Page 34 of 160 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: And the best Black and White movie ever is:

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Blade Runner sequel won awards for Best Visual Effects and Cinematography.
    Cool! Yeah, stopped watching these things a long time ago.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I suspect he's most noted for, A Christmas Carol and rightfully so. No one did it better. There is a family history.
    That was Lionel Barrymore. I was referring to John, which I didn't make clear.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That was Lionel Barrymore. I was referring to John, which I didn't make clear.
    Getting my Barrymore's mixed up has always been a liability. Oh how the kids taunted me.

Getting my Barrymore's mixed up has always been a liability. Oh how the kids taunted me.
    . There were more than a few.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've never seen that one. Laughton is pretty tough to beat.
    If you or anyone else hasn't seen it, watch The Night of the Hunter, the only movie he directed. Ranks in my top ten. Yeah, it's that good. Stars Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, and Lillian Gish.

Any Barrymore fans here?
    Which one?

I know John's considered one of the greatest ever but I've seen more movies with Lionel than John or Ethel. My favorite Lionel movies are You Can't Take it With You, It's a Wonderful Life, Key Largo, and On Borrowed Time.

Not a thing wrong with Hitch in color. Just an elbow to the ribs.
    Right, which is why I pointed out that Bad Day at Black Rock was in color.

Hal, did they do anything else with Something Wicked? I mean, a spin-off, anything? Seems it could have been perfect if you wanted to expand it in some way. Not big like Harry Potter, just something.
    Not aware of any spinoff. I know Ray Bradbury wrote the novel & screenplay so it seems to me he would have had to write a sequel for there to be a movie version. Or maybe not. But yeah, a sequel could have been cool. I remember thinking at the time I liked the novel better, which is typical, but there were some things about the movie I liked better, too. Can't remember what, other than Jonathan Pryce in the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Blade Runner sequel won awards for Best Visual Effects and Cinematography.
    Cinematography was well deserved, imo.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Which one?
    I guess you realized by now I meant John. He got his "greatest ever" title from his stage acting career. His acting style might be a bit to exaggerated for the screen, as some might suggest. I don't necessarily agree with that. But, MAN, could he play any role!

Anyone here ever see "Svengali" or the 1920 silent version of "Jeckyl & Hyde"?

John was known for being versatile. And, yes, I've seen Svengali but it was a long time ago and I can't remember my opinion of it. Don't think I saw his Jekyll & Hyde and I'd have to look at his filmography to remember anything else I've seen him in, which I'm too lazy to do at the moment.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

BTW, guys, who are your favorite actors & actresses of the classic era? (who got their start in B&W movies?)

Mine are Bogey, Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, and probably Katharine Hepburn for leads.

For supporting or character actors I'd have to go with Peter Lorre, Margaret Dumont (the Marx Bros foil), and Edward Everett Horton. (I know I'm forgetting some)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    BTW, guys, who are your favorite actors & actresses of the classic era? (who got their start in B&W movies?)

Mine are Bogey, Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, and probably Katharine Hepburn for leads.

For supporting or character actors I'd have to go with Peter Lorre, Margaret Dumont (the Marx Bros foil), and Edward Everett Horton. (I know I'm forgetting some)
    OMG, a tough one. I can't help but give kudos to both Tony Curtis and Jack Lemon in Some Like it Hot - I can't overplay how that movie made me who I am today! And I'm not a huge Monroe fan, but in that movie, yes! She would steam up my glasses.

Cary Grant, another good choice. Can't think who else. Gary Cooper, maybe, Sgt. York is a favorite. Claude Rains in The Invisible Man, basically a vocal-only role.

It's hard not to think of it in the context of great characters.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-05-2018 at 10:05 PM.

I am not a huge Gary Cooper fan. I always found him to be pretty bland and monotonous.

Cary Grant is one we rarely miss at home. My wife's favorite movie is "Arsenic and Old Lace."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just checked out the TCM lineup for St. Patty's Day and set a few things to record. Kind of the usual, including Finian's Rainbow. My wife loves to do Corned Beef and Cabbage, so good to be prepared.

I am not a huge Gary Cooper fan. I always found him to be pretty bland and monotonous.
    I'm of the opinion the only roles Cooper was perfectly cast for were Mr Deeds Goes to Town and Sgt York. Like you I think he's bland & monotonous, too.

Another actor I've never liked is Glenn Ford. There's just something about him I can't stand. About the only Ford movie I can get through is 3:10 to Yuma.

Cary Grant is one we rarely miss at home. My wife's favorite movie is "Arsenic and Old Lace."
    Your wife has good taste. My fave Grant movies are Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, Suspicion, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Bishop's Wife, and North by Northwest.

Grant and Jean Arthur only made two movies together, Only Angels Have Wings and Talk of the Town, both of which are pretty good movies but I would have loved to see them together in a screwball comedy or something like His Girl Friday.

Hmm. Jimmy Stewart, Bogey , Grant, Mitchum , Wayne, Karloff , Legousi , James Mason , Gegory Peck, Heston , WELLS , for leading men. Kate Hepburn , Barbra Stanwyk , Donna Reed , Virginia Mayo, Lauren Bacall, Ginger Rodgers..... for leading women. There were so many greats. Cant even think where to start of supporting charactors.

I don't even know where to start with this. I seem to start with the film, the story itself then I think about the actors. Was that actor good in that role or would someone else have been better? Bette Davis commanded the screen when she was up there but of course one could say the same about others. But for me, she could be hypnotic. Those "eyes" you know. Heston was another who was wide ranging in what he did and he has this sort of smart ass aire about him. I know more than everyone else and I'm a confident SOB. A kind of charm if you will. Well, that's two names but tomorrow, it could very well change. Everyone brought something to the table. I'm soooooo confused.

