Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AAJ Review: Security Project, Live 1

Fine, man...but to argue those bands were bigger trendsetters than Genesis is a waste of time. Percussion triggered synth or looping bands, vs. the NeoProg wave.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Let's say, for the sake of argument, that your characterizations are true.

It might then be said that they were unique.

But, being unique does not make them trendsetters!

Your defense is incompetent, immaterial, and irrelevant.
    And your attitude is rude, obnoxious and completely unnecessary. But, for sake of argument, tell me how being unique, and how influencing generations of other artists, does not make them trendsetters. I've no doubt that the face of contemporary progressive music would not be the same without having had Genesis come before.

There's nothing incompetent, immaterial or irrelevant about my argument; at least I'm providing one. YOU, on the other hand, simply say "it's not true because I say it isn't." You've yet to counter - intelligently or otherwise - what I've said and what others have said in support of my thoughts.

But as I write this, I recall running into you before. What you are is this: a troll. So answer my post with another rude, obnoxious reply and we'll call it a day, 'K?

The Nice/ELP were trendsetters -- and this was in the '70s, not a decade later. (Not only musically, remember that Palmer was an early advocate of percussion triggered synths, later to be used by Bruford).
    Um, I was not referring to '80s Genesis...I was referring to '70s Genesis, specifically Gabriel-era Genesis; since Security Project is playing Gabriel material (and even one Gabriel-era Genesis song), I thought it was pretty darn obvious to which incarnation of Genesis I was referring.

But ok, I'll bite. Why was ELP/The Nice a trendsetting group and Genesis not? What did ELP do that changed the face of what came after more than Genesis? I'm not suggesting they weren't trendsetters, only that ELP & The Nice stood as trendsetters right alongside Gabriel-era Genesis.

You criticize my arguments as irrelevant, immaterial and incompetent. But you provide NO argument; you only make a statement and provide no explanation what made them (ELP/Nice) different than Genesis in that they were trendsetters while Genesis was (in your opinion) not.

Perhaps I am incompetent. But at least I ARGUE my incompetence by providing reasons behind my irrelevant and immaterial beliefs.

Crimson (they were even copied by ... Genesis); Fripp's looping style has lead to an entire genre, not to mention musical equipment designed for that purpose. And, let's not forget '80s Crimson.
    Many bands were informed by Crimson; that doesn't mean they cannot be trendsetters in their own right. After all, you did acknowledge that Genesis was unique (just that being unique doesn't make them a trendsetter). Here is where you fall apart. If Genesis were unique, how could they have copied Crimson? Wouldn't that make them intrinsically not unique?

Magma, T. Dream, Kraftwerk - all trendsetters. Kraftwerk's style not only launched thousands of bands, but branched out into other styles and has permeated the zietgeist.
    I couldn't agree with you more. The only place I disagree is that for some reason you think Genesis have not done the same thing (launched many bands...thousands, when it comes to Magma, TD and Kraftwerk, may be overstating your case).

Genesis has certainly been responsible for launching many other bands (Marillion, Arena, Neal Morse, Frost*, Steven Wilson are just a few larger names that spring to mind without trying - all of whom have been, in some way, shape or form, informed by '70s Genesis). If you listen to English Electric: Full Power's "The First Rebreather," also Big Big Train's opening track to their new live album, From Stone and Steel), and I suspect you'll have no trouble at all hearing Genesis in their DNA, not only from the chord voicings in the chorus, which are so absolutely Tony Banks, but to the overall vibe and use of instrumentation.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    And your attitude is rude, obnoxious and completely unnecessary.

But as I write this, I recall running into you before. What you are is this: a troll. So answer my post with another rude, obnoxious reply and we'll call it a day, 'K?
    John, as usual, an excellent and well reasoned review. As for the troll remark, you called it right. I have him on ignore.

Thanks so much! I DO try.

One might even say that I am a

trendsetter.
    I would definitely use a different word.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally