Thread: Ticketmaster settlement, why did I not know more about this?

Ticketmaster settlement, why did I not know more about this?

I saw some chatter on FB about "free tickets" from Ticketmaster.
    There was some sort of legal class action. If you bought tickets through TM from 1999 through 2010 or 12 or something you were entitled to ticket vouchers and/or discount codes.
    I took a look in my TM account under Active Vouchers, and sure enough 17 pairs of "free tickets" and an equal number of discount codes all good till 2020.
    The "free " tickets don't apply to all shows and venues, there is a link in the vouchers to a livenation site with show listings all over.
    I get the impression from the FB chatter that there are a limited number of vouchers available for a show, so they can "sell out".

I would bet that my ticket total would be far outdone by some of the folks here, but I thought it was sort of interesting.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Well, how 'bout that. I have some of those, too.

I didn't expect to just have them given to us. Usually you have to jump through hoops to get the $2.16 you're owed from a class action lawsuit.

Thanks, Mark!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I get the impression from the FB chatter that there are a limited number of vouchers available for a show, so they can "sell out".
    Indeed. Every event in the Philadelphia area (hundreds of events, mind you) is "sold out."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I think they are trying to deny me mine...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I got lots. And as soon as I develop an interest in Bon Jovi Tribute bands or one of the other "applicable" shows, I'm pretty sure I'll cash in them vouchers
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I received a bunch of them as well. I would appreciate it if everyone can share their experiences pursuing these ticket discounts and outright free tickets.

Library Jon

I got a rock.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Vouchers, vouchers everywhere, but never a show to see!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I heard the vouchers are for shows Really far away from you and/or shit you don't wanna see. Like, Joey Fatone ex-N'sync & Puppet show.

Even if it *were* stuff I wanted to see, (& I've spent *plenty* on shows between 1999 & 2013), my problem is the email address I used during those years is long deactivated.
    I got nuttin. (though they must have my name & info in their system)

I tried to redeem 5 different vouchers for Black Sabbath. It's the only show that I am even remotely interested in and naturally I was denied 5 times. Just more unscrupulous practices by ticketbastard.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Apparently any of those vouchers is good for a red-hot poker up the _ss. As usual, Ticket Bastard is generous in supplying those.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    can't wait to get my vouchers to go see the Katrina and the Waves tribute band!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I was thinking that this whole situation was getting forgotten. Has anyone anything to add to the conversation since the last post?

Library Jon

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ticketmaster has the poker red-hot when you're ready.

I was able to use one of the service fee vouchers, all of $2.50 last week.
    Beats a red hot poker anywhere, anytime.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I got lots. And as soon as I develop an interest in Bon Jovi Tribute bands or one of the other "applicable" shows, I'm pretty sure I'll cash in them vouchers
    Maybe this will pique your interest, he has a bunch of vouchers also:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

As per an email today, a slew of new events will be eligible for free concerts with your vouchers.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I saw some chatter on FB about "free tickets" from Ticketmaster.
    There was some sort of legal class action. If you bought tickets through TM from 1999 through 2010 or 12 or something you were entitled to ticket vouchers and/or discount codes.
    I took a look in my TM account under Active Vouchers, and sure enough 17 pairs of "free tickets" and an equal number of discount codes all good till 2020.
    The "free " tickets don't apply to all shows and venues, there is a link in the vouchers to a livenation site with show listings all over.

I would bet that my ticket total would be far outdone by some of the folks here, but I thought it was sort of interesting.
    I've been ignoring those emails from Ticketbastard and Jive Nation for years now.

http://settlement.livenation.com/

** Ticket voucher redemption is complete for 2017. Any unused vouchers will remain in your account. **

I used one of mine for this Saturdays Yestival in N.J.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973