I'm of the opinion the only roles Cooper was perfectly cast for were Mr Deeds Goes to Town and Sgt York. Like you I think he's bland & monotonous, too.

Another actor I've never liked is Glenn Ford. There's just something about him I can't stand. About the only Ford movie I can get through is 3:10 to Yuma.

Your wife has good taste. My fave Grant movies are Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, Suspicion, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Bishop's Wife, and North by Northwest.

Grant and Jean Arthur only made two movies together, Only Angels Have Wings and Talk of the Town, both of which are pretty good movies but I would have loved to see them together in a screwball comedy or something like His Girl Friday.
    Yeah, Jean Arthur was pretty great in those roles. She's one of those overlooked actresses from those days.

Yes, I agree that Ford and Coop were a little laid back as it were. But, Ford was very good in, Blackboard Jungle. A film that happen to have a young and coming fella named Sidney Poitier. I think Sidney holds a special place in film of this time. Would like to hear some comment on him if possible. Also Ann Francis, again with her lovely wears, is present. Ford did another western which I think is much better than 3:10 called, Jubal. See it if you can, Charles Bronson, Rod Steiger, Ernest Borgnine and Jack Elam.

Yes, I agree that Ford and Coop were a little laid back as it were. But, Ford was very good in, Blackboard Jungle. A film that happen to have a young and coming fella named Sidney Poitier. I think Sidney holds a special place in film of this time. Would like to hear some comment on him if possible. Also Ann Francis, again with her lovely wears, is present. Ford did another western which I think is much better than 3:10 called, Jubal. See it if you can, Charles Bronson, Rod Steiger, Ernest Borgnine and Jack Elam.
    I forgot about Blackboard Jungle. Yes, he was tolerable in that.

Jubal, huh? I'll be honest, I'm a bit dubious about a western with Ford, Bronson, Steiger, and Borgnine. Jack Elam, OTOH, is always a pleasure. After looking it up, I see that Noah Beery Jr. is in it, as well.

Speaking of Ernest Borgnine, have you (or anyone else) seen Marty? A very good movie with an excellent performance by Ernie.

Poitier is one of the giants of film, IMO.

Speaking of Ernest Borgnine, have you (or anyone else) seen Marty? A very good movie with an excellent performance by Ernie.
    I LOVE MARTY! It was just on a couple of weeks ago. Really touching movie. Wasn't that a best picture winner?
    Last edited by ronmac; 03-06-2018 at 06:32 PM.

I LOVE MARTY! It was just on a couple of weeks ago. Really touching movie. Wasn't that a best picture winner?
    I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I know Ernie won an Oscar for best actor.

I was wrong. It did win Best Picture. And, apparently, it's the only movie to have won both Best Picture and the Palme d'Or at Cannes.
    [Wikipedia says The Lost Weekend (1945) won both, too, but Cannes didn't even start giving out the Palme d'Or until 1955, ten years after tLW was released. Furthermore, at the first Cannes FF in 1946, eleven grand prix awards were given out, one of which was to tLW, but it didn't win overall. Still, it is only the second American movie to win Best Picture and a Grand Prix/Palme d'Or]

BTW, I also just found out (or knew but forgot) that Marty was written by Paddy Chayefsky.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I know Ernie won an Oscar for best actor.

I was wrong. It did win Best Picture. And, apparently, it's the only movie to have won both Best Picture and the Palme d'Or at Cannes.
    [Wikipedia says The Lost Weekend (1945) won both, too, but Cannes didn't even start giving out the Palme d'Or until 1955, ten years after tLW was released. Furthermore, at the first Cannes FF in 1946, eleven grand prix awards were given out, one of which was to tLW, but it didn't win overall. Still, it is only the second American movie to win Best Picture and a Grand Prix/Palme d'Or]

BTW, I also just found out (or knew but forgot) that Marty was written by Paddy Chayefsky.
    This is great info on Marty. Every time I see it, it puts me in mind of, Requiem For A Heavyweight, with Anthony Quinn. Two guys needing something out of life. Ernest had family ties and Anthony had a bunch of no goods who used and abused him. That Jackie Gleason. Didn't he win something for, The Hustler? Wasn't in it for more than five minutes. Anyway, two human stories.

Poitier is one of the giants of film, IMO.
    Well, I'm going to come out with it. I think he got the short end of things in, The Heat Of The Night. I've never heard or read what he or Rod had to say about it But I have been told there was some talk about this point at the time.

Well, I'm going to come out with it. I think he got the short end of things in, The Heat Of The Night. I've never heard or read what he or Rod had to say about it But I have been told there was some talk about this point at the time.
    Not sure what you're referring to.

Not sure what you're referring to.
    That it should have been Sidney getting the awards. A great performance by Rod but it was a Sidney film. BTW, has anyone seen Steiger in, The Illustrated Man? A three story movie which I thought was rather interesting. I felt something more could have been done with it just like, Something Wicked This Way Comes. Maybe Bradbury had enough on his plate.

Speaking of Rod Steiger, one of his movies I saw years ago, that I've never seen written about, which is strange given Steiger's performance, is No Way to Treat a Lady, also starring George Segal and the gorgeous Lee Remick. Steiger plays a theater owner and director and... a serial killer.

Tonight on TCM, they're doing Edward G. Robinson comedies.

The Whole Town's Talking (1935) with Jean Arthur at 8:00 pm EST. I've never seen this one.

A personal favorite, "Larceny, Inc." (1942) is on at 10:00.