Thread: Why no Moon Safari live DVD/BR?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Why no Moon Safari live DVD/BR?

Probably either someone from MS or Geeze, unofficial Moon Safari spokesperson, can give some insight, but I'm surprised there's been no official video release from Moon Safari. I'd love too see one. Any plans? Loved them on CTTE 2015 - there's was the first show I caught, so they hold a special place.

No clue here.

Now that you mention it......
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Their first ROSfest show that is the basis of their live album The Gettysburg Address was in fact filmed for a DVD release. When I asked Tobias later why it hadn't yet been released, he said that it was too expensive, among other reasons.

Makes sense that $$ is an issue. Do you think they are big enough to successfully crowdfund for this? IF they wanted the DVD to come out, that is...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Makes sense that $$ is an issue. Do you think they are big enough to successfully crowdfund for this? IF they wanted the DVD to come out, that is...
    Crowdfunding seems like it would be a good option, though it also seems like a somewhat smaller label might do a video release. Let's hope!

Another option might be to release the video coverage on Amazon. Something similar to what Discipline did with its Rosfest footage.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Simon says (!) they want to do something "soon", as they've just changed their drummer (talked to him yesterday).
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Simon says (!) they want to do something "soon", as they've just changed their drummer (talked to him yesterday).
    Do you mean after Tobias, or has there been another change?

BTW, I'm going to see Stockholm band Dungen tonight here in town at the same club I sometimes sing at. I read that the guitar player has played with Paatos & Landberk.

Simon, Petter and the departed Tobias have been long-distance friends of mine for several years since they first played RoSFest. Simon & I share a love of the Hi-Los. When my (may as well have been) wife Kay died in 2014, I received very nice messages from them.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Do you mean after Tobias, or has there been another change?
    ...after Tobias I suppose... (Mikael Israelsson)

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    ...after Tobias I suppose... (Mikael Israelsson)
    That change I knew about. I met Mikael at one of the afterparties when Black Bonzo played RoSFest. Both Mr. Lundgren & Mr. Israelson can bring it!

BTW, I'm going to see Stockholm band Dungen tonight here in town at the same club I sometimes sing at. I read that the guitar player has played with Paatos & Landberk.
    Damn! That should be great! Have to see if they're playing in NYC. Probably somewhere in Brooklyn.

Never anything in Madison when I'm there! Of course that's probably a good thing. Madison offers enough as it is.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 05-14-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Hmm, Bowery Ballroom in June actually. Might have to go...

That change I knew about. I met Mikael at one of the afterparties when Black Bonzo played RoSFest. Both Mr. Lundgren & Mr. Israelson can bring it!
    Well, I haven't seen MS live before yesterday night but it was a helluva performance from Mikael! It seems he adds energy to the band! Simon referred to him as one of the reasons for the added momentum

Tonight Kaipa DaCapo plays the same minute stage as MS...

They know you don't have a BR yet.
    <sig out of order>

I saw them supporting Yes in London last week, played for 30 minutes and finished by dedicating Constant Bloom to Chris Squire - they went down very well with the Yes crowd.

old thread I know but I've been listening to a lot of Moon Safari lately

I do hope that if in fact The Gettysburg Address was filmed that it does get released someday. We lament the fact that some of our favorite bands from the 60-70's lack great video documents of their best tours and lineups. And the same thing seems to be happening for some of today's best bands. Youtube footage is one thing but nothing beats a professionally filmed show.

For Moon Safari the only thing I've been able to find is from The Best Of... 2Days Prog+1 - festival appearance in 2013. Three songs "Heartland, A Kid Called Panic and Constant Bloom" I've bought several of these Best of 2Days sets for shows by Flower Kings, Agents of Mercy, Tangent, Pain of Salvation etc. For the most part these are very well done.

Which brings to mind another question. Are other prog festivals filmed? What about Cruise to the Edge? Wasn't Prog Nation at Sea filmed? Transatlantic usually releases everything but never released their set with Jon Anderson.

If MS has footage stored away somewhere, I certainly would contribute to a crowdfunded BD/DVD.

The only pro video I can recall from CTTE is the one that Bad Dreams released.

I don't get it. As Jed can attest, we (3RDegree) have released videos-albeit I did the technical work-and don't see why bands find it too "expensive" UNLESS the people who are holding the footage are charging a lot for it's release or their editing of it. Editing video and matching audio and making a nice enough package is do-able for a band of Moon Safari's "level". A lot of times bands don't feel a video recorded performance was one of their better performances and just sit on the footage and never do anything with it.

I wish Moon Safari would release anything new. Been a while.