Page 54 of 160 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 3978

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

How does everyone fell about, The Legend of Hell House?
    The older I get, the better I was.

TCM is really doing it's part. All the way through Monday afternoon, a lot of the films we have discussed. Too many to name, check the schedule.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Have you guys heard that Filmstruck is calling it a day? Bummer, my son and I were really enjoying it

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/10/fi...on-1202015464/

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    NE witch hunts is interesting. Wonder why it seemed to happen mostly in NE? Some terrible stories came out of that. Mentally challenged people being burned and so on.
    Well, we are talking about the Colonial 1600s. There weren't a whole lot of Puritan settlers elsewhere.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Hal, didn't, The Bad Seed, have alternate endings? Thought I read that somewhere. The ending I saw was the girl being struck by lightning.
    I've seen it 2 or 3 times (a long time ago, I should add) and for some reason do not remember the girl being struck by lightning. But I just looked it up and you're right. All I remember is that the girl gets spanked by the mother during the credits.

NE witch hunts is interesting. Wonder why it seemed to happen mostly in NE? Some terrible stories came out of that. Mentally challenged people being burned and so on.
    From what I recall, the Salem Witch Trials stemmed from girls making shit up (Arthur Miller's The Crucible, the play about the SWT, was actually an allegory for McCarthyism). But as to why it proceeded as far as it did, like I said, it was a combination of Old World superstition and religious zealotry, which the Puritans were known for. Don't forget, the Puritans came from Europe where the Witch Hunts had been going on since the mid 15th century; the Puritans landed in the New World in the early to mid 17th century (the movie The Witch takes place in 1630). And since the Puritans were located in New England that probably explains why it was isolated there.

I just checked and the first witch hunts in New England were in the 1640s (Puritan Witch Hunts). The Salem Witch Trials were in 1692. BTW, I am by no means any kind of expert on this. In fact, I have just enough knowledge to get myself in trouble.

Incidentally, in keeping with your theme, there's a movie from 1971 called The Devils, a fictionalized account of the Loudun possessions in France in 1634. It stars Vanessa Redgrave and Oliver Reed and was directed by the very stylistic Ken Russell, who also directed Tommy and Crimes of Passion (w/Anthony Perkins and Kathleen Turner). Personally, I think he's mostly a hack; The Devils originally received an X rating. The only movie of his I enjoyed was Altered States. Which is very interesting because I think Russell is a victim of having done too much acid in the '60s.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Just never been able to get into silent movies but I know I'm missing a great deal there.
    "Haxan" (1922) has some pretty tripped-out scenes.

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Happy Halloween indeed!

Tonight on TCM

8:00 PM Island of Lost Souls (1932)
    9:15 PM Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932)
    11:00 PM Mad Love (1935)
    12:15 AM Fly, The (1958)

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Tonight on TCM

8:00 PM Island of Lost Souls (1932)
    9:15 PM Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932)
    11:00 PM Mad Love (1935)
    12:15 AM Fly, The (1958)
    All great movies. I have a bobble-head doll of the fly on my desk at work.

95e1791fcfcbd11b2f3f8ebda2253091.jpg
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    All great movies. I have a bobble-head doll of the fly on my desk at work.

95e1791fcfcbd11b2f3f8ebda2253091.jpg
    I liked it as a kid but that's about it. Still, that's one cool-ass bobble-head doll.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    I liked it as a kid but that's about it. Still, that's one cool-ass bobble-head doll.
    That is cool, classic sci-fi. One last thing on witches. Was Joan Of Arc burned as a witch or a heretic?

I liked it as a kid but that's about it.
    Yeah, it's not one I go out of my way to watch. Although, that last scene is CLASSIC!

One last thing on witches. Was Joan Of Arc burned as a witch or a heretic?
    A heretic. But it was politically motivated. One of the really fucked up things about her execution was that she was actually burned alive. Contrary to popular belief, people - even witches - weren't usually burned alive. They were garroted first, so they actually died of strangulation (I just saw this the other day on a documentary about the witch hunts in England). This was seen as more merciful than burning them alive.

Back then, a garrote was a piece of rope (sometimes with a knot tied in the middle) and two loops on each end. A stick was inserted into the loops and then turned so that the rope would tighten around the person's neck. Later, piano wire, tied to two small sticks to act as handles, was used for silent killings/assassinations. Not sure who came up with this innovation but my guess would be either an intelligence agency or the Mafia. That form of garrote has been in use since around WWII and supposedly even now some special forces are trained in how to make and use them.

^^ Man, those angry Christians were really something, huh?

A heretic. But it was politically motivated. One of the really fucked up things about her execution was that she was actually burned alive. Contrary to popular belief, people - even witches - weren't usually burned alive. They were garroted first, so they actually died of strangulation (I just saw this the other day on a documentary about the witch hunts in England). This was seen as more merciful than burning them alive.

Back then, a garrote was a piece of rope (sometimes with a knot tied in the middle) and two loops on each end. A stick was inserted into the loops and then turned so that the rope would tighten around the person's neck. Later, piano wire, tied to two small sticks to act as handles, was used for silent killings/assassinations. Not sure who came up with this innovation but my guess would be either an intelligence agency or the Mafia. That form of garrote has been in use since around WWII and supposedly even now some special forces are trained in how to make and use them.
    I could have looked it up, but this is exactly why I didn't. I knew I could learn more from you guys on just about any subject. More expansive info. I suppose Luke Abrasi, in the Godfather, would have first hand knowledge about a piano wire garrote.

^^ Man, those angry Christians were really something, huh?
    I want to comment here, but I think I'd better shelve it.

Hal, there was a film called, Burn Witch Burn. I Thought the only way to kill a witch was to burn them alive.

Hal, there was a film called, Burn Witch Burn. I Thought the only way to kill a witch was to burn them alive.
    Which is how we know all those people killed during the Witch Hunts weren't actually witches: they weren't burned alive.

What really is amazing, tho, is how little rational thinking played a part when it came to proving someone was a witch.

What really is amazing, tho, is how little rational thinking played a part when it came to proving someone was a witch.
    Thanks for the cue.

Thanks for the cue.
    I actually thought of that scene when I was typing that up.

I love at the end when the woman says, "it's a fair cop," which was a line they used a lot in the TV show.