Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moon Safari - Blomljud

Moon Safari - Blomljud

I'm embarrassingly late to the party I know. But I just heard this CD for the first time about a month ago and am absolutely blown away. Going to have to make room in my top 10 to fit this in I think. I have and enjoy "A Doorway to Summer" but for some reason just never got around to getting the others. But Moon Safari's incredible work on the new Syn album "Trustworks" reminded me that I needed to get the rest of their catalog. I haven't stopped listening to this thing for a whole month now.

This is just a stunningly beautiful album. I absolutely love the feel and mood of these songs. The songs are complex but they all seem to flow so naturally. Harmonies from another world, perfect guitar tone with somewhat Camel like passages, and warm Hammond, Moog and Mellotron keyboard sounds; and then acoustic guitar throughout really making it complete. I haven't sat down with the lyrics yet but they seem quite positive and uplifting. I'm assuming "Methuselah's Children" is based on the Robert Heinlein book but I'm not sure if the whole album is based on his stories.

I've been buzzing all month with these songs in my head - this is one of those rare albums that I just HAD TO tell someone about it. I know everyone here has probably had it for years now but just in case anyone has been on the fence, don't wait.

And to top it off I'm giving this album all this praise and I haven't even heard disc 2 yet! I haven't been able to! ... as soon as "The Ghosts of Flowers Past" finishes and the cd cycles back to "Constant Bloom" I simply can't eject the thing. I'm trying to keep my expectations down for the second disc, but even if it isn't quite as good this is still an incredible album. Now if disc 2 is as good or better than disc 1....well we might be talking about the best album ever!

anyone else love this release?

yep, they got harmonies out the yin yang. I highly recommend their live release....The Gettysburg Address

i.ain't.dead.irock

Great album by a great band. Good summer listening.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Play disc 2. You'll be fine.

NO ONE imo in prog can touch their vocal arrangements.

Oh yeah, I love the harmony counterpoint vox of SB, GG, Advent etc., but to write vocal harmonic progressions that are at times just about dissonant but still work perfectly like MS does sure as hell ain't easy.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've been getting very into Moon Safari since shortly before seeing them on last years Cruise to the Edge, when I was listening to their albums a lot. I need to listen more (they were great live!), and I need to check out this Syn album too - thanks! Glad you're enjoying them.

Steve, how do you like the Syn album?

Yeah, fantastic album. For some reason, I tend to listen to "Lover's End" the most these days, but pretty much everything they've done has been terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Steve, how do you like the Syn album?
    Best work Nardelli's ever done imo, Jed, and I told him so. Worth owning even if you aren't a Syn fan if you like MS.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Best work Nardelli's ever done imo, Jed, and I told him so. Worth owning even if you aren't a Syn fan if you like MS.
    Is Nardelli the guy from Druckfarben?

Nardelli is a 60s artist from the Syn, original version.

A truly superb album as is their debut "A Doorway To Summer" and "Lovers End", not so keen on the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    I'm assuming "Methuselah's Children" is based on the Robert Heinlein book but I'm not sure if the whole album is based on his stories.
    Not sure either since I haven't read that one, but they certainly seem to be influenced by Heinlein considering he has other novels whose titles Moon Safari have used in some form: A Door into Summer and To Sail Beyond the Sunset.

Blomljud is one of my all-time favorite recordings. When it came out in early 2008, I listened to it start-to-finish at least 50 times. Couldn't get enough of it!

...a rare bunch of young guys (about 30) embracing the prog tradition without trying to clone the past or metallizing everything Blomljud is a really nice album (translated: Flower Sounds )
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Just bumped onto this band recently as well (Thanks to someone here on PE).. Bought this one and the live album.. Have enjoyed listening to what they have to offer...

Banned

Moon Safari - Blomljud

Moonwalk has brought me to tears because it's incredible that these kids (relatively speaking) have been so influenced by that incredible achievement on July 20 1969 (50th anniversary of it and Woodstock are coming in 2019). And there is this 60's vibe to the band which is awesome.

Moon Safari are amazingly talented, but I have to tread lightly with their music and this is true for Blomljud in particular. I listen to 1 or 2 songs and I think they're the greatest thing ever. I listen to a whole cd and I feel like I've just eaten a box of Peeps. Too much sugar. Not enough meat. I have found that listening to some Present afterwards helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Blomljud is one of my all-time favorite recordings. When it came out in early 2008, I listened to it start-to-finish at least 50 times. Couldn't get enough of it!
    This is where I am right now - can't get enough of it, gonna play it to death I know but can't stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Moonwalk has brought me to tears because it's incredible that these kids (relatively speaking) have been so influenced by that incredible achievement on July 20 1969 (50th anniversary of it and Woodstock are coming in 2019). And there is this 60's vibe to the band which is awesome.
    Moonwalk is sooooo good. When that main guitar riff comes back around after the Bill Anders Apollo 8 reading - wow! just floors me. incredible stuff.
    Another one of my favorite albums also uses the Apollo 8 Genesis reading - Mike Oldfield - The Songs of Distant Earth.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    This is where I am right now - can't get enough of it, gonna play it to death I know but can't stop.

Moonwalk is sooooo good. When that main guitar riff comes back around after the Bill Anders Apollo 8 reading - wow! just floors me. incredible stuff.
    Another one of my favorite albums also uses the Apollo 8 Genesis reading - Mike Oldfield - The Songs of Distant Earth.
    You nailed it[emoji106]

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Moon Safari are amazingly talented, but I have to tread lightly with their music and this is true for Blomljud in particular. I listen to 1 or 2 songs and I think they're the greatest thing ever. I listen to a whole cd and I feel like I've just eaten a box of Peeps. Too much sugar. Not enough meat. I have found that listening to some Present afterwards helps!
    https://youtu.be/iflrb5KAq6A

They're so f*****g together for kids their age that they wrote this!

...one thong that struck me when I saw MS live was the energy they put into their performance, the the communication on stage, the openness to improvisations and their sheer enjoyment. Too many prog band performances tend to be boring, where all the effort seems to go towards recreating the studio performances as faithfully as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    ...one thong that struck me when I saw MS live was the energy they put into their performance, the the communication on stage, the openness to improvisations and their sheer enjoyment. Too many prog band performances tend to be boring, where all the effort seems to go towards recreating the studio performances as faithfully as possible.
    They have hoards of screaming women throwing thongs on the stage at their concerts?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They have hoards of screaming women throwing thongs on the stage at their concerts?

...that would scare the living hell out of them boys! Flower and teddy bears maybe...

I've seen Martin Schnella singing with them in a few videos but I don't recall him playing on any released material. maybe, they're all just buds...IDK. regardless, his cover of Constant Bloom is pretty freakin' sweet! deserves a listen from Safari fans

i.ain't.dead.irock

Wow. That's amazing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Wonderful