Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Peter Gabriel tune "I'm Amazing"

New Peter Gabriel tune "I'm Amazing"

Does the music live up to the title???

What does this remind you of from his previous works?

Nice.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

New music is fine. I just wish he and Jon Anderson would bury the hatchet and reform Pink Floyd properly, so they could go out and perform their classic material like Red in its entirety...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does he have a new album coming out, or is this from Babe 3 or something?

The right title should be I'm Annoying.
    I only tolerated the first 3 minutes or so...

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    The right title should be I'm Annoying.
    I only tolerated the first 3 minutes or so...

Based on only one listen...

Very overproduced- the song (which already seems a little structurally vague, to me, although subsequent plays may reveal more) is buried beneath all that sonic layering. Don't like the ending at all.

In terms of Sean's question, it's in Us/Up mode...a bit like 'Darkness' meets 'Love To Be Loved'.

But good to get something new from Peter Gabriel anyway, hopefully this heralds a new album!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Based on only one listen...

Very overproduced- the song (which already seems a little structurally vague, to me, although subsequent plays may reveal more) is buried beneath all that sonic layering. Don't like the ending at all.

In terms of Sean's question, it's in Us/Up mode...a bit like 'Darkness' meets 'Love To Be Loved'.

But good to get something new from Peter Gabriel anyway, hopefully this heralds a new album!
    My thoughts as well. The percussion sounds programmed, which it probably is. I think a better mix of organic and electronic elements would bring more life into it.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

This was made a few years ago. And it does sound a lot like the Up album. Agree on the beat sounds - they are not perfect.

No, not impressed.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    This was made a few years ago.
    But tweaked right up until yesterday!

Tough crowd...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Tough crowd...
    It's the internet. If you're not gonna find fault with something, why log on at all?

Listening to it now for a second time after a few hours after the first listening. I'm liking it better this time. Maybe it will grow on me some more, but it has a long way to go for me to be really drawn to it.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    New music is fine. I just wish he and Jon Anderson would bury the hatchet and reform Pink Floyd properly, so they could go out and perform their classic material like Red in its entirety...
    Fingers crossed.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

As I've said before, I wasn't aware this site was called 'Gushing Fanboys-Only Ears'. I called it as I saw it, without making personal attacks or anything.

In this day and age the world is quicker to go to such extremes, and very touchy. Like the whole world is caught up in the blame game for anyone that voices anything but a positive opinion. It wasn't nearly as bad back in the early 2000s in this regard. I suppose that heightened sense of policing the world crept in here to to some degree...

I love this.

I like it. Very much in the style of UP. Good to see new stuff. Album coming??
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Not bad at all.
    The Prog Corner

I quite liked it. Very much in fact. It's vintage Peter. I can't wait to hear more!

From Peter Gabriel's website:

“I wrote a song a few years back – ‘I’m Amazing’, which was, in part, inspired by Muhammad Ali’s life and struggles and at the time of his death, when so many people are celebrating his life and thinking about all he achieved, it seemed the right time to release it.” – Peter Gabriel

So it doesn't seem to indicate work on a new album.

^Indeed not.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    As I've said before, I wasn't aware this site was called 'Gushing Fanboys-Only Ears'. I called it as I saw it, without making personal attacks or anything.
    I hope my comments didn't seem directed at you, because they weren't.

The "clever" play on the title by saying it should have been called "I'm Annoying" was, in itself, annoying -- and missed the point of the song itself. Or maybe the snarky oh-so-smart humor just went over my head.

Haven't actually listened to the song yet myself. I'm at work and didn't want to bother pulling up YouTube on my phone. For all I know, I may hate it!

Aw shucks, I hope I didn't offend anyone with my little joke about out how whiny and complainy the internet is. I used the cute little smiley with the sticky out tongue and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    I like it. Very much in the style of UP.
    Agreed. If you told me it was actually from the Up sessions, I would have believed it.

Speaking of Up... how shocking to think that it has already been 14 years (this coming September) since it was released.. that's about the length of the Beatles' entire recording career.... twice.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***