Thread: Fans that prefer Classical Muisc to Prog.

Fans that prefer Classical Muisc to Prog.

Prog has always been a stepping stone to classical music for me, and, I would say the same for many of my friends. But I realize that the opposite is largely true, with classical music being many people's first love with prog following later. Do you fit that category?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

It happened at the same time for me. I've been playing in orchestras since I was 9 year old, now I make a living teaching strings for 20+ years now. Went to college and grad school studying classical music. Prog came to me around 7th or 8th grade, and I haven't looked back since. To me its not a competition, and my life is more complete for me since I am so immersed in both categories (amongst others). I wouldn't trade my music collection for anybody else's, its built around what I love. One of my favorite things to do is to turn classical music snobs onto prog, and vice-versa.

Just drove to my daughters music solo festival, around 50 minutes one way. In the card CD player: Cardiacs AND Sibelius. Loved both equally. Two utter fucking brilliant geniuses.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    > I wouldn't trade my music collection for anybody else's

Now that's a statement most of us would agree on. I suppose I might consider trading it for Greg Walker's or Ken Golden's if you included all the music in their sales stock. But probably there are a lot Marillion DVDs, CDs, etc. and other stuff neither of them have that I value, so no, I don't think I would trade with anyone.

I had a friend who was a classical organist who was quite surprised, in a positive way, when I played him Ars Nova’s Transi.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Prog was the gateway drug which got me hooked on Classical. Not just the Classical covers of Keith Emerson ,Par Lindh, and the like, but the art of composition and arrangement in music. Now I find myself listening to Classical more often than prog.

Different creatures for different purposes. And Classical music is so many things.
    Wouldnt want to be without any of them (or jazz, or...).

But the most interesting prog bands are those more influenced by the source than by other prog bands.

Nope... I kind of rejected much of the classical while I was a teen (my father kind of over-exposed us to it as kids), and TBH if I don't hate it , I've bought a few classic classical œuvres (in my book anyways), but never play them

Maybe one day
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.