Thread: FEATURED CD: Asturias - Missing Piece of My Life

FEATURED CD: Asturias - Missing Piece of My Life

Today's featured album is the 2015 release "Missing Piece of My Life" from Japanese group Asturias.

Not much in the form of reviews...
    "Missing Piece of My Life" is the first album since the classic album, "In Search of the Soul Trees" was released seven years ago. The Japanese multi-instrument player, Yoh Ohyama, put his body and soul into this grand progressive rock suite.
    Bio from ProgArchives:
    Asturias biography
    Japanese outfit ASTURIAS started out as the solo project of multi-instrumentalist and composer Yoh Ohyama. He started writing material for an album in 1987, and in 1988 the debut album Circle in the Forest was issued on King Records, one of the major record labels in Japan. The sophomore effort Brilliant Streams followed in 1990, and the third and eventually last installment in this series of solo albums were Cryptogam Illusion issued in 1993.

By this time Ohyama had received much praise for his albums as well as his live performances; and had established himself as a Japanese answer to - or version of - Mike Oldfield. However, despite the artistic merits of his work and the praise his creations received sales weren't satisfactory for his record label; and the Asturias project was put on hiatus.

In the following years Ohyama establishes himself as a well known independent composer, arranger, producer and recording engineer. However, the Asturias project isn't forgotten, and in 2003 Ohyama decides to ressurect it, this time as an acoustic quartet. Together with Yoshihiro Kawagoe (piano), Misa Kitatsuji (violin) and Kaori Tsutsui (clarinet, recorder) a new album is made, released in 2004 as Bird's Eye View.

The album explores a style of music more symphonic than the past efforts released under the Asturias moniker, and also gets a higher degree of attention. A direct result of the success is a new album, Marching Grass on the Hill, issued in 2006. On this creation Ohyama brings in one new musician; Ito Kyoko (violin); in place of Kitatsuji.

Following these two succesfull acoustic creations, Ohyama decides to create a solo album again, revisiting the Oldfield influences from the first three albums. With a plethora of guest musicians involved, this 4th solo album and 6th album issued using the Asturias moniker sees the light of day in 2008; named In Search of the Soul Trees. It is issued by Poseidon Records in Japan while legendary French label Musea Records has seen to it that the production is available in most other parts of the world.

When looking for more information on this artist; or trying to locate the various albums, one should note that the solo albums may be listed as Electric Asturias, while the band albums may be found sorted under Acoustic Asturias.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

[Quote]: When looking for more information on this artist; or trying to locate the various albums, one should note that the solo albums may be listed as Electric Asturias, while the band albums may be found sorted under Acoustic Asturias" [End of Quote]

This might be misleading, the band divied their albums depending on the style of Music they Play: as
    "Electirc Asturias" when they do more of fusion orientated stuff (for me These Albums are by far their best).

"Acoustic Asturias": as the name says, but also somewhat more in a Folk direction.

"Multi Asturias": sort of a very symphonic Version of Mike Oldfield. "Missing Piece of my Life" is a "Multi Asturias" release.

I can heartly recommend the "Electric Asturias" releases like "Fractals" and "Elements", these are awesome.

I'am not so wild about their other two directions, though.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Looking forward to seeing Electric Asturias on CTTE 2017!

Banned
    [QUOTE=TheH;563838]
    : When looking for more information on this artist; or trying to locate the various albums, one should note that the solo albums may be listed as Electric Asturias, while the band albums may be found sorted under Acoustic Asturias" [End of Quote]

This might be misleading, the band divied their albums depending on the style of Music they Play: as
    "Electirc Asturias" when they do more of fusion orientated stuff (for me These Albums are by far their best).

"Acoustic Asturias": as the name says, but also somewhat more in a Folk direction.

"Multi Asturias": sort of a very symphonic Version of Mike Oldfield. "Missing Piece of my Life" is a "Multi Asturias" release.

I can heartly recommend the "Electric Asturias" releases like "Fractals" and "Elements", these are awesome.

