Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch "Opeth - Sorceress" 1st listen

Watch "Opeth - Sorceress" 1st listen

https://youtu.be/mUM2CWGpyos

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting that song. LOVE the ending!

Already taken down.

Great band! thx
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

That wasn't good...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Okay...only one listen to the new track thus far. It appeals to me much, much more than anything off either Pale Communion or (especially) Heritage. The intro is a bit cheeseball IMHO, but once the main tune starts...holy crap, he found his distortion pedals after all!!

I'm encouraged. Looking forward to the rest of the album.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Okay...only one listen to the new track thus far. It appeals to me much, much more than anything off either Pale Communion or (especially) Heritage. The intro is a bit cheeseball IMHO, but once the main tune starts...holy crap, he found his distortion pedals after all!!

I'm encouraged. Looking forward to the rest of the album.
    I do dig the tune, but the mastering (and some extent) the mix seems a bit weird, no? The snare drum has a 'muffled' presence to it - I prefer a sharper, more direct 'snap'. It seems like he is going for some 70's vinyl type of vibe, which is cool. I dunno, I'm sure it will grow on me, this is just a first observation.

ps - Love the Museo Rosenbach T-shirt - ha! He is such a full-fledged prog nerd - he is one of us!

pps - Not to beat a dead-horse, but those early Beardfish albums really capture a 70's analog vibe really well. Yeah, I'm such a fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I do dig the tune, but the mastering (and some extent) the mix seems a bit weird, no? The snare drum has a 'muffled' presence to it - I prefer a sharper, more direct 'snap'. It seems like he is going for some 70's vinyl type of vibe, which is cool. I dunno, I'm sure it will grow on me, this is just a first observation.

ps - Love the Museo Rosenbach T-shirt - ha! He is such a full-fledged prog nerd - he is one of us!

pps - Not to beat a dead-horse, but those early Beardfish albums really capture a 70's analog vibe really well. Yeah, I'm such a fanboy.
    I had just written off the sound quality to it being a web clip

Interesting that he referenced Il Paese dei Balocchi as well...there are several old Italian prog bands I'd probably associate with Opeth, but that wasn't one of them. Maybe it's just me.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I had just written off the sound quality to it being a web clip

Interesting that he referenced Il Paese dei Balocchi as well...there are several old Italian prog bands I'd probably associate with Opeth, but that wasn't one of them. Maybe it's just me.
    I think my two favorite sounding Opeth albums are still Damnation and Ghost Reveries. Damnation captures that vintage vibe so well, and the drums sound big and beefy, the (fake) tron sounds good, and the guitars really good - you can really pick up on the amp reverb, etc. Bass sounds good, too. GR just kicks ass in every way - its polished but such a rich, dynamic sound that really makes the ferociousness of the tunes 'pop'. Or I could be wrong.

And yeah, you're correct about the Il Paese correlation.

As far as the production, its probably close to what we are going to get. It has a different vibe for sure.

I think my two favorite sounding Opeth albums are still Damnation and Ghost Reveries. Damnation captures that vintage vibe so well, and the drums sound big and beefy, the (fake) tron sounds good, and the guitars really good - you can really pick up on the amp reverb, etc. Bass sounds good, too. GR just kicks ass in every way - its polished but such a rich, dynamic sound that really makes the ferociousness of the tunes 'pop'. Or I could be wrong.

And yeah, you're correct about the Il Paese correlation.

As far as the production, its probably close to what we are going to get. It has a different vibe for sure.
    I'm all kinds of with you on Ghost Reveries...easily the high watermark for the band IMHO. I do really like Damnation as well, but it doesn't often get played these days. Anytime I get the itch for that sound, I end up grabbing Landberk instead

I'm all kinds of with you on Ghost Reveries...easily the high watermark for the band IMHO. I do really like Damnation as well, but it doesn't often get played these days. Anytime I get the itch for that sound, I end up grabbing Landberk instead
    Besides the 1st album, what other Landberk albums do you dig?

Actually, I only have one: Indian Summer. I'd love to hear the others, and always perk up whenever rumors surface that those albums might be reissued. But that one, I like lots

I'm also of the opinion that Ghost Reveries was the apex of their discography thus far.
    I've played the new song for a couple of people that aren't familiar with Opeth and they
    seemed to like it quite a bit. I think it's pretty decent myself, which is good because I pre-ordered the box set.

Actually, I only have one: Indian Summer. I'd love to hear the others, and always perk up whenever rumors surface that those albums might be reissued. But that one, I like lots
    I hope that they are reissued too as I don't own any of them but have liked what I've heard on the 'tube.

I've not heard them before. Another RPI band for me to check out.

Box set? Oh snap, you're getting quills!! METAL PEACOCK APPROVES

I went for the 2CD edition myself. Not nearly as hardcore/metal, but efficient!

Il Paese is actually one that I don't often break out...it's very classical music oriented to my ears. Good, but not as exciting as other stuff like Museo, PFM, Banco, Area, Il Balletto, etc...

At first listen, meh, the intro threw me off it, I'll have to give it more time.
    Regardless, I'm IN, seeing them in October at Radio City.

I often feel that Opeth songs have a weird structure, something like the Frankenstein syndrome if you like. In this particular example, I don't see how the intro and outro are related in any way to the main body of the track.

Listening to the Il Paese dei Balocchi album right now. Pretty interesting. I can see what you mean about not seeing an associated sound with Opeth though, John.

IMO One Man Tell's Another is amazing, though that's when I discovered them. It might be a bit too commercial or U2-ish for some. TBH I was a bit let down by Indian Summer.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

As someone who initially really liked the direction of the band with Heritage and Pale Communion, I'm kinda hoping they don't continue this retro prog foray much longer. It was a nice change of pace for an album or two (ala Steven Wilson) but nowadays I find myself rarely reaching for Heritage and Pale Communion and instead going for albums like Still Life or Blackwater Park when I want my Opeth fix.

As for this song, I wouldn't worry too much about the sound quality of the stream. Mikael likes the old vinyl sound way too much to let this song sound so muddy and crushed dynamically. I'm laughing at people here who think muddy and clogged sounding means it sounds like vinyl. To me vinyl (at least old vinyl) sounds more open and airy, but I guess sonic warmth = muddy to some people. The song itself is just alright, but I'll give it some more listens before I freak out and send the band death threats via Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I often feel that Opeth songs have a weird structure, something like the Frankenstein syndrome if you like. In this particular example, I don't see how the intro and outro are related in any way to the main body of the track.
    This kind of fragmented structure is always a danger with prog. It's a real challenge to craft a song that's both structurally sound and at once, surprising. That's why many prog artists indulge in a lot of technical playing--it's one way to introduce surprising elements without necessarily losing sight of the song's overarching shape. Like you, my disappointment with this song stems mainly from a lack of complementary dynamics. As you noted, the pieces don't seem to fit together in an organic way. There are a few recurring musical figures/motifs but they're either too few, too far apart, or obscured (inverted, chopped or otherwise) to make for a satisfying whole--at least on first listen. It's possible repeated exposures will reveal some hidden synchronicities.

From the Rolling Stone interview in post #5:
    Wil Malone was also involved when three producers did a record called Motherlight, which came out in 1970, I think, which is insane – you have to check it out. Mike Boback, another producer, is playing this guitar solo, and it's completely out of key – I've never heard anything more out of key – which is, to me, beautiful.

I found the album on Youtube. Nice psych record...

Sorceress sounds pretty cool, i agree with Chalkpie, not really digging that muffled snare, i like them a little crispier than that.
    I would love to hear them go back to their death metal roots for a full album.