Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prog Demographics Part 4: Jethro Tull vs. Rush

This is extremely unfair. Tull is my second favourite band next to Genesis, but Rush is in my top five as well, and they're my hometown boys. Seen them nine times since Presto, lived and breathed their music since I was about fifteen years old (so, nine hundred years ago). I love every album they've made. Don't make me say it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

tumblr_inline_nb6si1Ulwe1qbfnpw.jpg

Yes, she loves Rush, she can't really appreciate Toe's magic flute

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I don't think these threads pitting a band VS another band OR album VS album are Main Forum worthy since they are rather fodder-esque. OT these in the future please. Thanks, S!
    Though I participâted in the first three, I'm not sure I want to see PE evolve in a flurry of PA-type of dumb XYZ vs ZYX threads.

Tull for me (I own 12 thingies of theirs, while only 4 from Rush)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Tull is "prog" allright! Rush has been progressive all their career...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I have 99% everything that Tull has put out and 0% of everything that Rush has put out.
    I'm the exact opposite. Still haven't happened to hear anything by Tull that grabbed me, but I'll keep trying.
    <sig out of order>

I have 99% everything that Tull has put out and 0% of everything that Rush has put out.
    Same here.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I don't think these threads pitting a band VS another band OR album VS album are Main Forum worthy since they are rather fodder-esque. OT these in the future please. Thanks, S!
    No problem, Sean. They are just for fun and, hopefully, they might spark up a few actual prog discussions along the way.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Though I participâted in the first three, I'm not sure I want to see PE evolve in a flurry of PA-type of dumb XYZ vs ZYX threads.

Tull for me (I own 12 thingies of theirs, while only 4 from Rush)
    Keep XYZ out of it dude, it's a helluva 'prog instrumental' track hahah

All of these emotional responses are interesting, but I just got word back from home on Vulcan that every rationalist knows that Rush is the better band.

I just don't understand why people inject emotion into their favorite music.

As if music is supposed to "move" you.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Prog Demographics Part 4: Jethro Tull vs. Rush. Which do you prefer?
    Tull. Far more variety and better lyrics.

I have more Jethro albums than Rush. I like both but both bands are so different from each other it's hard to say which is "better" (for me). I guess based on the entire body of work by each band I'd have to pick Jethro Tull.

Early Tull easily beats early Rush, but mature Rush (FTK->GUP) appeals to me more than mature Tull (TAAB->Stormwatch), hence another draw.

Tull

At their peak, it is Jethro Tull by a light year. Lee's Donald Duck singing and Peart's robotically precise drumming wears thin, and Lifeson isn't really a great guitarist. It simply doesn't breathe. From Stand Up to Songs From The Wood, Tull smokes Rush...

I will say that lyrically, both bands are interesting, and moreso than most prog bands. Lee's delivery, OTOH...

Bob

Jethro Tull by miles for me.

With the exception of a few songs, Rush never did a thing for me.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

VS.

Jethro Tull by a mile.
    This is a classic! What wit!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Hmm, let's see... white collar or blue collar? White for me. Just sold the only Rush album I ever owned.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Definitely Tull. Even on Rush's best albums there is usually fluff.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I don't have THAT much Tull, but the same amount of Rush. Amazed that Rush even gets discussed.

Jethro Tull, very easy choice for me.

Rush has always been a totally irrelevant band in the country where I live. It seems the hype around them and their popularity applies only to North America.
    Rush music could never catch on among rock music listeners here, it just doesn't have any appeal to music fans, while there was a pretty solid interest for Tull over here.

Unlike Tull, I think Rush music could be mostly perceived as boring-ass music to Serbian rock music fans. Plus most people wouldn't like Geddy Lee's weird voice.
    Last edited by Kum Ruzvelt; 04-14-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kum Ruzvelt View Post
    Jethro Tull, very easy choice for me.

Rush has always been a totally irrelevant band in the country where I live. It seems the hype around them and their popularity applies only to North America.
    Rush music could never catch on among rock music listeners here, it just doesn't have any appeal to music fans, while there was a pretty solid interest for Tull over here.

Unlike Tull, I think Rush music could be mostly perceived as boring-ass music to Serbian rock music fans. Plus most people wouldn't like Geddy Lee's weird voice.
    There was often interest in European countries in having Rush tour for them. So, do you mean that if in the late 70’s/early 80s Rush had offered to perform in Serbia and your government had assented, there’d have been no interest at that time among any Serbian music fans?

Or do you mean current Serbians aren’t interested in Rush (which I believe)?

even the lads in Rush would defer to the mighty Jethro!

(didn't Geddy say the best concert he ever saw was Tull in 1972 on the Thick As A Brick tour?!! that should answer this.)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There was often interest in European countries in having Rush tour for them. So, do you mean that if in the late 70’s/early 80s Rush had offered to perform in Serbia and your government had assented, there’d have been no interest at that time among any Serbian music fans?

Or do you mean current Serbians aren’t interested in Rush (which I believe)?

I think in the late 70's and early 80's they would be of very minority interest over here and in that period they were mainly an unknown band in Serbia and pretty much in most of mainland Europe. Rush has always been a way bigger deal in North America than Europe. Then classic rock fans in these regions generally have been into many other bands, either domestic or foreign and Rush really never caught on here and became a famous name.
    Last edited by Kum Ruzvelt; 04-14-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Two of my all time favorites, and the first two bands I took interest in. Tull, because, well - their variety and Ian Anderson's songs, but wouldn't want to live without either.