were just developed to stand alone instead of providing pieces of the story. Again, don't know if that's down to me or them.

*I really wished I could transport my 14-year-old self to see this. The whole epic dystopian sci-fi story is something I would have just eaten up, although even then I probably would have been rolling my eyes at the villain's songs being so obvious and one-dimensional.

*I still enjoyed a lot of things about the vids, like the way they combined futuristic spy drones with samurai swordfights. At the same time I don't get the sense they meant it lightheartedly as a fun pastiche. The CGI faces were always vaguely creepy... probably not quite what they were going for either.

*Now it's perfectly clear what some of you meant about Disney ballads. The slower moments sounded like just the kind of thing my niece would drive her parents crazy singing all the time. I can't even put my finger on what bothered me. I can appreciate a song that manages to be simple, straightforward and pretty while presenting such an honest sentiment. I don't know what makes a particular one feel hackneyed instead, but whatever it is, those ballads have it in spades.

*This was a particular shame because the quieter parts were just about the only times I could understand anything out of James's mouth... and also the only times John M wasn't buried. The rest of the time he might as well have been miming.

Despite those complaints I don't regret going. It didn't leave me wanting to buy their more recent albums or make an effort to get back on board, but it was easy enough to go with it (the crowd was super-enthusiastic) and it was a fun time. It was probably best to go in unprepared after all.
    Last edited by Spiral; 10-10-2016 at 09:23 AM.

My wife and I are attending the DT theater show at the Palace Theater in Lousville. she loves The Astonishing. I like it because I think it's brilliant, in the sense that Disc 2 of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was brilliant. Commercial, mostly radio-friends music in a format that no one who listens to that kind of music would listen to. That's a mad form of genius, imo.

I finally purchased “The Astonishing” and have given it a few listens and really like it for the most part. It is certainly long, and I have not had time to try to absorb what exactly the story is all about, but I think it is a pretty good piece of work from them.

I saw the show in Bethlehem and I really enjoyed it. It was much easier than I thought to ignore the lyrics (since I can never do that) but I really love the music (even better live) and there was a lot going on (Myung being higher in the mix for one!) Thinking about going to NJ PAC for my last shot, but I still need to consider it.

I really like the story too, not so much the words used to tell it.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
      I like it because I think it's brilliant, in the sense that Disc 2 of Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was brilliant. Commercial, mostly radio-friends music in a format that no one who listens to that kind of music would listen to. That's a mad form of genius, imo.
    A disc 2 fan here as well! But I also like half of disc 1.

This thread inspired me to dig out Scenes from a Memory which I haven't listened to in years. It's my personnel favorite from Dream Theater with Images and Words placing a close second. Every Dream Theater CD has its moments, but these two are the best from start to finish IMHO.

Hello all,

I've been a major DT fan for many years and discovered them when they released Images and Words and the continual play on MTV of Pull Me Under. I've liked/loved almost all of their output but started getting more lukewarm with the last couple of Portnoy releases. In hindsight, and after hearing A Dramatic Turn of Events, you could really tell how much he was driving their musical direction. I'm not a fan of cookie monster vocals but he wanted that in some of their tunes towards the end of his tenure. I really think ADToE was a return to form and likely a major focus to show that they wanted to NOT continue his influence. Mangini is, in my opinion, a better drummer and more technically gifted. The tunes on ADToE were already written when he joined so he played what was written. He did contribute to the writing on the self titled release which is also very good (again YMMV). Most recently, The Astonishing was fully written by Petrucci and Rudess and as a concept piece, intended for musical theater, it has shorter tunes and somewhat cheesy lyrical content to tell the story they want. I really expect this to be a broadway play in the future similar to how other major rock bands (Queen and We Will Rock You as an example) have done this. Again, in my opinion, very few bands could pull this off. Stellar playing and probably the best singing ever from LaBrie. Still, a major departure from the prior releases with Mangini and their writing style but purposely done since it is musical theater. I saw The Astonishing live a few months ago and they are touring it again in its entirety. A great show from a band that still sets the bar for progressive rock and metal.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I saw the show in Bethlehem and I really enjoyed it. It was much easier than I thought to ignore the lyrics (since I can never do that) but I really love the music (even better live) and there was a lot going on (Myung being higher in the mix for one!) Thinking about going to NJ PAC for my last shot, but I still need to consider it.

I really like the story too, not so much the words used to tell it.
    I am seeing it next Monday night in Grand Rapids MI. I am hoping for good things.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroProg View Post
    This thread inspired me to dig out Scenes from a Memory which I haven't listened to in years. It's my personnel favorite from Dream Theater with Images and Words placing a close second. Every Dream Theater CD has its moments, but these two are the best from start to finish IMHO.
    Still their all time best IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hewhoknows View Post
    (...) The Astonishing (...) Stellar playing and probably the best singing ever from LaBrie. (...)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am seeing it next Monday night in Grand Rapids MI. I am hoping for good things.
    The show is very unique (for them.) I just really wish more time was spent on the lyrics and a lot of the CGI. They really gave it their all on this one, but I don't think they quite able to pull off exactly how it was envisioned.

I really think this could have been the band's definitive statement, but I don't think the stars quite aligned on this one. I'd love to see them try (something like) this again and get it right but that probably isn't likely to happen.

Attended TA show last night--saw the show twice during first go round including RCMH.NYC.
    Enjoyable in a Disney-esq way with a solid video presentation.

As feared the sheer amount of lyrics and singing seem to be taking a toll on JLB vocals.
    Getting too shouty again. Could have used a few guest singers (female would help)
    if they are going to attempt a pseudo-Broadway show again.

Surprised they decided to not go with a best of (TA) and a mixed set list for this tour.

Only about 2/3 seats were sold in Portland.
    Time to go back to the drawing board &
    for JP to hack off that ridiculous beard. (can his wife REALLY like it ??)

I do consider myself a fan boy since 2003,
    Have seen many of their greatest concerts (SCORE & Boston Opera house included)
    I do respect their attempt to try something different
    But its THAT time again ..

The eons are closing
    IMO....given that MP is gone, JP should ask Kev Moore to write lyrics for the band. Would be a drastic improvement.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    IMO....given that MP is gone, JP should ask Kev Moore to write lyrics for the band. Would be a drastic improvement.
    James could probably do a decent job. Except for Anna Lee, I'm a fan of his lyrics.

The eons are closing
    The DT 'rule' (or it used to be) was that if you wrote the words, then you needed to bring the vocal melody too.

That's where, IMO, Kev really shone with the band. He made Labrie cool. PMU, 6:00, Surrounded, SDV, Lie...top performances...JLB was set up for success.

But more lyrics from James or JM would be better too.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit