Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rob and Chad, Let's have a NEARFEST PHOENIX in 2017 !!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Q. How do you become a millionaire?

A. Start as a billionaire, and put on a prog festival.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. Pleasant Farm View Post
    I never knew John Battema was a crack whore. Thanks for the enlightenment.
    Wrong. I can pay for my crack with *cash*, not sexytime

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    buttcrack?

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Was that you with the dollar bills at the UK show.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Nearfest was great. I was at about half of them(not counting pre shows). However, it is done and some of you need to get over it. Why not start your own prog fest and leave these guys alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Nearfest was great. I was at about half of them(not counting pre shows). However, it is done and some of you need to get over it. Why not start your own prog fest and leave these guys alone?
    Because complaining is so much easier than actually doing.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I think if you really want to start a more sensible thread for another NEARFest, you should concentrate on a different year...that being 2019. That will be the 20th anniversary of the very first one held in 1999. It's not that far off and could be held in _______________ (fill in the blank).

Surely Chad and Rob are aware of this and have maybe given it some thought? Granted at the rate 2016 is going here's hoping there are members of bands still alive by then.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    I think if you really want to start a more sensible thread for another NEARFest, you should concentrate on a different year...that being 2019. That will be the 20th anniversary of the very first one held in 1999. It's not that far off and could be held in _______________ (fill in the blank).

Surely Chad and Rob are aware of this and have maybe given it some thought? Granted at the rate 2016 is going here's hoping there are members of bands still alive by then.
    How about Progday or ROSfest having an edition in 2019 that celebrates Nearfest. If Rob and Chad can't attend, they could show up via the big screen on FaceTime or Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    How about Progday or ROSfest having an edition in 2019 that celebrates Nearfest. If Rob and Chad can't attend, they could show up via the big screen on FaceTime or Skype.
    What does 'celebrate NEARFest' actually mean?

Isn't their existence a celebration of NEARFEST just as NF was a celebration of their existence and all the ones that came before them?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    What does 'celebrate NEARFest' actually mean?

Isn't their existence a celebration of NEARFEST just as NF was a celebration of their existence and all the ones that came before them?
    As simple as the recognition of the 20th anniversary of NF?

As simple as the recognition of the 20th anniversary of NF?
    IMO, and with NO slight intended to NF and what they accomplished. Rob and Chad know this and know how much I appreciate their legacy.

Better to look forward than to look back. If NF was still alive, it would be completely appropriate FOR THEM to celebrate 20th anniversary.

But they aren't and, IMO, it isn't the job of others who are doing THEIR best to keep the flame alive to do so.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

P.S.

Anyone who says 'the big screen' and ProgDay in the same sentence probably has never been to ProgDay.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Banned
    P.S.

Anyone who says 'the big screen' and ProgDay in the same sentence probably has never been to ProgDay.
    Obviously, a no show at Progday means that only ROSfest could do a remote call, unless it was just audio.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    No one's bothering the meat world Chad and Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by nearfest View Post
    ProgDay and Rosfest are the absolute wrong time of year for this university professor and dean.
    Attend or Perish!

How about those sort of recorded hologram projections like they did with some dead rapper?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    How about those sort of recorded hologram projections like they did with some dead rapper?
    If it was at Progday, Progday would have to have bands at night, which would be pretty cool in more ways than one.

If it was at Progday, Progday would have to have bands at night, which would be pretty cool in more ways than one.
    The venue has a sunset curfew so that ain't happening. Plus, there are for all practical purposes no lights on the field. When it gets dark, it gets really dark.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The venue has a sunset curfew so that ain't happening. Plus, there are for all practical purposes no lights on the field. When it gets dark, it gets really dark.
    I seem to recall one year, they had to bring cars up to the stage and use the headlights whilst dismantling everything after the last band played (I think it was the year Arti E Mestieri played, because I recall there was a long delay while they were setting up...there was some kind of technical snafu with the gear, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I seem to recall one year, they had to bring cars up to the stage and use the headlights whilst dismantling everything after the last band played (I think it was the year Arti E Mestieri played, because I recall there was a long delay while they were setting up...there was some kind of technical snafu with the gear, I think).
    No, it was one of the first six. Arti set was shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I was not there in 96, but have heard the story of car headlights being used for Mastermind after it got dark. In 98 The Flower Kings ran late and there were some actual stage lights provided by After The Fall if I remember correctly, but……the bottom line remains that the venue has a sunset curfew. The police have shown up more than once due to late running shows.

Car headlights have been used many times for the tear down on Sunday night. As I mentioned before it gets very very dark at Storybook and, car headlights are the only way to light things up on Sunday night at the end of the weekend.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Figured so, just living a fantasy[emoji6]

I don't think he meant Phoenix as in Arizona. I think he meant Phoenix as in rising from the adhes resurrected. At least that's what hoped he meant.

I was fortunate to be able to attend all the NEARfests and will be forever grateful for them and the friendships I made.

I'd love it if there was another but I doubt it's in the cards

^ ^

Said the man suggesting a video screen hookup.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Banned
    ^ ^

Said the man suggesting a video screen hookup.
    In response to a suggestion of an anniversary fest in 2019. On the more serious side, the manner in which CA has satisfied their Prog demand after the demise of Progfest is interesting. CALProg just coordinates concerts at various venues. Although here in the east, there are multiple interests that put on shows, and also 2 festivals. I hope that if the East were to lose their festivals, potentially there could be sort of an organization which could coordinate Prog shows at venues larger than the Orion or where the NJ prog house books.