Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Artists who remade their own songs

Jeff Cannata often remade songs he first recorded on albums from Arc Angel, Cannata and Jasper Wrath, like Wanted: Dead Or Alive, Fortune Teller and Stars.

King Of The Mountain by Arc Angel:

Couldn't find a clip of his rework on Mysterium Magnum-album, but there is a short sample on https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/cannata

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Journey re-recorded many of their hits with Arnel Pineda as a bonus disc on Revelation.
    That reminded me of Regeneration by Styx, new recordings of their greatest hits (and a couple of Damn Yankees tunes) with Lawrence Gowan and the rest of the current lineup:

And also Asia (featuring John Payne)'s "Anthology" best of, with new recordings of all the hits from the first three albums, after Wetton blocked them from using the original recordings.

Also has a great version of The Hunter, which Downes originally gave to GTR:

This actually seems to happen a lot with Japanese bands for some reason. I do know that there are two versions of Ain Soph’s “Variations on a Theme by Brian Smith,” on A Story of Mysterious Forest and Marine Menagerie, and these two versions sound NOTHING alike. Not only that, I can’t hear the relation in either version to the song on which it’s allegedly based (“Hector’s House” by Ian Carr).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Ritchie Blackmore remade "Child in Time" with Blackmore's Night.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

There are quite a few versions of "Forbidden Colours", originally by David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto for the movie Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence.
    Sylvian did a new recording for his album Secrets Of The Beehive, while Sakamoto released both orchestral and piano-versions of the instrumental score.

From the movie

From Secrets Of The Beehive

D'oh - just listened to it this morning ...
    ELP - The Return of the Manticore - Disc 1, re-recorded Pictures, Touch and Go, I believe in Father Christmas
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Two versions of Cruise Control from The (Dixie) Dregs

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Dolly Parton wrote and recorded "I Will Always Love You" in '74 and then re-recorded it again in '82. Of course we know that Whitney Houston had a mega hit years later - as much as some country purists diss Houston's version as a classic example of over-singing, it was pretty close to the style Parton sang it for the '82 remake. I do prefer the '74 version but the song itself reached the Billboard Top-10 each time it was released and even recharted again after Whitney Houston's untimely death. Parton could probably live comfortably off that one song alone.

Banned
    My favourite Yugo-Prog band Smak in 2015 were revised their song Mračni mol ("The Dark Mole") from their s/t debut released in 1975.

In the new version, the tone is lowered (Ab major / F minor) and the guitar tune down for the whole step. I think that the new version is way better.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 05-07-2016 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Dolly Parton wrote and recorded "I Will Always Love You" in '74 and then re-recorded it again in '82.
    Wasn’t the remake for the Best Little Whore House in Texas movie?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Rob Reed from Magenta rerecorded "All Around the World" from the Cyan album "Pictures from the Other Side" as the star-studded neo-prog charity version (with some alternate takes). Both versions are great.

Kevin Ayers, "Why Are We Sleeping" ----> "It Begins With A Blessing"
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Didn't read all the way back, but if not mentioned, Steely Dan "remakes" a lot of their material every time they play live, and the slowed-down bluesy, shuffle version of "Reelin' In The Years" is on their old live album.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Kayak remade Merlin and turned it from a one side concept, to a complete concept album.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Didn't read all the way back, but if not mentioned, Steely Dan "remakes" a lot of their material every time they play live, and the slowed-down bluesy, shuffle version of "Reelin' In The Years" is on their old live album.
    If it's about live playing, I think Joe Jackson fits the bill as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    If it's about live playing, I think Joe Jackson fits the bill as well.
    As does Zimmerman.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    As does Zimmerman.
    Indeed. I often have a hard time recognizing many of the reworked numbers until I hear the lyrics. (Assuming I can understand him. )
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"