Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Little Kids' Reactions to Prog

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Well, it's accessible in that it rocks, and in that the songs are relatively short and structurally straightforward, but the details of their music can be odd and a bit of an acquired taste: Funk licks in several keys and time signatures simultaneously, no one actually playing chords to nail down the harmony, melodic lines full of large jumps, John Weathers's squared-off Bonham-esque pounding, and again, Derek's strained voice - they didn't sound like anybody else or like anything else. It could be a tough nut to crack.
    I guess I think of that TV footage from Giant on the Box. They seem so much fun and accessible.

I used to scare my daughter half to death before realizing that the lyrics of the Moody Blue's song Legend Of A Mind were about "Timothy Leary being dead and on the outside looking in". She thought some ghost was outside her window at night trying to look in on her. That's me and the misses bought her a night light for her room! LOL
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I guess I think of that TV footage from Giant on the Box. They seem so much fun and accessible.
    Oh, they were one hell of a live band. It was their real strength - there was so much energy coming off that stage, so much musical talent on display, that you didn't even notice or think about how truly odd and contradictory their music was. You just got caught up in their crazy mix of medieval counterpoint, 20th-Century polytonal harmony, prog complexity, and bar-band R&B, and didn't stop to question whether it hung together stylistically at all.

My kids always got hooked on The Beatles at their early ages, because I tried to play music that was more accessible than, say, "Echoes." Last year, my 18-year-old asked me what prog was. I think she actually appreciated it, but still listens to Top 40. I do think she has the best chance of being open-minded (in many ways), than my other two daughters.

On a somewhat related story, I recall playing the Moody Blues one day many years ago, when my mother walked into the room and stated, "Now, THAT is really nice music!" Then, I told her that they were dropping acid when they made it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Another with my son many years ago when he was about 9 or 10. I told him that Black Sabbath had a pretty spooky/scary song. He was interested and said he wanted to hear it. I said ok but we should listen with the lights off (it was evening) and turn it up a bit. He was fine with that. I put on the debut Sabbath album, first song and we both sat on the couch entranced. I don't think either of us said a word as the song played.
    At the end of the song I put the lights back on and asked him what he thought. He said "you were right, that was pretty scary."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My youngest boy (15) has obviously grown up listening to my prog in the background. I never forced anything on him all at but more recently he has been borrowing my CD's every week and likes Crim, Genesis, Yes, and he's just warming up. He really likes Thrak.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Oh, they were one hell of a live band. It was their real strength - there was so much energy coming off that stage, so much musical talent on display, that you didn't even notice or think about how truly odd and contradictory their music was. You just got caught up in their crazy mix of medieval counterpoint, 20th-Century polytonal harmony, prog complexity, and bar-band R&B, and didn't stop to question whether it hung together stylistically at all.
    That's it exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    My kids always got hooked on The Beatles at their early ages, because I tried to play music that was more accessible than, say, "Echoes." Last year, my 18-year-old asked me what prog was. I think she actually appreciated it, but still listens to Top 40. I do think she has the best chance of being open-minded (in many ways), than my other two daughters.

On a somewhat related story, I recall playing the Moody Blues one day many years ago, when my mother walked into the room and stated, "Now, THAT is really nice music!" Then, I told her that they were dropping acid when they made it.
    Wait, she's 18 and you hadn't had the Prog talk with her? Or was she asking "What IS Prog?"

I've been thinking of starting a thread about this, just because I'm very proud of my 17 year old sons musical taste. It's influenced by mine, but he's gone off in some different directions too.

He loves The Doors and Lou Reed/Velvet Underground best, most Floyd including Syd era, and also more paisley stuff than I usually like, like Love and Donovan.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Or was she asking "What IS Prog?"
    Yes, and I answered it quite succinctly. Then I played her some examples, like "The Gates of Delirium" and Jon's "Animation," (which I happened to be listening to at the time).

Of course, I did make sure she understood where it began. Classical music and "Strawberry Fields Forever."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

my little girl just turned 5
    her favorite song since for over a year now has been Carry On Wayward Son. She learned the words when she was 4 and always wants me to play it...

she just asked me to find it on her Piano app, but they don't have it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I used to scare my daughter half to death before realizing that the lyrics of the Moody Blue's song Legend Of A Mind were about "Timothy Leary being dead and on the outside looking in". She thought some ghost was outside her window at night trying to look in on her. That's me and the misses bought her a night light for her room! LOL
    I guess that's better than explaining to her what an acid trip is.

I was worried that this was going to be a link to one of those inane clickbait videos. “Kids React to Rotary Phones” or whatever.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...