Thread: Q&A with Martin Barre

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nice to see Martin giving himself (and others) their due credit for JT music over the years. The band, especially at its height, was not just Ian Anderson and a bunch of hired hands:

"The music of Jethro Tull for the most part belongs to Ian and myself, since he and I have pretty much composed all of the band’s music. Since Ian and I have been playing together for many years, we have a mutual respect for one another both as people and as musicians. It’s a marriage of understanding and giving the other person space, and knowing that the history and catalog of Jethro Tull’s music was of our making.

Ian got the songwriting credits because the legal bottom line is that he writes the lyrics and has the basic ideas for a song, and then I, or someone else in the band, contribute parts to it. On Thick as a Brick, for example, so much of that music came from [keyboardist] John Evan.

Back in those days no one thought of all the legalities and the way that songwriting and royalties were split and who would earn what. We were just a band making music, and we tried to make it to the best of our abilities. We all sat in a room and worked out songs together from the beginning. It might not be fair that Ian gets the songwriting credits, but I know I’m an important part of Jethro Tull’s music, even though my contributions are not on paper, which is not an issue with me. I’ve made a great career out of music, and I have no complaints or regrets."

Martin Barre did a great job for Tull, I happened to see him once on stage, when Tull came to Moscow at first time, in 2003.
    Now relistening Stormwatch, what a great album. And I love Live In Montreaux 2003, very nice arrangements of classic tracks.

Jethro tull on hiatus. Reading between the lines my interpretation is that Jethro Tull is no more. Maybe for the better. Ian has said to Martin that he didn't want to be in tull anymore. His voice is shot and when doing solo shows it would be fine for Ian to have a stand in for the difficult vocal parts but in Tull that wouldn't really work.

Goodbye Tull. You left an awesome legacy behind. One that will never disapear and will constantly bring joy to whoever listents to it. That's the thing about the old bands stopping. Their music won't dissapear and even though we are sad there wont be anything new from them i have taken the stance that instead i will enjoy what i have.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Barre is one of the most underrated guitarists in Rock, and a true gentleman. Whilst Anderson is a visionary, Martin has more than played his part in their success. It's hard to imagine Tull without MB by Ian's side. The one thing that slightly disappointed me about TAAB2 was that it was not a Tull album. I love Ian's solo work and the musicians on them, but the follow up should have been Tull. I know he put on the cover "Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson", but that's hardly the same thing, and you can't have Tull without Barre (not since 67 at least).

If we have seen the end of Tull, then I am glad I saw them many times, especially before Ian's voice troubles took hold. Who knows, they could still record a Tull album without touring it, though it does seem unlikely, as surely TAAB2 was the perfect opportunity.

Great interview, I love the part where he tells Iron Maiden not to cover another Tull track unless he gets to play on it! But I'm surprised he wasn't asked about TAAB2!!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Great interview, I love the part where he tells Iron Maiden not to cover another Tull track unless he gets to play on it! But I'm surprised he wasn't asked about TAAB2!!
    I'd be very surprised if it hadn't been discussed. All of the statements given by Barre and Anderson since they broke up Tull have been consistent and on-point, which, to me, is evidence that they did talk this all through and left each other on good terms. TAAB2 probably was an IA idea for the next Tull album, and Barre probably didn't feel like being a part of something that he'd have so little contributions toward. Both men seem happy right now doing their own things, and that may be how things will stay. Nevertheless, neither is saying that Tull is forever done - and that makes sense, since they may both have the urge to tour together again at some point. Also, an official "farewell" tour would surely generate more revenue than the most recent Tull tours did.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'd be very surprised if it hadn't been discussed. All of the statements given by Barre and Anderson since they broke up Tull have been consistent and on-point, which, to me, is evidence that they did talk this all through and left each other on good terms. TAAB2 probably was an IA idea for the next Tull album, and Barre probably didn't feel like being a part of something that he'd have so little contributions toward. Both men seem happy right now doing their own things, and that may be how things will stay. Nevertheless, neither is saying that Tull is forever done - and that makes sense, since they may both have the urge to tour together again at some point. Also, an official "farewell" tour would surely generate more revenue than the most recent Tull tours did.

Barre said in an interview that he didn't know anything about it and was hurt that he'd been left out. The same inteview wher he made the "Ian does not want to be in tull anymore" statement.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Barre said in an interview that he didn't know anything about it and was hurt that he'd been left out. The same inteview wher he made the "Ian does not want to be in tull anymore" statement.
    Oh - I wasn't aware. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Olesen View Post
    Goodbye Tull. You left an awesome legacy behind. One that will never disapear and will constantly bring joy to whoever listents to it. That's the thing about the old bands stopping. Their music won't dissapear and even though we are sad there wont be anything new from them i have taken the stance that instead i will enjoy what i have.
    Good words, Kim! Jethro Tull was one of the first line unique British rock groups. Although it's sad to say "Jethro Tull was", their music would never left our players for too long.

The best Martin Barre interview I've read so far and, IMHO, the most introspective. Seems like a rather egoless chap which allows me to say once again that he is one of the most underrated guitarists ever. His willingness to do just what the song required, no more and no less, is beyond admirable. How many in his position would have insisted on more of the spotlight be on them. Bravo!

An interesting point that I noticed he made was about TAAB and John Evan's contributions to it. I had always felt that it was, indeed, a keyboard-dominated album and Martin's comment to that point only cemented my feelings, even though it might have been at Martin's expense.

If there were any hard feelings between him and Ian about TAAB2 he sure didn't show it based on his words and specifically stating that he had no regrets whatsoever so bravo once again to one of my favorite guitarists ever, one that had bought me joy beyond words with his contributions in JT. And if JT is truly over then it was a GREAT run...!

Peace,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ajcmixer View Post
    An interesting point that I noticed he made was about TAAB and John Evan's contributions to it. I had always felt that it was, indeed, a keyboard-dominated album
    Yes, I recall Ian once mentioning that it was the most 'band composed' album in the catalogue.

Glad you guys enjoyed the interview! Martin's a swell chap.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yes, I recall Ian once mentioning that it was the most 'band composed' album in the catalogue.

Glad you guys enjoyed the interview! Martin's a swell chap.
    Hey, Progatron, did you have something to do with the interview/questions? Or did you just know about it and posted the link for us? Either way, thanks much!

Peace,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by ajcmixer View Post
    Hey, Progatron, did you have something to do with the interview/questions? Or did you just know about it and posted the link for us? Either way, thanks much!
    Alex,

I wish! No, I just shared it here, as I often do with little 'finds' I come across. My rule of thumb is, if I really like it, chances are someone else will too!