Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who Likes John Mellencamp?

Banned

Who Likes John Mellencamp?

For years I stayed away from "Heartland Rock". Can't remember why I did now. Inspired by the epicness of early Springsteen, I decided to give this style of music a try. First Springsteen, then Seeger, and now John Mellencamp. Picked up cheap copies of American Fool and Scarecrow many years ago at Barnes & Noble. I guess that little ditty about Jack and Diane got to me. Tonight I picked up two more Mellencamp titles for $5 each at Wal-Mart:The Lonesome Jubilee and Human Wheels. Making my way through The Lonesome Jubilee now; it's good Celtic-folk-country-roots rock. Any Mellencamp fans?

I like him in the 80s. He was always my favorite of all the Heartland Rock acts. Could never stand Springsteen, and Tom Petty was okay but I was never crazy about him either. I like Bob Seger though. I've never bought a Mellencamp album but I did buy a 45rpm of one of his 80s hits. I think the title of the song was "Check It Out" or something. Great song. I remember the song had an accordion and it sounded great in that context.

Mellencamp and Seger fall into that "I won't turn off the radio when they come on but don't feel the need to buy any of their stuff" category.

Not a fan of the rest of that "Heartland" stuff.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

meimjustalawnmower
    Scarecrow was a masterpiece, especially this song...

My favorite "Heartland" is prolly this guy, tho...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Who? Oh, you mean John Cougar...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Who? Oh, you mean John Cougar...
    Yes. What do you think of his music?

Mellencamp won my over when I saw him open for Heart on the “Passionworks” tour in 198?. Mellencamp and his band had played a big stadium festival in Florida in the afternoon. They flew straight from the festival to Michigan, but their plane got delayed. The concert was supposed to start at 8PM. At ShowTime a guy came on the stage and said Mellencamp was on his way, but not quite there yet so they were going to delay the start of the show until he got there. About 8:20PM, with the house lights on in the arena, here came Mellencamp and his band walking onstage. They waved to the crowd and plugged all their gear in. A few minutes later the house lights went down and they came on stage (no sound check) and totally kicked ass for an hour. I mean, they had the whole arena up on their feet from the start. When the headliners Heart came out, they were never able to match that energy. Mellencamp won me over that night and I have been a fan ever since. I think “Scarecrow” is probably his best studio album, but I also have a lot of love for probably his darkest album “Mr. Happy Go Lucky” which is also great. I was not a big fan of Mellencamp’s early stuff, but he certainly matured and got better over the years.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mellencamp won my over when I saw him open for Heart on the “Passionworks” tour in 198?. Mellencamp and his band had played a big stadium festival in Florida in the afternoon. They flew straight from the festival to Michigan, but their plane got delayed. The concert was supposed to start at 8PM. At ShowTime a guy came on the stage and said Mellencamp was on his way, but not quite there yet so they were going to delay the start of the show until he got there. About 8:20PM, with the house lights on in the arena, here came Mellencamp and his band walking onstage. They waved to the crowd and plugged all their gear in. A few minutes later the house lights went down and they came on stage (no sound check) and totally kicked ass for an hour. I mean, they had the whole arena up on their feet from the start. When the headliners Heart came out, they were never able to match that energy. Mellencamp won me over that night and I have been a fan ever since. I think “Scarecrow” is probably his best studio album, but I also have a lot of love for probably his darkest album “Mr. Happy Go Lucky” which is also great. I was not a big fan of Mellencamp’s early stuff, but he certainly matured and got better over the years.

Steve Sly
    Passionworks come out in '83.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Well, there ya go.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Well, there ya go.
    I was helping Steve out.

Banned
    I just got done with The Lonesome Jubilee. It has a Celtic-folk-country-rock vibe that reminds me of Cooperhead Road by Steve Earle. I like it!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I like him in the 80s. He was always my favorite of all the Heartland Rock acts. Could never stand Springsteen, and Tom Petty was okay but I was never crazy about him either. I like Bob Seger though. I've never bought a Mellencamp album but I did buy a 45rpm of one of his 80s hits. I think the title of the song was "Check It Out" or something. Great song. I remember the song had an accordion and it sounded great in that context.
    Yes, that's the song. It's on The Lonesome Jubilee.

John Cougar Mellencamp is one of my guilty pleasures! I actually discovered his music in a health food store in 1982 when the owner was playing his version of "I Need A Lover". I thought it sounded better than Pat Benatar's version. I hung out for awhile to hear more of his songs. A few months later, I had moved to Memphis, Tennessee and "Jack and Diane" was all over the radio, and it was full steam ahead on enjoying his "down home but not corny" music. I called it "Storyteller's Music". I didn't realize it was called "Heartland". I don't care for Springsteen at all!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

meimjustalawnmower
    I was helping Steve out.
    Yeah, I know, but the guy posted a really good story about his experience, and instead of responding in kind, you decided to correct him on some silly little detail that really has nothing to do with anything.

Not me!!

Banned
    Yeah, I know, but the guy posted a really good story about his experience, and instead of responding in kind, you decided to correct him on some silly little detail that really has nothing to do with anything.
    If he has a problem with it, then let him, respond. I was just trying to help him out. You, however, are a troll on every thread you post on. Let people fight their own battles.
    Last edited by JIF; 01-21-2013 at 09:02 PM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yes. What do you think of his music?
    Oh, I haven't heard him since the early days of MTV, when they played that Jack and Diane song over and over. I kind of lost track of him when he changed his name.

meimjustalawnmower
    If he has a problem with it, then let him, respond. I was just trying to help me out. You, however, are a troll on every thread you post on. Let people fight their own battles.
    You're full of shit, man. You constantly start threads called "Who likes so and so" as if you even give a shit what anyone thinks, but you don't really, because all you seem to want to do is to be a cop. You just wanna control something, anything. YOU can't even stop yourself from being a fuckin' troll on your own threads.

I was just trying to help me out.
    Yes, I know.

Banned
    You're full of shit, man. You constantly start threads called "Who likes so and so" as if you even give a shit what anyone thinks, but you don't really, because all you seem to want to do is to be a cop. You just wanna control something, anything. YOU can't even stop yourself from being a fuckin' troll on your own threads.

Yes, I know.
    Hey, you the one that decided to comment on something that had nothing to do with you. All I see is negativity from you on every thread you post. Remember, you started this. Did I say anything negative or mean on this thread or criticize anybody on this thread? The boss already spoke to me. I don't need you butting in.

Jeezuz mang. Thanks guys, I needed a good chortle.

Banned
    You mean Bruce Springsteen came to you in a dream?

Mind your manners, boy.
    I meant The Boss of PE.

meimjustalawnmower
    I meant The Boss of PE.
    No way? Really?

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I knew it was the early 80's, but could not remember the exact year. Mellencamp was just starting to really hit it big and Heart was in the middle of a commercial slide (although I thought the "Passionworks" album was pretty decent).

Steve Sly

If he has a problem with it, then let him, respond. I was just trying to help him out. You, however, are a troll on every thread you post on. Let people fight their own battles.
    Guys.....it's really no big deal. No offence taken.

Steve Sly