Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Jordi Sabatés - Ocells del Mes Enlla

FEATURED CD: Jordi Sabatés - Ocells del Mes Enlla

Today's feature is the 1975 release from Jordi Sabatés titled "Ocells del Mes Enlla", which features one of the tastiest (nearly) side long tracks from the 70s. This should be right up your alley if you're fans of Finch, Focus, Pekka, Camel, etc. and where those intersect with jazz and jazz-fusion from the 70s like RTF, Weather Report, and some of the CTI work.

Review from RYM:
    Born in 1948 in Barcelona, keyboardist Jordi Sabates begun his career with the Pop group Pic-Nic, where he first met Toti Soler, before performing a Jazz-Rock style both with Jarka and Om in early-70's.From mid-70's he released several albums under his name, the first one ''El Senyor dels Anells'' (1974) being in a jazzier style, while in his second one ''Ocells del Més Enllà'' (1975) he adds a more progressive feeling to his sound.The album was released in 1975, originally on the Catalan Zeleste label.

A great group of musicians support Sabates' inventive moog synth and electric piano lines, such as his alter ego guitarist Toti Soler, Om's bassist Manolo Elias, Jarka's guitarist Ricky Sabates, Orquestra Mirasol's Chilean percussionist Gustavo "Krupa" Quinteros, drummer Iván Bargas and female Brazilian singer Erica Norimar.The opening side is dedicated to the 15-min. three part eponymous epic, which sounds like a cross between Flamenco, light Progressive Rock and Latin-Fusion with strong RETURN TO FOREVER hints.It is filled with Sabates' performance on ethereal electric piano and intense moog synths, dramatic electric guitars, Flamenco-styled themes and Norimar's wordless vocal lines, reminiscent of Flora Purim's work with RETURN TO FOREVER.The second side consists of shorter tracks in the same style with ''Tryada'' being the highlight.Quasi-improvised intense Latin-spiced Jazz/Fusion with beautiful Flamenco guitars and careful electric piano passages but also some great electric sounds.The rest of the tracks are also quite nice with both atmospheric and more virtuosic passages, light interplays and a fair amount of instrumental solos.

Balanced Jazz-Rock/Fusion with a touch of Progressive Rock.Anyone deep into the style of RETURN TO FOREVER or WEATHER REPORT should be a proud owner of this album, which has seen also some CD reissues.Warmly recommended. - apps79

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Fun one! I need to break this out again...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Whooooleyyyy shit!!

this is heavyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

This one has escaped my radar... I'll be checking out tonight to see if Asbjornssen mentions it in his Scented Garden From The Minds book.

And I'm going to have to suggest this to ProgArchives too, cos they don't know it either.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I just found this in a more or less similar flamenco-light JR/F, dating from 70, but would've been recorded in 66 (which would be really amazing, given the recording quality).

With Joe Beck and some kind of Tony Levin (the same that we know?)

Last edited by Trane; 08-03-2016 at 08:07 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great album. AFAIK the only 'prog' one though.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Feels like ages since I played this. Time to pick it down from the shelf. Remember it as pretty good.

Sent from my phone

It's an excellent album and one of my faves from the spanish progressive scene.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I've not heard this, but I like the description so I'll definitely check it out.

Excellent Album!.
    An underrated and essential one of that period IMO!.

Some call Jordi Sabatès the "spanish Chick Corea"! ... go figure!.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I just found this in a more or less similar flamenco-light JR/F, dating from 70, but would've been recorded in 66 (which would be really amazing, given the recording quality).

A very young Tony Levin ... yes!!.
    Last edited by TCC; 08-03-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

This is one of the first "experiments" between Flamenco and rock/blues: definitely, years later, it became one of the first steps of the Rock Andaluz.
    "Rock Encounter" was ahead of his time and I consider it as a precursor (pillar) as "La Leyenda del Tiempo" (1979) by Camarón de la Isla or "El Patio" (1975) by Triana as many other great efforts of that period of time (1966-1979).
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Absolutely love this one, and it ranks up there with the best from Spain. It also gives you a taste of the regional differences in Spain - the Catalan bands tended to gravitate towards Jazz-Rock, often with mediterranean Folk or Latin elements (with the notable exceptions of Fusioon and Atila).

Recorded in 1966 !
    Great find !

My own notes that I penned from a fresh listen last year: "Ocells Del Més Enllà is a Flamenco fusion style of progressive rock, with namesake Jordi Sabates on keyboards (Rhodes, Moog, organ, and piano) and Toti Soler on acoustic guitar (often playing in the traditional Flamenco way). The 7 piece band is fleshed out with electric guitar, bass, vocals, hand percussion, and drums. Some of the music reminds me of the slower/mellower tracks from the early Mahavishnu Orchestra albums but with a distinctive Spanish flavor (including the familiar hand claps). Wonderful female wordless voices augment this fine recording. Highly recommended."

a solid album
    not spectacular, but solid enough to listen to every once and a while and enjoy
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I just found this in a more or less similar flamenco-light JR/F, dating from 70, but would've been recorded in 66
    where did you get that from?

that one aint from 66... but it's still amazingly progressive even in 1970
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    where did you get that from?

that one aint from 66... but it's still amazingly progressive even in 1970
    Yeah, I know it sounds too good for being from 66.

I just discovered it while listening to more of the Sabates album on YT

Sabicas with Joe Beck: It says that it was recorded in 66, but released in 70.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabicas#Discography

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Sabicas with Joe Beck: It says that it was recorded in 66, but released in 70.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabicas#Discography
    that would be before any other Rock album mixed with Classical or Jazz
    before Space Rock
    before Jazz Rock
    before Symph Rock

difficult to believe

Perhaps the websites are just quoting each other, but its recorded at Mira Sound Recording Studios New York, and Sabicas apparently returned to Spain in 1967.

http://thelakeband.blogspot.dk/2014/...encounter.html
    http://60-70rock.blogspot.dk/2015/08...encounter.html

Would like to see a photo of the original LP cover

Never heard, but I love that title (“Birds from Beyond”).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

"Tot l'enyor de demà" from 76 is also recommended

Also, Tete Montoliu & Jordi Sabates - Vampyria (74) is considered by catalan newsletter Jaç as the best catalan jazz album.

http://www.enderrock.cat/quiosc/exemplar/44

Thanks to this thread, I re-spun this, excellent disc, like a stew of Flora Purim era Return to Forever doing Soft Machine songs with an occasional organ solo from Manfred Mann.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    Thanks to this thread, I re-spun this, excellent disc, like a stew of Flora Purim era Return to Forever doing Soft Machine songs with an occasional organ solo from Manfred Mann.
    Nice description!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by raconteur troubadour View Post
    Yeah, that's about right!

I got this through a trade here at PE around 12 years ago.

It piqued my interest through a thread statted by *big surprise* ....., - Cozy!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by ozric75 View Post
    "Tot l'enyor de demà" from 76 is also recommended

Also, Tete Montoliu & Jordi Sabates - Vampyria (74) is considered by catalan newsletter Jaç as the best catalan jazz album.

http://www.enderrock.cat/quiosc/exemplar/44

Agree!:
    Best of the best IMO too:
    " Vampyria".

Excellent selections BTW!
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.