Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Zappa Family feud

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You're welcome. Has there ever been a 4 hour meeting that wasn't excruciating?
    15 minute meetings can be excruciating.

People are too hung up on names. Especially in the USA, where it seems only socially acceptable to name their kids the names that fall within the flavors of the year. I love odd/eccentric/cultural names.

Do orgies counts as meetings?

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Love me some Cheer! I had a friend in college - her last name was "Dickinsheetz" My best friends dad - Harry Grubb. lol
    We have a Dickinsheetz family in our school district.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    People are too hung up on names. Especially in the USA, where it seems only socially acceptable to name their kids the names that fall within the flavors of the year. I love odd/eccentric/cultural names.
    Who the hell would name their kid Chalkpie?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Do orgies counts as meetings?
    If you experience an orgy lasting more than four hours, notify your doctor.

"And every meeting with his so called superior
    Is like a humiliating kick in the crotch"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Someone who clearly naming his kid "Marqueson's Chicken" or "Sinister Footwear" or "Inca Roads" would be going too far.

I still can't get over the fact that there's a baseball player named Milton Bradley (really?! You named your kid after a board game company?!) and another one named Carlos Santana. I wonder who his father's favorite guitarist is, and also what his father had to do to win that argument. Or maybe it was his mother who had the hots for Señor Carlos..or maybe the kid was conceived while the Woodstock version of Soul Sacrifice was playing...or maybe it was the Lotus version of Incident At Neshabur.

I wonder if the kids at Carlos Santana's school were hip enough to tease him about being named after a world class guitarist.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I still can't get over the fact that there's a baseball player named....Carlos Santana. I wonder who his father's favorite guitarist is, and also what his father had to do to win that argument. Or maybe it was his mother who had the hots for Señor Carlos..or maybe the kid was conceived while the Woodstock version of Soul Sacrifice was playing...or maybe it was the Lotus version of Incident At Neshabur.
    Or maybe it was because Santana is a common surname and Carlos is a common first name in Spanish-speaking countries (such as the Dominican Republic where he is from).
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Mompie.

Don't forget that according to the liners of Grand Funk Railroad 'Live', somewhere out there is someone named Grand Funk Railroad....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Or maybe it was because Santana is a common surname and Carlos is a common first name in Spanish-speaking countries (such as the Dominican Republic where he is from).
    Well, thank you for stating the blatantly obvious.

Don't forget that according to the liners of Grand Funk Railroad 'Live', somewhere out there is someone named Grand Funk Railroad....
    I remember David Letterman interviewing Phil Collins, circa 84 or 85, and Dave specifically asks him about Sussudio. Now, I guess by now we all know the story, but to quickly summarize, Phil was playing around in his home studio, just sort of making up sounds to go with the melody he was working on (actually, a lot of songwriters do that, they think more about the rhythm and melody before they worry about what the actual words are gonna be), and that's what came out of his mouth. He couldn't come up with any actual words that meant anything that he thought sounded as good with that melody, so he had to invent a meaning for this word "sussudio", which ended up being a girl's name.

Dave: You expect the record buying public to put down their hard earned money for that?!
    Phil: Well it worked, didn't it?
    Dave: Well yes, but have you ever in your life met a girl named Sussudio?
    Phil: No, but give it nine months time!

Supposedly there's a cadre of Marillion fans who named their daughters after Kayleigh.

And I thought I read somewhere that Bill and Hilary named Chelsea after a Joni Mitchell song.

But getting back to Zappa. I listened to the "unlistenable" 80's remix of Hot Rats today, and I still think it sounds just fine. I guess at some point, I'm going to have to pick that (relatively) recent reissue where they finally reverted back to the original mix.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    15 minute meetings can be excruciating.
    If you're into leather.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    If you're into leather.
    Or lather!

Or Naugahyde.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    But getting back to Zappa. I listened to the "unlistenable" 80's remix of Hot Rats today, and I still think it sounds just fine. I guess at some point, I'm going to have to pick that (relatively) recent reissue where they finally reverted back to the original mix.
    I guess it's blasphemy or something, but I like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I guess it's blasphemy or something, but I like both.
    I'll see your blasphemy and raise you a preference of Guitar over Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'll see your blasphemy and raise you a preference of Guitar over Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar.
    I wish he'd glued the Guitar tracks together like he did with SUAPYG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I wish he'd glued the Guitar tracks together like he did with SUAPYG.
    I dunno, I kinda like the way he segued a lot of the tracks on Guitar, almost making it sound in places like one big composition.

!

Supposedly there's a cadre of Marillion fans who named their daughters after Kayleigh.
    I named my first cat Kayleigh.

I've met a couple of young women who are the right age and have that name, and I had the good sense and manners not to ask.

At least one came in for an intern interview some years ago.

And I thought I read somewhere that Bill and Hilary named Chelsea after a Joni Mitchell song.
    Woke up, it was a Chelsea morning and the first thing that I saw.

Yes.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm not sure anyone called it 'unlistenable'...it's not, and it at least doesn't have any ropey 80s sounds on it. But it's also not the original, and not as good as it....as an alternate version, it has merit.

I think this 80s mix is now out of print?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post

I think this 80s mix is now out of print?
    Yes, although it should be easy to find in all of the CD pressings from 1987 until 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Bass will sound "thin" if it is out of phase.
    What's weird about Hot Rats is that there are sections (within the same song) where the bass seems very thin and other areas where it sounds massive. I'd be really interested to know if the 2012 remaster actually resolves that issue (assuming it's not as intended).
    <sig out of order>