Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tours You Wish Had Been Filmed

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Tours You Wish Had Been Filmed

An excellent boot or an official release. I haven't seen many good video boots. The only one that comes to mind is a video of Marillion's show at The Ritz in Manhattan on the Holidays in Eden tour. I got it straight from the source. I was there and it was a great show. Hogarth was climbing all over the place!

So, mY FIRST is:

Roger Waters - Radio KAOS

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The Bruford version of UK was the first thing that came to mind.

I wish there was proshot footage of:

Pink Floyd 1977 tour (or just about any tour or live show before that)
    Genesis The Lamb tour (a show was filmed, but the footage no longer exists, apparently)
    Yes 1976 tour (again apparently they did film some of the shows, but the director absconded with the footage and the band's money)
    Iron Maiden Somewhere On Tour (apparently, Rod Smallwood decided it had been too soon since Live After Death to do another concert video, so the only thing we have is video screen footage and a couple home video things)
    Nektar (anything from the early or mid 70's)
    Hawkwind (two words: Space Ritual, also the 79 winter tour, the 1980 summer and winter tours, or any of the other tours that Huw Lloyd Langton played on, for that matter)
    The Byrds (original lineup or Clarence White era)
    John Coltrane (anything from the Impulse era, I believe all the footage I've seen of Trane was shot in a studio, specifically for TV programs, so it's not really a reflection of what you might have heard on a gig, might have been nice if they could have filmed the Nov 61 Village Vanguard shows)
    Sun Ra (anything from the NYC or early Philadelphia eras)
    Uriah Heep (circa January 1973...yes, you know what I'm talking about)
    Gong (You era)
    Tangerine Dream circa 74-78 (actually, what footage I have seen of them in concert, there's not much to watch, until you get to 77, and you've got the Laserium show, a film of the Dominion Theater concert in 82 would have been nice too)
    Magma (there's bits and pieces I've seen of stuff from the 70's, but is there any solid, unedited footage from circa 74-76?)

I was gonna mention Frank Zappa, but I guess there's footage in existence of just about every era I'd want to see, it's just the majority of it is sitting in a vault someplace. Would love to see more of the footage from 82 (apparently, most shows, Frank had a guy named Thomas Nordegg running around the stage shooting stuff, it might not be complete shows, and it might be just the one camera, but if the footage of St Etteine and Stevie's Spanking that were on the Video From Hell are any indication, the ZFT might be holding out on us in this regard)

I know ther'es also a few bits and scraps of King Crimson from the 72-74 era, but I wish there was something a bit more substantial. Would be nice if there was some footage from that one UK tour they did with Jamie Muir onboard.

I also wish there was better footage of VDGG, something shot by cameramen who actually know how to shoot a live performance.

The original Allman Brothers. So little footage of Duane.

Any Magma tour from 73 to 79

Genesis- The Lamb tour; there are bits and pieces of professional film, from the same Shrine gig as was officially released. It would be nice to think the whole thing would turn up one day, but it seems unlikely now. At least we have a reasonable amount of live film of them in the Gabriel era.

Pink Floyd- anything from 1973-7. Mindboggling in retrospect that one of the biggest rock bands of the time were not caught on camera at all during this period.

Yes- the early Tales gigs, where the whole of CTTE was played alongside all of the then-new album. I'm happy with the QPR show as a memento of the Moraz era...sonic issues aside, it is a full show. And Yessongs, though not complete, covers the tour before well enough.

ELP- a full show from 1973/4. Nice to have the bits in Manticore Special and the California Jam show, but more would be even better!

Would have been nice to have more live footage of all the rock 'n' roll stars of the 50s. What exists are live TV performances, mimed TV performances or mimed appearances in films.

UK Original band version

Deep Purple - Made in Japan-era tour

YES - TftO

Sabbath - SBS era (not including Cal Jam which is some pretty damn good stuff)

...agree, some early Allman Bros w/Duane

Yes - Tales
    Tull - A Passion Play
    Genesis - Lamb
    Rush - Permanent Waves
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

King Crimson 1969

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Gentle Giant - Playing the Fool Tour

[QUOTE=GuitarGeek;565856]I wish there was proshot footage of:

The Byrds (original lineup or Clarence White era)/QUOTE]

Bingo!

