Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Official" Ennio Morricone Thread

^ Didn't know the Bach connection, but of course this makes sense. Pretty much every great composer acknowledges J.S. in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Does EM have a score that is unmistakably "Italian" in nature? Maybe even containing real or some faux Italian folk?
    https://youtu.be/P6ZCNR4bC70

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    From his recently released autobiography:
    "2 Simple musical codes I like to use are the four notes in Bach's name B A C H and the six sounds in the Ricercare Cromatico by Frescobaldi
    B A C H in German notation corresponds to B flat. A,C and B natural.
    I use these simple patterns to create themes that resonate - Such as in The Mission and The Battle Of Algires. They are spiritual sounds. You can develop these four key nots in so many ways and there are still many other possibilities. I have used them in many compositions as many other composers
    Bach's notes are the building blocks for a robust structure just as a house is constructed on form foundations
    I deeply admire Bach and my son was named after him."
    Thanks for sharing this enlightening excerpt Udi Koomran!

It one more time reasserts the immortal power of Art Music on countless generations of music composers.......power and influence which for sure will historians of the future remember. I reckon that THAT is what the geniuses are for - prepetuating their GREAT MUSIC!

People can aknowledge better now about Ennio's well known love for literally all Classical Music historical Ages, besides one can check it out just through tubes presented here so far - btw 'The March of the Beggars' being the most obvious one (needless to say, I know), which served as a motif for a black-humoured joke on this thread.
    Last edited by Rick Robson; 05-25-2016 at 08:46 AM.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Another amazing bit, found fortuitously. It almost sums up Morricone's whole sound in two-and-a-half minutes, careening through rock, jazz, Morricone-Western, 20th Century classical music, and more. The only Morricone trope missing is some of Alessandro Alessandroni's odd sounds - yelps, whistling, jew's harp, grunts, or the like.

Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-25-2016 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    Thanks for sharing this enlightening excerpt Udi Koomran!
    I consider myself a newbie

Yes! More of this please.

I consider myself a newbie
    What/when was the spark that ignited this journey?

Frankie some more Italian faux folk
    https://youtu.be/SamhlBLbDFQ
    This is amore! More of this too please.

wow. Stellar recording too - an engineers dream.

simply staggering.

EDIT: I just listened to this again and it blew my mind. If this was some French avant band that was described as Zoyd/UZ influenced, the avant junkies would be busting nuts over this, but I'm sure it will go largely on ignore for most sadly.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 05-26-2016 at 07:53 PM.

so beautiful.

Yup Solo Per Amore is a great score
    Bulsworth I don't know - its from a later period -will check it out

What/when was the spark that ignited this journey?

Well growing up in the 60's and 70's - I guess it was invertible - I used to watch these westerns with my dad heh heh
    And I was alway a cinema fan so I got to see quite a few films like Bertolucci's 1900, Leone's Once Upon A Time In America , Polanski's Frantic , Lolita The Mission etc.
    Then a friend bought me Zorn's - The Big Gundown so I started paying attention And following Secret Chiefs 3 and Fantomas too
    A friend showed me the Morricone Plays Morricone dvd ( amazing presentation and sound btw )
    Pierre Chevalier (Present) started initiating me a couple of years ago and I loved what he played me
    Early last year I saw he is back to preforming so I vowed to go and see him and this February traveled to London for his show at the O2
    But it was last November when my friend Yair asked me to make him a compilation of his work and doing so suddenly had this epiphany - searching through dozens of YT clips I realized his quality/quantity ratio is like no other musician I have ever listened to ( never got into classical music ...)
    So these last 8 months or so been exclusively listening to his music and turning my girls wife and anyone around to his music
    and still just discovering...

That's great Udester. How is The Big Gundown? Worth picking up? I think the only thing I know of Zorn covering EM is "The Sicilian Clan" on Naked City.

Amazing.

Udi - you are spot on with the quantity/quality ratio. It doesn't matter what we post here. How gorgeous is this?

The soundtrack to The Thing (1982) seems to be underrepresented in here. It's a very desolate and creepy score and you can feel the arctic cold listening to it.

I'll give another plug for Crime and Dissonance too, chiefly because i'm listening to it now and it's great (too many orgasm noises though )
    Last edited by loosefish; 05-26-2016 at 09:20 AM.

IMO one of the maestro's best efforts in the western vein is the magnificent score to the 1968 French directed Guns for San Sebastian starring Anthony Quinn and Charles Bronson. Set in 18th century Mexico, and filmed there too, the film is top notch, and Morricone's score heavenly. Here's selections from the soundtrack.

Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Oh this sounds very interesting!, will get it asap
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    IMO one of the maestro's best efforts in the western vein is the magnificent score to the 1968 French directed Guns for San Sebastian starring Anthony Quinn and Charles Bronson. Set in 18th century Mexico, and filmed there too, the film is top notch, and Morricone's score heavenly. Here's selections from the soundtrack.
    Thanks for posting this - another amazing piece of music. There is also such a "Tim Smith" vibe here that Cardiacs fans will eat this up. I'm talking to you Beabout!

I love this one - the melody is is just beautiful (love those triangles accents)
    The whole score is top drawer
    Notice that the guitar accompaniment here is the foundation and later developed in Spasmo

There is also such a "Tim Smith" vibe here that Cardiacs fans will eat this up. I'm talking to you Beabout!
    Come again

Does EM have a score that is unmistakably "Italian" in nature?
    If you want some more, check this out: Ennio Morricone - Rabbia E Tarantella

Although it's used during the closing credits of Quentin Tarantino's 'Inglourious Basterds' (2009), it was originally one of '74 Allonsanfān's main musical themes. Allonsanfān is a great film set in early 19th-century Italy and starring Marcello Mastroianni, with the score written by Ennio Morricone. Highly recommended.

Le Foto Proibite di Una Signora Per Bene - aka The Secret Picture of a Respectable Woman an obscure film from 1970
    For me One of his top scores - he is really on the top of his game with this score

https://youtu.be/YFIUoaQ1qUo
    https://youtu.be/LpwKgKnuMQY
    Last edited by Udi Koomran; 05-27-2016 at 02:02 AM.