This one is just Asturias, so what does that mean. Thank ls for addressing the bands name.

These folks are excellent.

The 2 early ones I have (1988 & 1990) are simply "Asturias."

I was very disappointed with this. Some one promoted this being Oldfield-like but I just find this awfully sterile and boring.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    [This one is just Asturias, so what does that mean. Thank ls for addressing the bands name.

These folks are excellent.
    The band claims this one to be a "Multi Asturias" release. So it seems that all releases that are just "Asturias" will be counted as "Multi Asturias".

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

Like you I have Fractals and Elements, and from sampling the other flavors of Asturias it's the Electric Asturias that interests me the most. I have sampled this one a bit, and when I'm on a computer with speakers I'll try some of the other samples above. But what I've heard of this one so far hasn't exactly grabbed me.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The 2 early ones I have (1988 & 1990) are simply "Asturias."
    yes, as far as I can figure they were just Asturias until they made their first acoustic album Birds Eye View after an 11 year hiatus from their first trilogy. After BEV they went back and forth between acoustic and electric versions of the band

Until this album, Fractals was by far their most impressive, though some who only like Symph style Prog might be put off by the elements of Jazz Rock style Prog on Fractals.

MPOML however, is pure Symph style bliss! From the first note to the last, this album plays as a single Symphonic suite. As it morphs through its many moods and passages it transports the listener on a journey not really witnessed in Symph Prog since Mike Oldfield's first 3 albums. That is not to say that MPOML is an Oldfield clone album. I personally find this album to be even more satisfying in the variety of moods and movements than my favorite Oldfield album, Ommadawn. I realize that is a bold statement, but if one does as I did and puts this album on their best stereo when there are no distractions and they can sit and really listen to the nuances I'm pretty sure that any Symph fan will find this album thoroughly enjoyable. For me personally, it is a stone cold instant classic and I've listened to it about 10 times now.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    That is not to say that MPOML is an Oldfield clone album. I personally find this album to be even more satisfying in the variety of moods and movements than my favorite Oldfield album, Ommadawn. I realize that is a bold statement, but if one does as I did and puts this album on their best stereo when there are no distractions and they can sit and really listen to the nuances I'm pretty sure that any Symph fan will find this album thoroughly enjoyable. For me personally, it is a stone cold instant classic and I've listened to it about 10 times now.
    Did not work for me. I have tried with my best and second best stereo system.

Btw. Ommadawn is my the favorite album ever.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Sounds interesting. Alas it isn't available over the store I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Sounds interesting. Alas it isn't available over the store I use.
    There are other stores than BOL though...

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    There are other stores than BOL though...
    I know, but Bol gives me the least hassle. I can easily pay with my bankaccount, without having a creditcard or paypall and I can pay after I've received the product.

Found a store in Delft that seems to be able to deliver some other albums of the same artist, but not this one.

It’s a very nice album, but it’s no Fractals. That’s the one to get if you can only get one. But if you like what they do, MPOML is a safe bet. Anything from In Search of the Soul Trees on is worth having.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I'm eating my words... not about this album, but about the possibility of people changing over 15 years

thank you
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing Electric Asturias on CTTE 2017!
    You will not be disappointed. Caught them twice in 2014 and they were fantastic.

Have to say that Missing Piece of My Life is a very enjoyable return to the more symphonic (in the actual sense of the word), somewhat Oldfield-influenced style of their early days (which I unashamedly like). It improves on In Search of the Soul Trees (are those the kind of trees that sway rhythmically in the wind and rustle their leaves to create 12-second melismas that sound like ”baby-baby-baby”?) which I found a little flat, especially on the melody apartment. It is quite beautiful. But it still represents more the prettiness of Hergest Ridge than the glory of Ommadawn.

Fractals remains the best of their recent releases, IMO. Elementals was very disappointing in comparison, much less compositionally inspired and uniform in arrangements. It often approached the feel of an accompanied violin solo, though generally a composed one, rather than jazz improvisation. At least Ohyama & sans are keeping busy and showing that you can do different things with the group's basic template.