Also for me would be the Rick Wakeman version of the Strawbs, the Gram Parson's Burrito Brothers (I'll also take the Burritos tour with Country Gazette as members), Keef Hartley at Woodstock, Canned Heat with Alan Wilson, and any early Quicksilver with John Cippolina.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Tull - A Passion Play
    Genesis - Lamb
    Would die for Passion Play...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I wish there was proshot footage of:

[Genesis The Lamb tour (a show was filmed, but the footage no longer exists, apparently)
    Hawkwind (two words: Space Ritual, also the 79 winter tour, the 1980 summer and winter tours, or any of the other tours that Huw Lloyd Langton played on, for that matter)
    Gong (You era)
    Magma (there's bits and pieces I've seen of stuff from the 70's, but is there any solid, unedited footage from circa 74-76?)

I also wish there was better footage of VDGG, something shot by cameramen who actually know how to shoot a live performance.
    Exactly those..

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Gentle Giant - Playing the Fool Tour
    Anything Gentle Giant would be most welcome

Another vote for Nektar and Mick Brockett's Liquid Light Show.

A big vote for The Beatles in Hamburg or the Cavern pre-1963.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Everything by Yes in the 70's particularly Tales and the Tormato 78/79 tour. Also Rush A Farewell To Kings & Hemispheres tours - they were classic.

I've been pretty diligent seeking out full shows on the Interwebs but there's some stuff I'd really kill to get my hands on. Or even a CD of.

Tull in the early 70s would be wonderful.
    Ditto on the Nektar with the light show.
    A decent copy of Yessongs?!
    Steely Dan '74
    Pink Floyd 73-77. All of it.
    Zeppelin '75
    Heart '78
    Black Sabbath '73 or '75
    Rush '78 or '80
    REM 80s
    Diana Krall, wearing a little negligee....I'm sorry, where was I?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > Diana Krall, wearing a little negligee

Wow, didn't know how attractive she is!

See, I said Waters - Radio KAOS tour because I knew you guys would mention the more important stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Tull - A Passion Play
    Or Thick as a Brick

I was gonna mention Frank Zappa, but I guess there's footage in existence of just about every era I'd want to see, it's just the majority of it is sitting in a vault someplace. Would love to see more of the footage from 82 (apparently, most shows, Frank had a guy named Thomas Nordegg running around the stage shooting stuff, it might not be complete shows, and it might be just the one camera, but if the footage of St Etteine and Stevie's Spanking that were on the Video From Hell are any indication, the ZFT might be holding out on us in this regard)
    Nordegg did single camera video of not only the 82 tour, but the other early 80's tours. Aside from the songs you mentioned, the ZFT released a video of "RDNZL" from Palmero, Sicily as a download a year or two ago in one of the "Birthday Bundles."

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Nordegg did single camera video of not only the 82 tour, but the other early 80's tours. Aside from the songs you mentioned, the ZFT released a video of "RDNZL" from Palmero, Sicily as a download a year or two ago in one of the "Birthday Bundles."
    Is that still available? I'll have to look into that. I wonder if there's a good video of the Drowning Witch/What's New In Baltimore?/Moggio suite in there someplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Everything by Yes in the 70's particularly Tales and the Tormato 78/79 tour.
    I know these aren't the droids you're looking for, but the Live In Philadelphia deal was from the 79 tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Also Rush A Farewell To Kings & Hemispheres tours - they were classic.
    I'd settle for a DVD of all the films they used in concert, synched up to the studio versions of the songs, and I'd stretch that to include all the tours, just for the sake of being able to see all of them.

