Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Prince dead at 57

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Shocking news. While he may not fit into the "prog" category he was a visionary and creative musician whose music spanned multiple genres.
    Some of his stuff came pretty close to prog imo.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

2016 you vile creature. already i have had enough of you. RiP master.

is there a type of music he *didnt* do?
    I have albums by him that are Prog and others that are Jazz
    man, he did it all!

I am so looking forward to meeting him when he is resurrected in the age to come

Acts 24:15
    2 Peter 3:13
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    I'm living here in minneapolis. And it's just nucking futs! I had no idea how huge he was here! He actually played as private show at paisley Park on sat. Thousands are already gathering there and at first avenue. Half or more of the city will be lit up in purple. I personally wasn't a big fan but have always respected his musicianship. He is God in this city.
    I'm similar. I liked most of his songs that were played on the radio but a friend played music from the 90s that I liked more than I thought. The Artist did not slow down a bit. Since from Wisconsin, I knew he was huge in Minneapolis. One of his funny quotes is that one reason he liked living in Minneapolis "is because the cold keeps the bad people away."

and now the Google logo is lit up in purple.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

RIP

He was a GIANT.
    Well said.

He was, indeed, a giant talent.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Gone too soon. “Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
    And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest. ”

― William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Hopefully this doesn't end up being the cause of death…

PRINCE TREATED FOR DRUG OVERDOSE DAYS BEFORE DEATH

Prince was treated for a drug overdose 6 days before his death ... multiple sources tell TMZ.

We broke the story ... Prince's private jet made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois last Friday, hours after he performed in Atlanta. At the time his reps said he was battling the flu ... something we questioned because his plane was only 48 minutes from home before the unscheduled landing.

Multiple sources in Moline tell us, Prince was rushed to a hospital and doctors gave him a "save shot" ... typically administered to counteract the effects of an opiate.
    Our sources further say doctors advised Prince to stay in the hospital for 24 hours. His people demanded a private room, and when they were told that wasn't possible ... Prince and co. decided to bail. The singer was released 3 hours after arriving and flew home.

We're told when Prince left he "was not doing well."

We know authorities in Minnesota are trying to get the hospital records from Moline to help determine cause of death.
    We have made more than a dozen attempts to reach Prince's reps for comment, but they went radio silent

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Maybe someone mentioned this, but Google has a special Prince logo now. Nice, did they do that for Bowie? Didn't think so but I might just be forgetting. Yeah, I know it's the evil Google, but whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    and now the Google logo is lit up in purple.
    there is also purple rain falling upon the logo

Clicking the image takes you to "Prince music"

I'm hearing all sorts of rumors from HIV positive to refusing medical treatment because he was Jahovah Witness--

and TMZ is reporting a drug overdose a week ago--so who knows

none of it matters---

Phil Collins was a huge fan---Sususudio was a rip off of 1999---as Phil has mentioned

I loved some of his songs during the Purple Rain period---wasn't the hugest fan but loved his artistry. RIP
    Last edited by 2steves; 04-21-2016 at 10:25 PM.

Back in 1983 one of the first albums I bought on tape was "1999." I liked it for a while, but I lost interest. The non-hit song I remembered was "All The Critics Love U In New York." Very bizarre number, that.

Later, I did appreciate the Beatlishness of "Raspberry Beret" in an era when that sound wasn't terribly popular. Apart from that, he was a pretty big influence on funk-pop-a-roll. And as I'm sure people have already mentioned ad nauseam (EDIT: including the guy above me), the guy who ruined Genesis ripped off one of his songs!
    Last edited by ThomasKDye; 04-21-2016 at 11:39 PM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    I'm hearing all sorts of rumors from HIV positive to refusing medical treatment because he was Jahovah Witness--
    Not to feed the rumor mill or anything, but HIV tends to ravage one's body. He played solo shows here in the Bay Area really recently. Given the impact of HIV on communities here I think somebody would have noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    none of it matters---
    Indeed.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I saw on Wiki that he was a Jehovah Witness and wondered if there was a connection with being reluctant to going to a doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    MTV & MTV2 are currently running Prince music videos and concerts and have cancelled their regular programming...
    Funny that the only time MTV plays actual music is when someone passes away.

RIP. Truly a creative force. Curious what other stuff he had in his vault.

Banned
    RIP

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

I saw on Wiki that he was a Jehovah Witness and wondered if there was a connection with being reluctant to going to a doctor.
    Jehovah's Witnesses go to doctors; many of them are. Just do not take blood transfusions.

I have never really been a fan of his music, but there is no doubt that the man was an incredible talent.

I remember being at summer camp as a 14 year old. It was crystal clear to me that if I memorized every tiny detail of the song "1999" and was prepared to lip-sync to it and do an interpretive dance on demand, then any girl at the camp would be instantly infatuated with my chubby self. So I spent one evening in a cot listening to it on a borrowed cassette over and over again, probably 30 or 40 times. Woke up the next morning and never took the opportunity to move on to the next step of my plan.

But somehow after those dozens of listens I never tired of the song and still like to hear it. If I were to pick Best Pop Song Ever it would have to be a finalist.

Funny how many of us have said "Never really a fan of his music but respected his artistry..."

All you non-fans should watch this and be instantly converted: https://vk.com/video38261821_168919915

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    All you non-fans should watch this and be instantly converted: https://vk.com/video38261821_168919915
    Just keeps loading. I have very fast internet and a six month old computer.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    dude was a complete performer

and made some great music in whatever style he chose to play

I have 2 Symph/concept Prog albums by him and another 3 Jazz Rock Prog albums by him. His 80s hits dont show all of the things he could do
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?