Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jay Schellen to step in for Alan White for Yes on USA tour

When the band abandoned Jon Anderson after his health problems I still went to see them. Never thought they were as good without him. But after Chris death that was it for me. No original members left and no longer felt like the Yes I had followed for 40+ years. To me they have morphed into a tribute band, but that is only a personal opinion, and if people want to still go and see them I won't criticise them.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Hopefully it was Alan's back problems that made his performance come off so weak when I saw them 2 years ago. And even more hopefully, he'll be able to bash the skins again soon. I honestly have little interest in the current Yes, but the man gave a lot to the band and never seems to have a bad word to say about anybody. Get well Alan!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you mean that Alan White should never have played drums for Yes - that when Bruford left they should have called it quits?
    There's certainly a good argument that they would've maximized their legacy by splitting up after Close to the Edge.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    There's certainly a good argument that they would've maximized their legacy by splitting up after Close to the Edge.
    Maximized their legacy by splitting after CTTE: maybe

Fallen down a rabbit hole of obscurity by splitting after CTTE: Almost a 100% certainty.

Most of us got into YES well after CTTE was released. (It was Yessongs that got me hooked but I didn't get into YES until '75) if the were no: TFTO, Relayer & G4t1, I'm very certain that YES' 3 important albums (TYA, Fragile & CTTE) (with only Roundabout & All good people to serve as anything close to radio viability) most casual Rock fans would have surely moved on once these 2 songs left the FM-radio heavy rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by pete284 View Post
    When the band abandoned Jon Anderson after his health problems I still went to see them. Never thought they were as good without him. But after Chris death that was it for me. No original members left and no longer felt like the Yes I had followed for 40+ years. To me they have morphed into a tribute band, but that is only a personal opinion, and if people want to still go and see them I won't criticise them.
    That's more or less where I stand, except for seeing them as a tribute band. With the exception of Davison, these guys have all been in the Yes universe for quite some time now, playing with other members and such. To me it's just a natural progression of things. I'd rather see the music live on, even if it's not with the original members.

All that being said, my desire to see them again died along with Chris. I wish them well, but I've never been a Steve Howe fan, and the rest I'm ambivalent about.

Should be interesting to see how the drumming sounds with Jay. A few have commented on the tempos. It's always been my contention that it's Steve, not Alan, dragging down the tempos. I guess we'll soon see.

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    It seems that the corporate entity known as Yes expects that the value of seeing Davison, Sherwood, Downes, Schellen & Howe is about the same as seeing Squire, White, et al.
    I don't think they do. They're not stupid. But they do know that something, even with the exact same line-up and set list, with the "Yes" name on it will see much better than any other name, say the Steve Howe Band.

Steve Hackett's ticket sales shot up when he just labelled a tour "Genesis Revisited". As long as these names go on attracting punters, we shouldn't be surprised that they persist.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pete284 View Post
    Last time I saw Yes, I saw Howe, White, Downes and Horn perform "Tempus Fugit". I find it hard to refer to that as a tribute band.

Of course, I also saw Downes playing "Cans & Brahms", so...

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^You make that comparison with Hackett regularly, it's still not convincing. There is no prefix with this 'Yes' line-up.
    Hackett doesn't have the rights to the Genesis name: but using the name in so far as he could still got him lots more bums on seats. Yes do have the rights to the name, obviously. And that name sells even more tickets. Emerson talked about how every time he tried to do something, the suits would say, "Yeah, it's good, but why don't you get Lake and Palmer to play on it?"

The reason why many bands never die is because there's much more money in playing under the band name than in using another name. That's, ultimately, driven by our behaviour, the fans, the people buying the tickets.

What of this does not convince you?

Henry
    Last edited by bondegezou; 07-20-2016 at 06:53 PM.

I think maybe if/when Alan does come back, why not add a second Drummer to handle the more demanding parts on a permanent touring basis? Worked for Genesis, Floyd, Moody Blues, etc...

Does Jon Anderson really want to be back in Yes? From ARW's point of view, isn't Yes a "tribute" band?
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Does Jon Anderson really want to be back in Yes? From ARW's point of view, isn't Yes a "tribute" band?
    Whatever puts more butts in seats and more $$ in his pocket. And I have a feeling he feels a strong sense of ownership of the name, and that he has every right -- more than Steve, even -- to be in a band with that name.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Yeah, if ARW could call themselves "Yes", I'm sure they would.

I'd also be willing to bet that if Steve were somehow to invite Jon to join the current Yes lineup, he'd suddenly be all, "This is how I've always seen the next evolution of Yes, me and my old buddy Steve and stellar musicians like Geoff, Billy, and Jay and this excellent young harmony singer Jonny D! Wheee, peeps!"

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Oddly enough, since Squire's passing the tempos are back where they're supposed to be. With Schellen replacing White, I fully expect this trend to continue. And that was the biggest problem with YES over the last decade or two - the half-speed versions of the songs were just awful. Saw them last summer in Dayton and they were quite good. I'll be seeing them in seven days in Columbus and am actually pretty psyched about it. As much as I love Mr White, his better days are behind him at the drum kit.

Love live YES.
    Dude, I'm from Dayton. Where did that play, Fraze?

Anyway, glad folks are still seeing them. I guess if it wasn't such a hassle I'd go too. Bet the new drummer will be great. Also, I'd definitely like to see the Drama stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Dude, I'm from Dayton. Where did that play, Fraze?

Anyway, glad folks are still seeing them. I guess if it wasn't such a hassle I'd go too. Bet the new drummer will be great. Also, I'd definitely like to see the Drama stuff.
    They played at the new Rose Music Center with Toto last August. It was a terrific show. YES was great that night playing their sixth show ever without Chris Squire. No mistakes and the tempos were spot on. Davison did a superb job and even old Alan was feeling it. Did the meet and greet afterwards and they were all very nice - especially Geoff.

The entire experience really shocked me and reaffirmed my eternal love for the band. I don't care if they're merely a "tribute" band now or whatever, they're still a really good band. Regardless.

Ohio State Fair in six days!!! High the memory!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

The reason why many bands never die is because there's much more money in playing under the band name than in using another name. That's, ultimately, driven by our behaviour, the fans, the people buying the tickets.

What of this does not convince you?

Henry
    Just because you "play" under a bands name does not in any way legitimize what you are doing.. Where I'm with you Henry is the buying public will speak.. as long as people keep going to see the band and support them buy buying their music / merchandise.. who am I to pass judgment..

During the Sin tour, Alan sat there, signed every single one of my Yes album covers including his own, talked to me all the way through and had a smile on his face. And every signing he did is legible. I have "some regard", for Mr. White.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Dunno. I saw Alan W. play quite a few shows with a broken (?) ankle. The guy is normally a trooper for Rock n Roll. So, if he needs to sit one out, after 40 plus years, I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, and wish him a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    During the Sin tour, Alan sat there, signed every single one of my Yes album covers including his own, talked to me all the way through and had a smile on his face. And every signing he did is legible. I have "some regard", for Mr. White.
    Yep, thanks for that. A gentleman is exactly that. (y)

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Just because you "play" under a bands name does not in any way legitimize what you are doing..
    It depends what you mean by "legitimize".

That Yes play under the "Yes" name, or Gong play under the "Gong" name or King Crimson play under the "King Crimson" name, perhaps does not legitimise what they are doing. Rather, it demonstrates that what they are doing is legitimate -- in the sense of something that conforms to the law. Current contractual agreements and laws on names say they can use that name. If someone else felt that wasn't the case, they could sue. As per the Wishbone Ash case, if you continue using a name for many years and no-one sues, that is taken to add weight to your claim to the name.

However, it is very clear that fans' perceptions of what is "legitimate" differs from that of the courts. The law says that it is legitimate to sell a band name to a previously unconnected group of musicians. Most fans would see that as illegitimate: for us, band names are not merely a property, but are inextricably bound to a legacy, which generally means to particular individuals.

Thus, we have a disconnect between what is legitimate=legal and what is legitimate=feels right. This ensures an endless stream of what some consider "zombie" bands, bands continuing on with a name past the time some or most fans feel is appropriate. And yet, at the same time, us fans remain captivated by the names, driving the economic forces that keep the band names in use.

Henry

some would point to the Little River Band as an example!

About Little River Band - it is funny that you mention them because I received a call from their manager recently regarding certain IP rights. The band always had an influx and outflow of members. Some of the original members sold their rights to another member, who, although, wasn't original, has been in the band since 1979 or so, and wrote several of their hit songs. Certain bands can get away with that because they are faceless. Can anyone name a member of the LRB?

Isn't King Crimson whatever Fripp says is King Crimson?

^^^ good example. the Americanized version of the band has no original members but still tours.
    not only do they own the LRB name, the original members are not allowed to use it and can't release any music under it.
    now the current singer/bassist Wayne Nelson has been in the band for over 35 years.
    the guitarist Steve Howsden- who actually owns the rights to the name has retired after being in the band since 1981.
    the band still uses the original recordings to promote their shows- something i think is wrong.
    ok, a band needs to make a living and there's people out there who go to the shows......
    i can't get past the fact your paying to see a band who's just a shadow of itself- pretty much it's own cover band.
    but it goes on...... i guess if they can entertain their fans- who keep coming back- more power to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post

Isn't King Crimson whatever Fripp says is King Crimson?
    Yeah but Fripp was an original member.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Yeah but Fripp was an original member.
    But that's not why King Crimson is whatever Fripp says it it.

Henry

There would be no Crimson without Fripp.

Would there be any Yes without Howe?

There already has been, hasn't there?
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."