Uriah Heep-Look at Yourself tour

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Genesis- The Lamb tour; there are bits and pieces of professional film, from the same Shrine gig as was officially released. It would be nice to think the whole thing would turn up one day, but it seems unlikely now. At least we have a reasonable amount of live film of them in the Gabriel era.
    The only footage I've ever seen, apart from audience shot home movie stuff, is the clip of them doing In The Cage and of Gabriel emerging onstage in the Slipperman costume, that were used in the early 90's documentary that they put out on VHS. Those apparently came from a documentary done for German TV (I think it was German), at the time. I think the Genesis footage was used to illustrate an example of how the "rock theater" aspect of some bands' live performance had grown to what it was at the time. I think I read somewhere on Youtube that the German film crew actually shot more of the concert, but the footage was, as usual, all junked after they were done editing the program.
    Pink Floyd- anything from 1973-7. Mindboggling in retrospect that one of the biggest rock bands of the time were not caught on camera at all during this period.
    Well, there again, there is home movie footage. I'm not sure if I still have it, but I downloaded a bunch of things off one of the torrent sites a few years ago. There was footage of the Hollywood Bowl show from 72 (with all the crazy pyro going off during Careful With That Axe Eugene), and there were two or three other shows from 73-77. I know one thing was showing the airplane crashing into the stage during On The Run, I think that must have been from 73, because I don't think they had the projection screen in that. I forget what else was in there. Of course, these are all bits and pieces of shows, and sometimes, even bits and pieces of songs.

And though it's slightly earlier than the era you cite, there's also some footage, I think from early in 72, that was used in multi-artist concert film, where they're doing Careful With THat Axe, Eugene (again, with impressive pyro) and I think Set The Controls... I
    Yes- the early Tales gigs, where the whole of CTTE was played alongside all of the then-new album. I'm happy with the QPR show as a memento of the Moraz era...sonic issues aside, it is a full show. And Yessongs, though not complete, covers the tour before well enough.
    I'd like to see the other stage sets from the Moraz era, the Barnacles and Crab Nebula stages. And it would have been nice to have an indoor show from the leg of the Relayer tour that QPR came from, as I understand they used lasers on the indoor shows.
    ELP- a full show from 1973/4. Nice to have the bits in Manticore Special and the California Jam show, but more would be even better!
    Something from the Brain Salad Surgery tour where we can see the backdrop projections, would be nice. I'll take any full performance of Tarkus where Lake's guitar doesn't go out of tune (as on the Osaka footage...or was it Tokyo?).

Would have been nice to have more live footage of all the rock 'n' roll stars of the 50s. What exists are live TV performances, mimed TV performances or mimed appearances in films.

What? You're saying that's not really Alan Freed, Charlie Haden and Dave Brubeck backing Chuck Berry in that one clip of Little Queenie that was in whichever movie?

There was a concert film made in the early 70's, with people like Little Richard, Bo Diddley and I forget who else. Obviously, this way later than the era you're talking about, but it still captures the performers in brilliant form. And it's worth to watch Bo Diddley cooking in his dressing room. I can't remember what he was making, but he says he likes to cook when he's on tour, just to remind himself about how crummy he and other African American performers were treated back in the day.

Is that still available? I'll have to look into that. I wonder if there's a good video of the Drowning Witch/What's New In Baltimore?/Moggio suite in there someplace.
    They performed it at the Halloween 1981 shows where nearly everything else has come out on various video releases (although it's possible there is Nordegg footage of a better version later in the 81 tour).

You may still be able to purchase the "RDNZL" video for $3.99 here: http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.c...=971&pc=ZPDD36

There was a concert film made in the early 70's, with people like Little Richard, Bo Diddley and I forget who else. Obviously, this way later than the era you're talking about, but it still captures the performers in brilliant form. And it's worth to watch Bo Diddley cooking in his dressing room. I can't remember what he was making, but he says he likes to cook when he's on tour, just to remind himself about how crummy he and other African American performers were treated back in the day.
    Let the Good Times Roll. The final number is a jam between Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry that pretty much scorches. Filmed as Madison Square Garden if I remember right.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart